Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Aug 10, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #841 of 1,873
I find myself listening to the Riviera and forgetting about audiophile technicalities. It just "makes music".
To me, that's an indication that I have found what I was looking for.

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #842 of 1,873
I've been reading through this thread over the past couple of days and had some questions if anyone could assist.

My rack is only 40cm deep, is anyone able to measure the distance between the outside edges of the front and rear feet? And has anyone played with aftermarket feet?

I've read that the rear speaker taps have a bit more of everything, how big of a jump are we talking? My ideal setup would be to connect some ls3/5a to the rear taps for desktop usage.

Other than the susvara are their other golden headphones that work with the aic10?

I haven't seen much talk on the volume pot in this thread, how does it perform? Would it be best to use this with a pre to gain access to a larger knob?

Thankyou

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #845 of 1,873
Would any AIC10 owners be able to comment as to whether there is any background hum sensitive dynamics such as the ZMF range?
Thankyou

None at all on the set of VC I owned even off of the speaker taps

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #847 of 1,873
Thankyou

Just noted the 6moons review and a poster on page 1 who commented but from what I can see it was the same unit and subject to an upgrade to resolve.

Just wanted to check it wasnt wide spread
Would any AIC10 owners be able to comment as to whether there is any background hum sensitive dynamics such as the ZMF range?
Thankyou
On low gain, no hiss; on high gain, yes but then you don't need high gain to drive even many traditionally regarded insensitive cans as HD800s, with which I can hear the hiss on only high gain.

Zero hiss for plannar as susvara and abyss on high gain.

Also, In my humble opinion, it may be helpful to ask people about hiss in relation to the gain and can.

I also tried my AFC with Viva Preamp with very noticeable noise even in low gain I guess it may because the volume gain that Viva adds.

Emm Labs preamp with AFC, on low gain and high gain no noise for Sus.

I will try woo's new Wa23 Luna preamp (Mini W33 Elite, yet different sounding to my ears) very soon.

Despite of these, Riviera is definitely one of the quietest amps involved with tubes. By contrast Woo Wa33 elite has way more noise via cans like Sony's current flagship MDR Z1R. However with even insensitive IEM, on low gains of Riviera, there is hiss.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #848 of 1,873
Thankyou

Just noted the 6moons review and a poster on page 1 who commented but from what I can see it was the same unit and subject to an upgrade to resolve.

Just wanted to check it wasnt wide spread

If it was a very early unit then it's entierly possible it was just pre-fix

Aug 11, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #849 of 1,873
I've been reading through this thread over the past couple of days and had some questions if anyone could assist.

My rack is only 40cm deep, is anyone able to measure the distance between the outside edges of the front and rear feet? And has anyone played with aftermarket feet?

I've read that the rear speaker taps have a bit more of everything, how big of a jump are we talking? My ideal setup would be to connect some ls3/5a to the rear taps for desktop usage.

Other than the susvara are their other golden headphones that work with the aic10?

I haven't seen much talk on the volume pot in this thread, how does it perform? Would it be best to use this with a pre to gain access to a larger knob?

Thankyou
Abyss 1266 TC and Diana TC are great with Rivierra!

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #850 of 1,873
E5F5A9EA-71B2-44F6-9587-BDE3D8544F06.jpeg

G-73R
WOW :astonished:

Aug 11, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #852 of 1,873
Help with weird tube issues?

Ive been running a tungsram tube in my AIC-10 for a few months (just a hair over 2) since it works better with my HD580. I just put in my G73R today and the amp was immediately scratchy when changing the volume in the left channel. Assuming it was just dust in the pot, I dusted the amp and the issue continued. Trying a last ditch thing, I put the tungsram back in and now there is no scratching. Is this a normal form of tube failure? Ive never had a tube failure present this way (specifically with the weirdness while changing volumes). It had probably 300 hours in it before I removed it for the tungsram and didn’t present any of these issues. Any other ideas on what I can try and do to salvage the tube? Does the tube maybe just need to re-burn in? the issue persisted over 4 hours of running today.

Aug 11, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #853 of 1,873
Sounds like a tube microphonic issue.
When you tap (lightly) on the top plate, do you hear tube-noises as well?

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #854 of 1,873
I'll put the tube back in tonight and see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back