RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 5, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #1,936 of 6,027
Is there a way I can use my phone as a source for this.? Like a digital out to în?
If you're on Android, you can use USB Audio Player Pro with an OTG cable to connect to the RME. The app also has Tidal or quboz integration if you need it

Feb 5, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #1,937 of 6,027
I have asked RME if there is a sonic difference between the original model with the AK4490 chip and the revision with the AK4493 chip.
This was the answer:

"There is no difference in sound by design. There is measurable difference between the two versions.
But if it is possible to hear any difference is a subjective matter."

This means undetectable difference by ears in my book. So it doesn't really matter which version you get if your only concern is sound quality.
I am also after a secondhand unit, but the only secondhand one on head-fi is offered for a hefty £700 when brand new units are available for £790 in the UK. The seller refused to lower the price, perhaps he hasn't heard of the recent price drop.

Anyway, I am also looking for a secondhand unit, but not for £700. Closer to £500 please, cheers.

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,939 of 6,027
Awsome, but what cable exactly do I need from Amazon? Because I see the adi2 has a weird USB connection IN the back, I'm new to all this
Depends on your phone USB connection.

It could be either Micro USB or USB-C. You'd then connect the RME cable to this adapter.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #1,941 of 6,027
I am looking forward to hear the reviews on the new ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition. The current pro model did not measure as well as the aid-2 dac from what I have read. Hopefully this new revision will perform better then the original Pro and the ADI-2 Dac. If audiosciencereview says it’s up to snuff I will be ordering it once available.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #1,942 of 6,027
my phone has a USB C, so USB c to what?

Also what is the best input into the adi2 that would yield the best sound quality?
USB to female USB a just like what I have linked in the post (it's the same one I use myself).

As for best quality, from that app you'll want to set "bit-perfect" to on or "when possible" and play either flacs or high bitrate files.

Tethering your phone to a DAC will become cumbersome in the long run so you'll want to consider using a network streamer/player at some point.

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #1,943 of 6,027
USB to female USB a just like what I have linked in the post (it's the same one I use myself).

As for best quality, from that app you'll want to set "bit-perfect" to on or "when possible" and play either flacs or high bitrate files.

Tethering your phone to a DAC will become cumbersome in the long run so you'll want to consider using a network streamer/player at some point.
What is a competent but on the lower end of the price spectrum network player, streamer? Something I can control with my phone

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #1,944 of 6,027
I have asked RME if there is a sonic difference between the original model with the AK4490 chip and the revision with the AK4493 chip.
This was the answer:

"There is no difference in sound by design. There is measurable difference between the two versions.
But if it is possible to hear any difference is a subjective matter."

This means undetectable difference by ears in my book. So it doesn't really matter which version you get if your only concern is sound quality.
I am also after a secondhand unit, but the only secondhand one on head-fi is offered for a hefty £700 when brand new units are available for £790 in the UK. The seller refused to lower the price, perhaps he hasn't heard of the recent price drop.

Anyway, I am also looking for a secondhand unit, but not for £700. Closer to £500 please, cheers.

There's one on ebay UK - £750 but open to offers. I was looking at it but am now going in a different direction.

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #1,946 of 6,027
Awsome, but what cable exactly do I need from Amazon? Because I see the adi2 has a weird USB connection IN the back, I'm new to all this

It's pretty standard for DACs to use a USB B connector for input. That's what the RME uses.

What is a competent but on the lower end of the price spectrum network player, streamer? Something I can control with my phone

Bluesound Node 2i.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #1,948 of 6,027
Thanks so much for your help,
I can't find on Amazon what I Need for sure. I think it has to be OTG

I have a usb C on my phone, can someone help a newbie with a link?

For type-c to type-c, then any cable will work.

If one side is type-B, then you will need an OTG cable.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #1,950 of 6,027
I got a usb type c port for my phone.

But I need the other end to fit and work decently to the adi2 dac
Here ya go. They are usually called phone printer cables. Though modern notebooks with only usb-c, it is also printer cables for them too.

Aliexpress US $1.88 | USB-C USB 3.1 Type C Male Connector to USB 2.0 B Type Male Data Cable for Cell Phone&Printer&Hard Disk 1m
https://a.aliexpress.com/_shyGc7

I use this to connect my E1da PowerDac V2 to my cellphone. Trying to catch a used RME ADI-2 DAC if I ever see one in the forums.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back