RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 9, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #2,312 of 6,038
Isn't the goal of crossfeed to reduce listening fatigue by crossfeeding up to certain frequencies in the other channel, like a speaker would do. Which results in a slightly more narrow stereo image but with less strain on each ear?
That sure is the effect of purpose, but the question is which device does it better

May 9, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #2,313 of 6,038
Isn't the goal of crossfeed to reduce listening fatigue by crossfeeding up to certain frequencies in the other channel, like a speaker would do. Which results in a slightly more narrow stereo image but with less strain on each ear?
I don't think the purpose of crossfeed is to reduce listening fatigue. It is simply an effect to ease the radical stereo separation of headphones and make the sound more like speakers in a room by mixing the the two channels as it is mixed by nature when you are listening to speakers.
To my personal experience crossfeed does narrow down the soundstage a bit, but at the same time it sounds much more natural and lifelike. I used crossfeed level 2 on my TT2 and I stick with level 2 crossfeed on my RME ADI2 as well. IMO Chord crossfeed implementation is better, the effect comes across slightly more natural and more believable. That said the RME crossfeed to me is good enough not to miss the Chord version of it.

May 9, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #2,314 of 6,038
I don't think the purpose of crossfeed is to reduce listening fatigue. It is simply an effect to ease the radical stereo separation of headphones and make the sound more like speakers in a room by mixing the the two channels as it is mixed by nature when you are listening to speakers.
To my personal experience crossfeed does narrow down the soundstage a bit, but at the same time it sounds much more natural and lifelike. I used crossfeed level 2 on my TT2 and I stick with level 2 crossfeed on my RME ADI2 as well. IMO Chord crossfeed implementation is better, the effect comes across slightly more natural and more believable. That said the RME crossfeed to me is good enough not to miss the Chord version of it.

I fantasize about tt2. Maybe one day a used model can be 3k and I can reach that.

But is the resolution and clarity significantly better and instantly observed as being superior to the rme adi-2 dac
?

May 9, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #2,315 of 6,038
I fantasize about tt2. Maybe one day a used model can be 3k and I can reach that.

But is the resolution and clarity significantly better and instantly observed as being superior to the rme adi-2 dac
?
Yes, it is obviously better. But not four times better.

May 9, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #2,317 of 6,038
Sorry to derail a little but while I have your experienced attention.... Is tt2 much better in clarity and resolution va the Hugo 2? Is it 2x better?
It is a different experience. Hugo 2 if you listen the first time strikes you with all those details, soundstage and instrument placement. TT2 sounds even more natural and more lifelike with an even bigger soundstage and more natural details. A little bit like arriving from a small studio stage to a real open air stage.

May 9, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #2,318 of 6,038
It is a different experience. Hugo 2 if you listen the first time strikes you with all those details, soundstage and instrument placement. TT2 sounds even more natural and more lifelike with an even bigger soundstage and more natural details. A little bit like arriving from a small studio stage to a real open air stage.
I wonder why even bother with the rme in your position? Is it the eq needs?

May 9, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #2,320 of 6,038
No, it is about life management and re-prioritising my financial goals. Secondly, a 2K system with my music and usage scenario is actually fulfilling enough. I don't really need to spend 3-4K more to achieve what I want from my audio system. Keep in mind, this is an extremely personal hobby. Needs and wants are very different and they change by hour.
I am with you on this. I heard the TT2 and fell in love with it, but even with that I couldn't justify the expenditure of three times as much over my current system, especially in these difficult times of financial instability.

May 13, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #2,321 of 6,038
I have the RME ADI-2 and Sony MDR-Z1R. I actually have 2 of the RME, one in my home system and 1 for the office. I like the DAC and EQ in the RME. Anyway, my question is for the RME ADI-2 + Sony MDR-Z1R combo.

I'd like to hear a little more slam/punch/attach from this combo. Although the Z1R are supposed to be easy to drive, I am thinking that adding an Amp to the mix will help with the slam/punch/attack.

I see folks mention the THX789, but in reading the feedback, some say it helps a tiny bit and others say the 789 helps a noticeable amount. I'd like to be sure if I spend some $$$ that I really see some improvement. So what would folks consider the next step up from the THX 789? I need to keep the amp cost under $1000 new or used. Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #2,322 of 6,038
I have the RME ADI-2 and Sony MDR-Z1R. I actually have 2 of the RME, one in my home system and 1 for the office. I like the DAC and EQ in the RME. Anyway, my question is for the RME ADI-2 + Sony MDR-Z1R combo.

I'd like to hear a little more slam/punch/attach from this combo. Although the Z1R are supposed to be easy to drive, I am thinking that adding an Amp to the mix will help with the slam/punch/attack.

I see folks mention the THX789, but in reading the feadback, some say it helps a tiny bit and others say the 789 helps a noticeable amount. I'd like to be sure if I spend some $$$ that I really see some improvement. So what would folks consider the next step up from the THX 789? I need to keep the amp cost under $1000 new or used. Do you have any suggestions?
I think the RME can drive your Z1R pretty well. I have recently impulse bought the 789 to see if it brings any improvements with my LCD2C/LCD-X headphones connected to the RME (balanced). I have to say, all it brought is distortion and sound degradation. This is not to bring down the 789 performance, it is an absolutely phenomenal amp for the price. (!)
But you don't need the 789 if you already have the RME with efficient headphones. This is all from SE out though, I am yet to receive my balanced headphones cables which might change my opinion, although I am quite sceptical about that after this SE experience.

May 13, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #2,323 of 6,038

I see folks mention the THX789, but in reading the feedback, some say it helps a tiny bit and others say the 789 helps a noticeable amount. I'd like to be sure if I spend some $$$ that I really see some improvement. So what would folks consider the next step up from the THX 789? I need to keep the amp cost under $1000 new or used. Do you have any suggestions?
I have had that combo for a while now. I do think the THX is an improvement over the amp in the RME, especially for air, soundstage and separation. You just have to balance the output of the RME just right with that of the THX or you will get the added distortion Betula is referring to. This is for all of my headphones too.

May 13, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #2,324 of 6,038
I have had that combo for a while now. I do think the THX is an improvement over the amp in the RME, especially for air, soundstage and separation. You just have to balance the output of the RME just right with that of the THX or you will get the added distortion Betula is referring to. This is for all of my headphones too.
What do you exactly mean by 'balancing the output on the RME'?

Edit: I think I got it now. You think the balanced headphone out will sound much superior to the SE out. As soon as I have received my balanced headphone cable I will report back. Hopefully in 4-5 days.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #2,325 of 6,038

How do you balance the output of the RME just right with the amp? Is there a recommended Line Out volume for the RME when running as a DAC only?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back