Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Aug 3, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #826 of 1,861
Hanoitubes for me. Quick shipping and prompt communication, hopefully the tubes are legit (no way for me to assess), for sure they were in like-new conditions, and produce the most beautifully spacious, transparent sound in my setup.

Audio antiquary from Italy is also a solid source, very respected here. Did not purchase from them because at the moment I was making my decision they were out of stock (they are back in stock right now AFAIK).
Thanks @simorag! I'll look into both options.

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #827 of 1,861
Thanks @simorag! I'll look into both options.
I can recommend Brent Jessee at audiotubes.com. I bought from him 2 times. He is an expert on tubes. He replied to my emails even on weekends.

When I first reached out to him I asked for his help. I sent him a picture of a tube that I wanted to buy and one that I´ve already bought on ebay to verify if it´s original. He explained to me very nicely the details to pay attention to and saved me from a bad buy and confirmed the other tube to be original.

Brent is an honest guy and has very fair prices. He also checks the tubes of your choice for noise if you want him to. And he ships fast. I feel in very good hands at audiotubes.com.

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #828 of 1,861
I can recommend Brent Jessee at audiotubes.com. I bought from him 2 times. He is an expert on tubes. He replied to my emails even on weekends.

When I first reached out to him I asked for his help. I sent him a picture of a tube that I wanted to buy and one that I´ve already bought on ebay to verify if it´s original. He explained to me very nicely the details to pay attention to and saved me from a bad buy and confirmed the other tube to be original.

Brent is an honest guy and has very fair prices. He also checks the tubes of your choice for noise if you want him to. And he ships fast. I feel in very good hands at audiotubes.com.
Thanks!
I'm familiar with Brent Jessee, and I have purchased from him in the past, having a great experience as well.
However, I have sent him an email and he has not replied, possibly on vacation.

Aug 3, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #829 of 1,861
Hannoi tubes works well, just get G73-R Black text white label, imho they have that nice strong signature sound

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #830 of 1,861
Just checked my purchases. I bought from honoitubes. I believe that was the seller others were buying from as well.
He's a Brent Jessee of eBay. A real shark but one of the best.

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #831 of 1,861
I live in Germany. It feels weird to order a 60y old device made in G from Vietnam. It would be interesting to know how all these tubes got there?!

Aug 10, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #833 of 1,861
Aug 10, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #834 of 1,861
G73r should be like $400
I once looked at audio antiquity and there is is 990€.
Edit. At eBay it sells for around 640€. That is less.
Edit 2: sorry just saw that it is a pair for 640€. Still expensive 😊

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #835 of 1,861
Not cheap at all, but imo $400 to fully tube roll a 20k rrp amp isn't all that bad tbh

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #836 of 1,861
G73-R black definitely has noticably increased details, and imaging yet I think it is still up to personal taste, despite of the hypes. I personally don't like it in that I feel the height and depth are largely sacrificed to a extent the stage became less organic and less 3D. Stage height is the strong point of Riviera which I really admire, so I hate to loose that. I tried sooooo many tubes but always found myself going back to the stock. Maybe I'm different than others but I feel the stock sounds most organic, netural, and natural even it doesn't have the best cymbals, timbers, stage or imaging as other tubes. Therefore I guess the best way to is demo yourself to see if that is your preferred sound sig.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #837 of 1,861
G73-R black definitely has noticably increased details, and imaging yet I think it is still up to personal taste, despite of the hypes. I personally don't like it in that I feel the height and depth are largely sacrificed to a extent the stage became less organic and less 3D. Stage height is the strong point of Riviera which I really admire, so I hate to loose that. I tried sooooo many tubes but always found myself going back to the stock. Maybe I'm different than others but I feel the stock sounds most organic, netural, and natural even it doesn't have the best cymbals, timbers, stage or imaging as other tubes. Therefore I guess the best way to is demo yourself to see if that is your personal preference.

Hard agree. What tube I prefer in the amp varies wildly depending on the can being used. I can't say I noticed a decrease in stage height (this would probabaly be more obvious with my x9k but i dont have it on hand right now) but a decrease in sweetness and body realy didn't play well with Diana TC (vs my tungsram tube) and i suspect will be an issue with x9k as well. Imo it's a worthy tube to try but if you don't like it obviously no harm no foul. Given my personal issues with my tube I am currious to try some more of the g73r revisions though

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #838 of 1,861
I was wondering if there are any recommendations for power cords boosting low extensions? I tried JPS Black PAC (good sub bass but sounds odd via Sus), JPS Lite ( the strongest hardest hitting mid bass but not sub bass), Voodoo Matrix Air Dragon ( best cable for speaker out but not headphone out) Timber PK 14 (the enhanced bass is a bit unnatural and still lacks low extension) and AQ lineup which all seem to be strong for bass in their own ways yet still not very satisfactory to me. I also tried bassy interconnect cables which all sacrifice the clarity and details to some large extent.

I learned the word narcotic from someone who doesn't like the low extension of Riviera, which I fully echo after hearing woo w23 Luna whose low extension is thunderous. Therefore I have been trying to address that caveat using various ways, including some bassy hard hitting dacs like Wavedream Rockna, and Mojo Mystique which both seem to be overly detailed and too intense for enjoying music for long session.

I am afraid I may let go Riviera and go Wa23 Luna if I can't find the solution. Don't get me wrong Rivera does have great quantity of bass and midbass, many even think it is bloated. Personally speaking what is missing to me is quality of low end extension.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #839 of 1,861
G73-R black definitely has noticably increased details, and imaging yet I think it is still up to personal taste, despite of the hypes. I personally don't like it in that I feel the height and depth are largely sacrificed to a extent the stage became less organic and less 3D. Stage height is the strong point of Riviera which I really admire, so I hate to loose that. I tried sooooo many tubes but always found myself going back to the stock. Maybe I'm different than others but I feel the stock sounds most organic, netural, and natural even it doesn't have the best cymbals, timbers, stage or imaging as other tubes. Therefore I guess the best way to is demo yourself to see if that is your preferred sound sig.
Facinating! I tried many different tubes and ALL of them were much better than stock. Stock tube is really quite bad in my opinion.

Aug 10, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #840 of 1,861
I was wondering if there are any recommendations for power cords boosting low extensions? I tried JPS Black PAC (good sub bass but sounds odd via Sus), JPS Lite ( the strongest hardest hitting mid bass but not sub bass), Voodoo Matrix Air Dragon ( best cable for speaker out but not headphone out) Timber PK 14 (the enhanced bass is a bit unnatural and still lacks low extension) and AQ lineup which all seem to be strong for bass in their own ways yet still not very satisfactory to me. I also tried bassy interconnect cables which all sacrifice the clarity and details to some large extent.

I learned the word narcotic from someone who doesn't like the low extension of Riviera, which I fully echo after hearing woo w23 Luna whose low extension is thunderous. Therefore I have been trying to address that caveat using various ways, including some bassy hard hitting dacs like Wavedream Rockna, and Mojo Mystique which both seem to be overly detailed and too intense for enjoying music for long session.

I am afraid I may let go Riviera and go Wa23 Luna if I can't find the solution. Don't get me wrong Rivera does have great quantity of bass and midbass, many even think it is bloated. Personally speaking what is missing to me is quality of low end extension.

Just my personal experience here, but I have generaly found that absalute thunderous extension is simply a woo strong suit. Apparently viva is similar there (haven't heard solista) but if you find yourself wanting that crazy control and rumble of the super low reaching bass it may be worth it to just go woo tbh. Aic has very strong bass, don't get me wrong (anyone reading this later) but woo just making is an absalute point of focus there (only amp I can think of that extends that far is ahb2 and cfa3 and both of those sound very solid state without the benefit you can get from tubes imo)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back