Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Jul 19, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #811 of 1,867
AIC 10 & Emm Labs Pre 2 = pure and clear ( very hifi)

Nice synergy with no hiss nor noise, thank you @cpzzy for your recommendation

Yet just a tad metallic sounding to my ears, maybe a different PC cord could help a bit.

It kinda reminds me of Woo W33 somehow for the textures of notes
IMG20220719175422.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #812 of 1,867
Medium term I want to buy speakers for the Riviera. What are your experience with speakers, good or bad? I may be interested in Audio Note, or even try Zu or Cube Audio.

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #813 of 1,867
Jul 30, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #815 of 1,867
Landed…
20A3BCC4-9F34-4119-91E8-D27841997EFD.jpeg

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #816 of 1,867
Landed…

I'll be looking forward to seeing your viva vs aic impressions! Can never have too many comparisons imo

Jul 31, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #817 of 1,867
I'll be looking forward to seeing your viva vs aic impressions! Can never have too many comparisons imo
The comparison was relatively short.
The Viva Egoista 845 does not drive the Susvara well and is not a good fit with the SRD-7 and the Stax SR-X9K.
Even though the Viva, on paper, should output 15W, it has reduced output and therefore the Susvara is still a difficult load for it.
I was also surprised by this.
All the other (non-stat) headphones I've auditioned with the Viva, sounded sublime. If I wasn't committed (obsessed?) to the Susvara, the Viva would have stayed in place.
But I love the Susvara and couldn't let it go.
So far the Susvara and the Riviera are a match made in heaven.
It has just the right mix of details and richness and it drives the Susvara with aplomb.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #818 of 1,867
The comparison was relatively short.
The Viva Egoista 845 does not drive the Susvara well and is not a good fit with the SRD-7 and the Stax SR-X9K.
Even though the Viva, on paper, should output 15W, it has reduced output and therefore the Susvara is still a difficult load for it.
I was also surprised by this.
All the other (non-stat) headphones I've auditioned with the Viva, sounded sublime. If I wasn't committed (obsessed?) to the Susvara, the Viva would have stayed in place.
But I love the Susvara and couldn't let it go.
So far the Susvara and the Riviera are a match made in heaven.
It has just the right mix of details and richness and it drives the Susvara with aplomb.
Wow! Well wasn't expecting that. Guess I'm glad I went aic when I wad waffling back and forth between them!

EDIT: Anyone compaired the solista to AIC? I have seen people in the past say thats a better match for sus and it seems to be cheaper used (one listed for 5k right now on ebay?) (The one on ebay is the LT not the full solista)

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #819 of 1,867
Wow! Well wasn't expecting that. Guess I'm glad I went aic when I wad waffling back and forth between them!

EDIT: Anyone compaired the solista to AIC? I have seen people in the past say thats a better match for sus and it seems to be cheaper used (one listed for 5k right now on ebay?) (The one on ebay is the LT not the full solista)
The Solista outputs ~20W and most certainly can drive the Susvara.
It costs a few grands more than the Egoista. IIRC, around €18K.
It’s a massive amp, uses 4x845 tubes. A lot of real estate for a headphones amp.

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #820 of 1,867
TOTL dacs are like TOTL cables they are tuned to please certain kind of taste and people, and diminishing return is crazy!

Personally speaking, I am impressed with the most affordable one in this bunch which is Esoteric N05XD, which has the best height and width. Yet, it has a house sound as many TOTL dacs in that you know you are listening via the dac. The streaming part is meh which doesn’t allow upsamping even it is developed by LUMIN and can be controlled by LUMIN APP. The Headphone output is also just ok, it is not bad but neither good. Dac is definitely the forte of N05XD, which is their new discrete dac. It is might be one of my favorite digital sound as so detailed, layered and nuanced. It is definitely not detailed in a way of Mytek Empire or Rockna Wavedream where all the details are forcing into your ears, but the detailed are represented in a nuanced way. I’m told by other owners that it will be a huge change adding another clock, which would be another amount of investment. Plus I believe it will sound better with better source which adds to the cost. But man in terms of price to performance ratio, it is no brainer as the best digital dac.

Therefore I would really love to buy 01XD which doubled the cost but it has doubled number of discrete chips each channel plus better clock which seems to be the same clock as the flagship. 01XD is my favorite Dac at Chicago Axpona 2022 btw.

X1 is typical LUMIN sound, the streamer part of X1 is clearly better than Esoteric 05XD. X1 is also tighter and more dynamic, yet the deal breaker for me is that it sounds flat like Rockna Wavedream and Matrix X with lack of depth and height.

Metiner Dac 3 definitely has the most analogue sounding in these dac yet compared to TOTL R2R as my reference Mojo Mystique, it still sounds digital. It reminds me of M2 but am upgraded version.

Missed this post before. Mind if I ask how the technicalities of ma3 vs mystique are? I'm kinda waffling back and forth between dac2x v2/21 evo pro/totaldac right now. I heard ma3 -> aic -> sus and wad blown away but it's not the kind of sound I usualy like. Mojo and totaldac both seem even more up my alley from reviews than the ma3 was but it's darn near impossible to find anyone who had heard more than one of the three 😅

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #821 of 1,867
I have / have had several Mullards and they may sound different as it often happens with NOS / vintage tubes. My gold standard is a pair of (apparently) genuine NOS CV 491 from 1957, Blackburn factory, which have that trademark Mullard sweetness in spades while retaining more than decent technicalities.

G73-R is a special series of ECC 802S from Telefunken, which was made in the '60s specifically for Agilent and HP, both military and medical applications, targeted to very strict electrical tolerances, thermal stability and enhanced mechanical robustness.

mullard-vs-g73r.png

There are variants of this tube, with red and with black print labels. I have one sample of each, and, yes, they sound different.

g73-r.png

Compared to Mullard, the G73-R(s) are indeed faster, more dynamic and transparent, while not being harsh, dry or bright. Mullard has more bloom and euphoric midrange richness, while G73-R delivers a big, holographic 3D picture and a tighter bass. Top end extension and liquidity is also excellent on the Telefunken.

For my personal tastes and for the music I listen the most (classical, unamplified acoustic jazz and vocals) I find the Mullard more pleasing with the AB-1266 TC and the G73-R more with the Valkyria. Actually, the "red print" G73-R / Valkyria combo is my overall preferred setup.
Where are you sourcing these tubes (G73-R)?
Do you have trustworthy dealers?

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #822 of 1,867

I think basicaly all of us have ordered from that one ebay seller that has them tbh

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #823 of 1,867
I think basicaly all of us have ordered from that one ebay seller that has them tbh
I’m seeing 2 sellers atm.
One from Italy and another from Vietnam (who has red and black printed tubes).

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #824 of 1,867
I’m seeing 2 sellers atm.
One from Italy and another from Vietnam (who has red and black printed tubes).
Just checked my purchases. I bought from honoitubes. I believe that was the seller others were buying from as well.

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #825 of 1,867

Hanoitubes for me. Quick shipping and prompt communication, hopefully the tubes are legit (no way for me to assess), for sure they were in like-new conditions, and produce the most beautifully spacious, transparent sound in my setup.

Audio antiquary from Italy is also a solid source, very respected here. Did not purchase from them because at the moment I was making my decision they were out of stock (they are back in stock right now AFAIK).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back