RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Apr 28, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #2,266 of 6,034
If you are up to really big improvements... To be honest DACs like TT2, Bartock or way more expensive ones aren’t that enormously better. Of course they will sound better in most ways. But only to a certain point. For some this improvement is exactly what they are looking for all the time. For others it’s noticeable but not worth the price, because you spend 5x (and even more) the money for the last little bit.
If I were you I would go for a mscaled TT2 for a more obvious jump. But still... The differences aren’t that much obvious like (for example) jumping from a 200€ to a 1500€ DAC. Even the most mastering engineers work with DACs within the 1500-3000€ range. For example: Howie Weinberg relies on Myteks Brooklyn (DAC and ADC)

I agree. I heard the TT2/Mscaler. While I thought it was great, I really didn’t feel it that outstanding considering the price jump. I heard refinement more that a complete change in the SQ.

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #2,267 of 6,034
In a stereo speaker setup what power amp are ADI-2 users using (if using a power amp)?

I just got an XTZ Edge A2 300 amp to try out with my ADI-2 versus my Aura Groove integrated (has inbuilt dac) and the sound is so so different I'm not sure if I like it or not yet (I really want to).

I definitely need the volume higher on the ADI-2 -> A2 300 for it to sound full and punchy, the Aura Groove has the punchy impact-full sound from low volumes. This is even with Loudness function enabled on the ADI-2 (although it helps). I think this is the most disappointing thing as I often listen at lower volumes.

Maybe I'm used to a more 'colored' listening experience and the ADI-2 -> A2 300 is closer to flat and to my ears a little metallic, bass weight light.

Given that the A2 300 amp is a forth the cost of the Aura Groove I think it does a lot of things better than it, just not sure if it's my tastes yet. Maybe I can learn to enjoy it.

I was really hoping to find a small form class-d power amp to pair with an ADI-2 that I plugged in and loved immediately. Same feeling I had when I got the ADI-2 for headphones.
What source are you using for music content? It makes a huge difference! And unless your a purist there are so many options to "tailor" your sound with the RME you can't go wrong.

May 3, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #2,268 of 6,034
Hey everyone,
a friend asked me yesterday if an ADI 2 DAC can be used in his system as a pre-amplifier only. I'm not good with connection based questions, so decided to ask here instead :)
His system is - Bosedorfer speakers, tube single ended amplifier, tube CD and he wants to use it as a pre-amplifier for his CD and streamer from Cambridge audio ... something like that.
Thanks in advance!

May 3, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #2,269 of 6,034
No, there is no analog-in.

May 3, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #2,270 of 6,034
Hey everyone,
a friend asked me yesterday if an ADI 2 DAC can be used in his system as a pre-amplifier only. I'm not good with connection based questions, so decided to ask here instead :)
His system is - Bosedorfer speakers, tube single ended amplifier, tube CD and he wants to use it as a pre-amplifier for his CD and streamer from Cambridge audio ... something like that.
Thanks in advance!
No, there is no analog-in.

Ok, this depends. Yes the RME ADI 2 DAC can be used as a pre-amplifier - in fact I use it as a pre-amp, but this only works for digital sources such as optical TOSLINK, coaxial S/PDIF, or USB. It will not work for analog sources as @gimmeheadroom rightly stated.

So if your friend is only interested in digital inputs to the ADI 2 then everything is cool. And by digital I don't mean an ancient CD-Player with RCA analog outputs - that won't work unless it has either TOSLINK or S/PDIF outputs.

May 4, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #2,271 of 6,034
Ok, this depends. Yes the RME ADI 2 DAC can be used as a pre-amplifier - in fact I use it as a pre-amp, but this only works for digital sources such as optical TOSLINK, coaxial S/PDIF, or USB. It will not work for analog sources as @gimmeheadroom rightly stated.

So if your friend is only interested in digital inputs to the ADI 2 then everything is cool. And by digital I don't mean an ancient CD-Player with RCA analog outputs - that won't work unless it has either TOSLINK or S/PDIF outputs.

Wait, what? According to that definition every DAC is a preamp :wink:

May 4, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #2,273 of 6,034
Wait, what? According to that definition every DAC is a preamp :wink:

Nope. A DAC, as it originally was at least, was something you fed a digital signal, and then it would output an analog signal via RCA, DIN, or maybe XLR into a pre-amp at line level. There were no controls, other than an on/off button, and maybe a filter switch.

The ADI 2 DAC has a volume control, not to mention EQ, and is capable of being connected to a power amp and/or powered speakers. That makes it a fully paid up member of the pre-amp club, albeit only for digital sources. It is however possible to operate the RME in a pure DAC mode which will bypass those controls.

May 5, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #2,274 of 6,034
That's really stretching the definition of preamp into the digital realm. I'm not sure it goes that far but I see where you're coming from.

May 5, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #2,275 of 6,034
My ADI-2 is arriving today. It will replace my Hugo2 on the desktop. The H2 will become part of my mobile rig. I hope the ADI2 scales well with Roon and HQPlayer. I love Chord dacs but it can become cult like at times.

May 5, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #2,276 of 6,034
It's a superb DAC and very flexible. Not sure what you mean about scaling, though.

I love the RME but the amp isn't always the best choice for certain headphones. Other than that, killer for the price.

BTW RME is also a cult :wink:

May 5, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #2,277 of 6,034
It's a superb DAC and very flexible. Not sure what you mean about scaling, though.

I love the RME but the amp isn't always the best choice for certain headphones. Other than that, killer for the price.

This whole hobby is a cult. With slightly different sub-cults. The main characteristics are the same everywhere. :)

May 5, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #2,278 of 6,034

Although I have Utopia and HD800s, most listening will be sone with iem’s due to its proposed location.

Scaling... I hope it works well with upscaling from HQPlayer to 768k. I had an Mscaler for awhile but switched to HQP for several reasons.

May 5, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2,279 of 6,034
Although I have Utopia and HD800s, most listening will be sone with iem’s due to its proposed location.

Scaling... I hope it works well with upscaling from HQPlayer to 768k. I had an Mscaler for awhile but switched to HQP for several reasons.

I don't know about the Utopias. I am not happy with the way it drives my Sennheiser 600s or 800s so I use an external amp.

As far as upscaling goes that feels fraudulent to me. No offense. The RME should handle the bit rate fine although some of the great features are disabled at higher bitrates due to limitations in DSP power.

May 5, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #2,280 of 6,034

Works great with HQPlayer to 768. No issues whatsoever. Grats on the new acquisition!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back