Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #557 of 1,873
Thank you. So I postpone listening until I have replacement fuse on hand. Maybe I will go for Synergistic RESEARCH. By the way- I am waiting for Feliks Audio Envy to be delivered in April, there will be interesting challenge with Riviera
Now that is a comparison I'll be looking forward to!

Mar 31, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #558 of 1,873
I received a second G73-R, on the right in the picture below (black text).

It is definitely smoother sounding than the first one I got. A bit less open and dynamic but overall more to my liking.

Vocals are simply magnificent and the liquidity of the treble is something unheard of in my system. It seems to combine some of the best traits from my beloved Mullards with the transparency and speed I have so much enjoyed from the "red text" G73_R.

I have been told that this is the most ancient version, intended for military radar equipment while the red label was for medical usage. Does anybody know more about this?

The red text one is rawer, extremely impactful, with a transcendental dynamics impact, so I can see myself still reaching to it especially with the Valkyria.

20220331_194545-01.jpeg

Mar 31, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #559 of 1,873
I have some of the red text and some of the black text as well. Your findings in sound difference, although very subtle, mirror my own experience with these. I just assumed the red text I have are not truly New OS, but have been used enough to be well broken in.

One of the red text I had was replaced, as it had bad microphonics on the left channel and sometimes would generate physical vibrations, even with no music playing. The replacement is fine though. Overall, I do like the black text tube a touch better due to the tighter control feeling I get with it.

Apr 1, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #562 of 1,873
BEL ECC82

Unexpectedly, but for the second day now I have been listening to a tube made in India and I am simply shocked. In a good way.

SECC82-BEL-MASTER-ECC82-BEL-NOS-1.jpg

I've bought this BEL ECC82 from TubeAmpDoctor and this is a relatively inexpensive tube - 65 euros for balanced triodes option. However, I would not say that this is a "great tube for the price". It's just a great tube, no matter what the price is. Store description says:
BEL tubes were manufactured utilising Dutch Philips/Mullard British-supplied tooling and expertise under the Transfer of Technology (TOT) program, which meant these tubes were physically identical to their British made counterparts in every way—they had the same shaped anode plates, support micas and electrode geometry, the same seamed glass envelope, the same spot welding, same grid wire spacing and, most importantly, the same cathode chemistry and processing.

Tube looks boring. No "triple-mica", no nickel on plates, no hard support structures. Typical O-getter. However, sound is far superior to "ordinary ECC82s" in my opinion.

BEL is on the warm side, but just a little bit. Warm enough to be pleasant to listen to and not be called "cold", but the voices are not distorted by additional low notes and sound like they should. The bass is slightly bigger than "neutral", but it's a well-controlled bass that doesn't fatten up the middle or thump where it shouldn't. Not the strongest and fastest punch I've heard, but on its own it's strong enough and fast enough. High frequencies are very pleasant to the ear. Brass sounds like brass, soprano vibrato is just to die for. Liquid, smooth and energetic.

Noise floor is low. Again, not the lowest I've ever heard. If G73-R or my nickel-plated Mazdas (which are completely silent in AIC-10) are 10 out of 10, this one would be 8 or 9. Detail level is on par with ECC802s and Mazdas. G73-R wins at imaging and dynamics, but to be honest, in this discipline, the G73 with it's "palpability" feature will win against any tube.

Most of all I liked how BEL plays opera recordings. Although, maybe it's because I generally like opera 🤣 Anyway, guys check this Handel: Duets, English Concert - you'll like this magnificent recording even if you never been an opera lover.

wv8fjglu8yjza_600.jpg

Point is that BEL is not really a champion in any discipline, but it checks a lot of boxes. Probably more than any other tube I've had so far. Plus it has very smooth and liquid presentation. No grain, no harshness, no unnecessary edges - very entertaining and satisfying experience.

TL;DR I've bought one, listened to it and ordered two spares 😇

P.S. All my impressions are based on one tube. I haven't got spares yet, so it's not guaranteed that all other BEL tubes from TubeAmpDoctor will sound the same. Although I hope that it will be so.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #563 of 1,873
@Ragnar-BY Thx for the writeup. I think they are the final stages of what was once one of the greatest tube manufacturer on the planet, Philips. Over the course of the decades Philips acquired quite a few companies and it is sometimes hard to track the original manufacturing plant, but one one thing for sure they have produced some exceptional tubes.

Bel for me is a bit like Tesla, the acquired the technology, materials and machinery and have put it into a country where labour costs are still at a level to allow you a reasonable margin with a product.

I found the Bel interesting for it’s sound signature as well and was a bit confused at first. To me it sounded not really Philips ECC82. The Philips std. O-getter ECC82 is a very transparent accurate and resolving tube, which I accidentally discovered during my Valvo sessions. As you said the Bel is a bit more full bodied, which I always attributed to Mullards.

I came to one conclusion over all the different tubes I tried, and they are now quite a few…

FCBDDC01-35E6-4604-8BF9-8944E8F0D702.jpeg

There are really many tubes that sound superb in the AIC-10. I‘d say 90% of all my tubes I could listen for ever. It is the tiny extra bit of character the tube makes which does make this amp so wonderful to explore.

I had two amps left on my finial shortlist when I decided for a new amp, the AIC-10 Bal and the Hifiman EF1000.
The most important features for me were:
- It needs to have sufficient power for the Susvara, I simply like the cans very much
- It must be a hybrid design, I was super curious to deep dive into tubes
- I‘d like to have a product still with existing service, so no vintage
- It must have single ended and balanced input, I did a lot of experiments with studio gear and AES and Balanced analog is a must for me

The biggest arguments against the HiFiman were:
- They have had a lot of issues with the product in Europe and stopped selling, I heard that heat was the number one issue
- It is not very friendly to tube rolling

But I have to admit I have never heard it and I am sure it does sound great.

The AIC on the other hand has one of the purest design concepts one could think of, I just recently heard someone saying that less is not necessary more, yes maybe… some products are just so overengineered. I studied electronics a long time back and just looking at the PCB‘s did speak to me. There is no fancy multistage feedback loop or controll circuit. It is just clean power the best possible pre-amp (tube) and a sturdy complimentary output stage.

And this appeals as the sound is following that signature. It reminded me a lot on my very early days in HiFi, the most legendary Naim Nait1.

1648879746293.jpeg

This is even simpler since it is solid state only, but if you ever see one sitting somewhere collecting dust, give it a go and if the capacitors still have some juce left over you‘d be surprised, guaranteed!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #564 of 1,873
Tube #38 Valvo Hamburg 1956 (?) Square getter

I found a category of tubes which I initially described as vintage sounding, like my Lorenz square getter tube. I found a Hamburg based Valvo, mid 50‘s with as well a square getter.

I have listened to this specific tube now for quite some time and would correct vintage with romantic. Sometimes the more modern resolving tubes are showing you every detail of the venue, which is super interesting. A romantic tube is highlighting the venue, more as it was from a mood point of view.

6D3F24DC-5AFB-49FB-8E78-16F0C4DA4DD9.jpeg

I am listening to Bill Evans Interplay and this tube highlights the mood of the session more than everting else. It is not super resolving let alone quiet, it just puts you into the tragedy of the scenery.

Bill Evans' releases Interplay in 1962 still under the impact of the accidental death of his friend and trio colleague Scott LaFaro the year before; as a result, the pianist withdrew for a while and, with his penchant for self-isolation, increased his heroin addiction…..

600-600-184865871_EWRZB-webp

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #565 of 1,873
UPDATED 4/4/22 : I wanted to share some tube rolling with everyone here since you guys are so active

I am expanding this as I go back and forth - I hope this helps future rollers ....

TUBE ROLLING
AS AN UPDATE AS OF 4-5-22
I just purchased a few tubes to roll- and to ensure a good supply of spare tubes for the future- some include:

United-Raytheon1950.jpg
1950s GE / UNITED ELECTRON 5814A -ECC82 12AU7- Black Plates, 3 Mica
- An excellent silent tube with full body sound nothing really rounded off if anything its a little polite on higher end- the bass is tight and with a nice spread out sound stage and very nice bloom, right mix of wetness excellent- but but a tiny bit darker than the 5814A 1973 Long Plate- worthy of asking $ but not top tear when comparing it to 1970's 5814A by Siemens Germany - need more time with these

Value: ★★★★
3D image/stage: ★★★★
Musical/Warmth: ★★★★
Detail: ★★★★
Bass: ★★★★

Noise: ★★★★★
Overall Performance ★★★★

[TR]
[TD]​

58977F38-D1C8-455C-ADDF-375B5932393A.jpeg
5814A Siemens Germany "long plates and triple mica" copper grid
1973 (74/75) one of my favorites so far for the Prautes worth every single gash darn penny- I weep at how organic and real this sounds- an addictive 3d image and stage and separation- articulate so far the winner of bunch. Considered one of the best tubes in the world ever made...
Value: ★★★★ (expensive for triple mica pre '75)
3D image/stage: ★★★★★ (wide)
Musical/Warmth: ★★★★★+(of course)
Detail: ★★★★★+ (yes just the right amount)
Bass: ★★★★★+
Noise: ★★★★★+
Overall Performance ★★★★★+

brimar.jpg
BRIMAR England 1960 CV4003 12AU7WA 6189 ECC82

A legendary tube possessing all the holographic magic of the Mullards CV4003 with a bit more detail. A full bodied sound. Excellent with lean headphones like HD600 or HD650 with a high ohms (150ohm or more) headphones and speakers.For me and my headphones like the GH50MK2 or my IEM Electrostaic Kinera Nanna this tube adds a bit too much mid bass weight to them- this tube at least for me is a stellar performer with HD600 or HD650 or similar LCD-5 which may need a boost in bass weight and heft (as I mentioned). Expect stellar depth image and a 3d holographic wide stage with air, a whisper quiet experience. I can see how people call this their end game tube.
Value: ★★★★★
Musical/Warmth: ★★★★★ (yes)
Detail: ★★★★+ (could be gr8 match for bright systems)
Bass: ★★★★★+ (perfect for lean systems to bring authority)

4493E45F-B7BC-4FA7-B370-876CD78B3AA7.jpeg
RFT (Haltron Labeled) 12AU7/ECC82 E. Germany, labeled for Haltron/England
-
insanely quiet and non micophonic - ONE of the quietest of any tube I tested in the 12au7 range - black silky backgrounds and instantly fast - vocals are spot on tempo is fast- these certainly need to open up more I think with less than 1 hour on these NOS rated triode matches 2600/2600 and 2650/2700- these are truly NIB NOS and maybe need more time to open up - flattish front to back depth compared to some of the top 3 tubes but close - width sound stage seems incredible and instrument placement is spot on - dang! these are whisper quiet between notes... they may need to break in more since some female singers reach dog hearing frequencies (remind me of the detail monsters like clear RCA?) - "Free Me" by Jess Stone really is lively- on top a bit much with this tube... very fast with panning left right songs like Ping Pong Party by WATEVA - this tube beats 75% of the tubes here for transient speed. "China" by Tori Amos sounds nice and just the right amount of wet but the details on the high end of her voice remind me of the details of the Sparkos S3601x4 descrete OPAs- this tube is a reference revealing the recording truth warts and all- much more break in needed I would think. Could be a very good thing for those looking for that level of detail.. wow impressive.
Value: ★★★★★+
Detail: ★★★★★++
Bass: ★★★★★

354DC54C-B982-4707-89FF-11E14AA65E4F.jpeg
Tungsol 12AU7A 1950’s NIB made in U.S.A -Long Plates and "O" Getter
:
a wonderfully accurate tight bass tube with nice air yet fast... with TRS outs- when using my Kennerton GH50Mk2 and my electrostatic IEMs like my Kinera Nanna 2.0 -I prefer this tube combo on nearly every song more so than the RSA APACHE TRS- giving more body and weight to the depth of vocals through the bass line.. a surprisingly top notch tube... wow this amp really does make music with so many tube combos... this tube is not going from my collection anytime soon I think. In my top 5 list of desirable tubes... no wonder its sold out all over in this NOS condition... did I say this could end anyones search for a perfect blend of music and detail a tube lovers dream for $$$
Value: ★★★★★
Musical/Warmth: ★★★★ (yes)
Detail: ★★★★★ (just the right amount)

88F0B819-B33F-4E7D-9223-D268C9E68852.jpeg
RT (La RadioTechnique) 1960 MIL SPEC 12AU7 France, short plates O-getter

Tube glow both even upon start up with a beautiful glow from power on and slowly fades as tubes boot up- beautiful! A quiet tube with an even handed bass and mid range presentation, holographic soundstaging and open, airy top end. May be one of the more dynamic 12AU7's - nothing accentuated here except maybe the details one will hear- this is a very textured define sound in mid up region- reported to be better than long plates which tend to be more muffled and less detailed- Upscale has a video I feature here but his tubes are not stamped MIL Sepc with special stamps these are the hardest to get RT tubes to get they have the highest quality and spec ratio higher than the regular non stamped RT tubes! I can also say as upscale has mentioned in 2014 and just now in 2022 selling a single tube for $106 each and those are not MIL sepc. These La RadioTechniquehave more texture and definition up on top than the so called lazier sounding Mullards or Philips of same era with long plates... a winner for price and value hands down a piece of gear no longer available in NIB NOS like these... with just a few hours I can tell these are a very special made that sets records and benchmark for price that just so happens to be made in the romantic country of France.
"they sound delicious in comparison with other 12AU7" "ONE GUY WROTE ON NON MILATARY SPEC TUBES : "Initially the Radiotechnique was too intense in the very high highs, causing it to be fatiguing. After three days of continuous pink noise, it's not fatiguing any more. I'm glad, because I love so many of its qualities and didn't want to end up with a fatigue problem. It has great imaging (yes, headphone guys talk about imaging), it's warm and not bright despite being so extended on top, and it has more life than the other brands I tried. OH, the other brands I tried were - RCA Clear tops - the German-made RFT "​
Value: ★★★★+
Detail: ★★★★★+(could use some more warmth- but sample is NIB)
Overall Performance ★★★★

1647611156026.png
tele G73R.jpg

1FED8AE6-0AD7-4CB2-B63F-2BABA0A63934.jpeg
Telefunken G73-R

SO HIGHLY RATED THE STARS COVER THE PAGE!!!
Telefunken G73-R - "Surpassing the quality control requirements of the famous Telefunken ECC802S, these are extremely rare, limited production, black shield coated, avionics/aircraft grade, factory selected Telefunken G73R. Manufactured solely for Agilent Technology and Hewlett-Packard, the proprietary G73R part number and RFI/EMI black coat shielding indicate the highest quality grading on the planet. This illustrates exhaustive aftermarket testing for low noise, uniform output, low microphonics, freedom from physical defects, long heater life and an even, uniform cathode emission.

The finest West German manufactured Telefunken tubes, with smooth plates and diamond marked, these have G73R hand written on the outside black shield coating. Records indicate they were only available as spare parts for Agilent or H-P equipment. Critical use in hospital and aerospace equipment demanded tubes with extremely low noise and tightly controlled output. The ultimate tube for Hi-Fi, tube mics and mic preamps, these tubes are very fine, highly rare and in great demand. Authentic, the real deal, the bottom of the glass is diamond marked. Matched pairs and quads are available with tightly controlled transconductance from section to section and from tube to tube. Astonishingly accurate, the sound image blooms out of a dead quiet background. "
UNICORN RAINBOWS AND ALL THE OTHER MYTHS MAY JUST BE TRUE ABOUT THIS MYSTERIOUSLY RARE TUBE!
"ETHEREAL CONDUIT TO A HIGHER REALM" ..On the other sonic-side lies the realms of musical-ideals, dream worlds, and the sonic-heavens and havens of different tube-religions. The G73-R can be the conduit to outer sonic planes or sonic-astral realm"
SIMILAR WORDS SAID BY OTHERS: "While listing to Miles Davis SKETCHES OF SPAIN with Gil Evans I can hear, see, and feel Miles sitting on a stool in a section in my listening room, a trio of trumpet, trombone and flute behind him. As if the members of the band are right in the room with you! The dense textural details and markings for dynamics are performed precisely as recorded and reproduced so that all the interweaving parts emerge clearly. The depth of musical emotion is distinctly audible with every detail of the pure orchestral fabric as I'm not hearing my preamp, amp, or speakers anymore, just pure music, the conduit to a higher musical realm, as if there is no hardware at all! "Miles above" and Simply beautiful and well worth the price for the ECC802S 'klingarm' factory tubes!...worlds better than the newer commercial series by "miles"...
"Their performance was off-the-charts in two separate listenings for this report. The bass is paradoxically liquid-tight sumptuously textured with all the low nuances the Double bass can give in a live-performance, yet full-bodied, and powerful. The midrange displays first, secondary, and third octave nuances, the tube has enormous layers of harmonic tonal depth, like a well weaved tapestry of sonic colors with pure gold strands woven into it's complex sonic-fabric, as well as a pouring out of liquid sonic lower, mid-midrange and upper-mid texture. The highs are liquid sweet like milk and honey, and pure as the crystalline morning snow and true to everything life has to through at it. THE VOCAL TIMBRE was compellingly superb, hauntingly realistic, like the singers were in the room with us, breathing every word. Very compelling tube providing absolutely no ear fatigue, or preamp adjustments, providing your speakers are placed correctly in your listening environment, and you have the audiophile-gear to appreciate it's capabilities."… " LIQUID SONIC TEXTURE ELIXIER". You may just loose you job and girl firend/wife/both all because all you may do is stay connected to your amp 24/7 and never want to stop listening to music. The highets praise worth every single bloody dollar- you may think people who own 4 or 5 pairs of these are insane- until you hear your first set- you will be hooked like a musical head tripp you will never forget... the only thing you can do is listen and wonder how it is so musical and precise at the same time.
Telefunken G73-R
Value: ★★★★★ (if rolling is an expensive habit stop/just buy these)
3D image/stage: ★★★★★+++(transients detail/space like no other tube I can describe w/ Tesla Plaid Speed while still retaining insane front to back layering - precisely as recorded placements - this is reference in my set up for sure)
Musical/Warmth: ★★★★★+
Bass: ★★★★★+++ (tight nearly emotionally perfect)
Noise: ★★★★★+++ (how low can you go- this LOW!)
Overall Performance: ★★★★★++++

F4D635FD-D709-4F73-90D1-D895606C5DF7.jpeg
Pinnacle 13D5A Industrial Grade ECC82 12AU7 Toshiba Source RED TIP
- (red tip usually denotes extreme reliability and low noise intended and sorted for "scientific or medical grade") Another person wrote: "Separation and blackness in between the notes is second to none. Very sweet tone on strings and piano. Like this better than the Brimar 13d5 as it had a wooden tone." For me- I am feeling music from stings and piano very very organic and natural sounding - vocals from Madeleine Peyroux La Vie En Rose- and Don't Wait too Long and J'ai Deux Amours- the sound is glorious - a wonderfully musical addicting sound- hairs on the back of my neck stand up! All the tingles and pleasing feeling one gets when something this good is playing... wonderful ! I wound up getting one pair and well I fell head over heels and bought more... I need to see a tube dr... and the only medicine is more tube goodness like this! as I said these are the cats meow! MEOW! ( and I don't even like cats) so for all those dog lovers like myself WOOF! WOOF! this is the dogs bone of tubes!
Value:★★★★★+
3D image/stage ★★★★
Detail: ★★★★★
Noise: ★★★★★++
Overall Performance ★★★★+

I SHOULD NOTE- I BOUGHT 5 Pairs of these and the closer they are matched the better they sounded- with higher triode μMhos/cm and close triode matching in each tube being the obvious choice- the cream of the pick-so yes the amp DOES in fact sound better with highest rated matched tubes like so many have claimed one way or the other- Its a fact for me as I proved it trying these all and the conclusion is something buyers of all tubes should face as fact- FOR headphone AMPS the matched tube triodes make best sound BUT for preamps in a speaker system their may be less of notable difference if the tubes are not tight matches-

thumfbnail.jpg
VALVO ECC82 Hamburg 1960, short plates, 45 degree-declined O-getter
- quiet tube- The sound is transparent, a bit romantic and it's so rare to have such perfect sparkle up on top at the same time! this is a magic tube! a beautiful mix and blend. The version I have is extremely NIB and needs time to break in- but one person wrote this report after its broken in- Produced in the late 50s (this specific tube is from 1960) to the early 60s. Sound, although is not as musical as long plates (which sell for $500-800 for this kind of pair at the time of this review in 2022) it’s still a pleasure to listen to it. One of the truly great 12au7 tubes. The sound is transparent, romantic with a good mixture of warmth and top register sparkle. Airy and detailed – you may just want to keep listening to it - track after track. What strikes the most about this tube is how it can be smooth and how good treble sounds. Amperex is a great example of what I’m talking about, but this tube has outdone Amperex in the treble department. And the bass is so accurate and ever so slightly boosted - again very tastefully done! Words like tube magic come to mind here! VERY RARE AND HIGHLY RECOMMENDED but this pair is so new i'm
sure it only gets better from here... the long plate commands twice the price and adds only a bit more 3d air- these at half the going rate are insane and for me top 3 of all the tubes tested here. These are a perfect blend of tube and accurate reproduction- CRAZY and blessed to have this ultra rare tube here to review...
3D image/stage: ★★★★★
Detail: ★★★★★++ (could use some more warmth- but sample is NIB)
Overall Performance: ★★★★★

22A60359-B17D-47F8-87D2-6F0931FD2670.jpeg
Tesla ECC802S long plate Czechoslovakia yellow print 32 XD (1966)
-
a remarkable tube and reported to be one of the finest 12AU7's made for the money - yes it is very quiet and all kinds of musical, wonderful details - good examples like this set could be close to top Siemens, or maybe as close to a pure <> ECC802 fortune 500 life styles of the rich and famous "Telefunken" at a lower price- The right pair like this matched year tube set will impress you but once you start to listen for details -I think this tube could fool you and make you forget all about shopping for anything else- piano and string are done so organically here! stop rolling and find a great matched pair like this and your search could be over... opens up after burn in - reported to have very long life of over 10K+ Hr life a finer tube than the Haltron label for RFT or RCA anything (gray or black etc) I think - The Tesla is known for low microphonics and low noise- and super transient dynamic package while being so musical... a winner for less $$$
Value:★★★★★
3D image/stage ★★★★
Detail: ★★★★★ (could use some more warmth- but sample is NIB)
NOTE:
A possible truth that needs to be verified: RCA
cleartops tend to have high trans-conductance compared to most 12au7. This is something that is not stated often. As a result, the cleartop gives you more drive which would suit circuits where 12au7 is used in the output stage. Another 12au7 types with high trans-conductance is the Telefunken ecc802s. (In general transconductance can be either positive or negative depending on the circuit or this case when comparing it in a head- amp)
RCA 12AU7A Clear Top original "Hickok Elect. Instr. Co"-
"Here are the words you might have heard about this tube : Vivid, vibrant with high resolution, rich-full sound throughout the frequency range - all true" - One of the best in my bunch of tubes- best overall balanced musical experience. If I only had one tube to choose on a budget or not this could be it if I was listening to darker headphones a sure bet as well... a must own tube set... perfect synergy with my Kennerton GH50Mk2- quick and the most out of head experience and superb details with out one ounce of fatigue. Musical and accurate... breathes more life in the music and nearly equal detail to the Ray Samuels Apache XLR vs XLR. No harshness just music- this is in the top 4 of all tubes no matter the price and matches very well with my headphones and amp. My favorite tube if all other tubes stopped being made I would be might be ok with a few prime examples of these if stranded on a desert island (if that island had 120V that is)
3D image/stage ★★★★★
Musical/Warmth: ★★★★★
Detail: ★★★★★+ (just the right amount of detail vs warmth)
Bass: ★★★★★ (accurate)

1950's RCA Blackplate 12AU7 (LABELED CONN)
Incredible detail and micro dynamics, musical but a bit analytical nearly clinical- tempo and speed very tight. Bass seems neutral and mids and highs seems more detailed than any other tube I can recall here. An articulate experience - but honestly the Clear Top RCA I received sounds more musical and less fatiguing which should be the opposite here- a testament to each tube set will sound slightly different.
3D image/stage ★★★★★
Musical/Warmth: ★★★
Detail: ★★★★★+ (this sample too detailed more than the RCA clear /not as musical as I would like for tube)
Overall Performance ★★★★

773C6EE4-E044-4A9E-BE63-FD75ED1CE878.jpeg
Tungsram ecc82 red
serial# printed on tube gray plate o getter 1960s-1976 Industrial Grade tubes were subject to rigorous test and burn in process. Faster and more Holographic than Tesla ECC802S. Amazing spread out width and 3 d landscape - very beautiful sound- neutral/natural sounding, it has a extended top end and tight bass - vocals on both female and male sound so delightful, no harshness yet still defined details. So lush yet refined. Very good bass. Mid range is dreamy. Highs are spot on. This is a heavy weight tube and deserves the reputation it has as being jaw dropping good. (some weep to their knees I have read)... worthy of all the hype! I consider this top of the litter in many ways. Definitely in top 4 of this group so far.
Quiet and reliable with top notch sound quality. This version is very neutral/natural sounding, it has a extended top end and tight bass compared with the dual bar getter below which is unicorn in 2022 in NIB condition but the dual bar getter support is a tiny bit more euphoric and slightly more romantic and more tube sounding while still holding on to the details.
3D image/stage ★★★★★

56 Numbers One Two And Three On A Victory Podium Stock Photos, Pictures &  Royalty-Free Images - iStock 35516A08-E30F-40DE-8BCD-33DCE5482020.jpeg
TOP 3 NIB NOS Tube in this shoot out shown above:
so far for my set up! The Tungsram ECC82 MIL Red serial DOUBLE BAR GETTER! VERY RARE
!​

2FEE5FF5-42B3-4029-B92C-ED7C589064F5.jpeg
Tungsram CC82/12AU7 RED SERIAL NIB NOS- DOUBLE BAR GETTER

AWESOME GETTER GLOW SPARK AND very even upon start up! But that doesnt make or explain the music you get from this crazy rare tube... Everything enhanced over the single bar getter above!!! performance is similar BUT extremely rare tube came all the way from Italy and took 4 weeks to arrive. Worth the wait- this is a tube that will make you stop searching - it gives you everything you could want- depth, clarity and detail with the perfect amount of warmth of tubes with air and wetnness no solid state can produce so well that I know of... the is a maestro maker... musical and magical. Listening to this tube with the Mk1 JM Edition of the Kennerton Vali Neoteric Dynamic - it is a musical experience that rivals any planar I have ever auditioned with amazing height and clarity. I would be cautious as to recommend this tube to those who like very bright headphones such as Utopia or Ultrasone Edition 10 - however this tube may be perfect for the AudezeLCD5 since this tube is so full and satisfying- you may weep at how good vocals and emotion comes through.... now I know why I bought a second set... remarkable The single bar getter above is very neutral/natural sounding, it has a extended top end and tight bass where the double has more warmth and tube greatness while still being accurate and holds the details of the single bar. Incredible combination here! !
ONE GUY WROTE: "I'm using it in a very expensive VAC sigma preamp I shouldn't say this but one of the best 12AU7s I found was the same tube but with the double support bar getter tube looks the same but the double bar getter one sounded much better. So watch what your buying Best for Classical or jazz I would say"- he missed all music this tube is in the top 2!!!!
THIS IS THE TUBE TALK ABOUT JAW DROPPINGLY GOOD PERFORMANCE AND WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO ROLLING TUBES!!!!
Value: ★★★★★+VERY RARE AND RARE/ EXPENSIVE!
3D image/stage ★★★★★++
Musical/Warmth: ★★★★★++
Detail: ★★★★★++ (just the right amount of detail vs warmth)
Bass: ★★★★★++ (accurate)
Overall Performance ★★★★★++

AC1CBBAF-9479-4690-B8CA-F1A568FDE398.jpeg
Amperex ECC82/12AU7 Holland, Orange Globe late 1960s and early 1970s, NOS

When booting up the Amprex they glow evenly together and its a slow getter glow for a few seconds- very nice! listening to the Amprex ORANGE Globe and notes dance in the air with Jancintha singing Light My Fire - very sweet voicing here- the flute sounds nice - its not as clearly defined as the both RFT's or Pinnacle I mentioned in this review. Similar to a Bugle Boy- this has a nice warmish mid-range with balanced highs and lows and ample while not over doing it. It's a lusher sound - more relaxed and not as fast. The Amprex is a bit more romantic and warm- mid bass ever so slightly more prominent. The Amprex can have a more 3d stage than the RFT but - Killer by Eminem sounded faster on RFT and left to right pans seem faster on RFT. This is a romantic tube. Lots of air and beauty. There is no harshness here at all- this is a lush (not lazy though) sound that is very very pleasant- I can imagine this is not really recommended for amps that are warm already or headphones that are warm or dark- unless you want to really pour on the lushness. For me and my headphones like the GH50JM Mk2 this tube is a bit too much of a good thing. I can imagine this being great with any FOCAL or Ultrasone or would be IDEAL for LCD 5. You could listen to this tube all day and NEVER get fatigued. It could put you to sleep with some songs... THIS WAS WRITTEN ON THE ORANGE GLOBE- and I 100% agree: Later versions of this tube were produced under the 'Orange Globe' logo. Many times you can find Herleen, Holland Amperex with a 'Hammond' logo. These are very nice low noise tubes that were highly screened for use in organs. They are the same as any Bugle Boy or Amperex ECC83, except screened for higher quality. Hammond Amperexes are one of my favorite tubes... I buy them whenever I can. I have found certain Hammond Amperexes to be exceptionally sweet, as good or better than any 'Bugle Boy' labeled tube.
3D image/stage ★★★★★
Musical/Warmth: ★★★★★+
Detail: ★★★★ (more warmth than detail)
Noise: ★★★★★ (quiet!)

4FB94B97-4BE1-4A05-A53B-68050EA1F89B.jpeg
RFT ECC82 E.Germany 1966, O-getter with dual thick support rods, labeled and boxed for RSD/Germany

Beautiful even dual tube glow when you first turn on amp! Glorious! Incredible sound! Silent black textured backdrop! silky smooth and musically engaging. FAST! great for all genre of music since it's so even handed... These are a cold war gem from E Germany. Vocals on both male and female are heavenly strings and brass instruments are spot on. Separation is spot on. 3D Stage and width could be less than the top tubes costing three times more but for this price these beat so many others for double! Plus these are NIB so I expect them to open up a bit more- Man this is a great set! Macthed triodes with tight tolerances!
3D image/stage ★★★★★

Worth the $200 for the pair! You could spend more but not get more... this is a end the search tube money or not these could do it all. Very musical and fast. Tempo and rhythm excellent. What else you want?
3D image/stage ★★★★★

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
TUNG-SOL 12AU7 Clear Glass Long Gray Plates D-Getter early 1950's Hickok Co.Inc
Quiet and accurate. A keeper that any amp owner will love- nothing too overly done. Perfect balance between details and warmth. A winner set here! warm sounding tubes with precise resolution - similar to the RCA D getter believe it or not... didn't spend too much time with this as I think they resemble the RCA D getter - this pair is extremely NIB with excellent - μMhos/cm ratings so I didn't want to use it too much just yet as I just checked for noise and microphonics and it has none - also played a few songs and went right over to RCA D getter and its similar (so I moved on)
3D image/stage ★★★★
Musical/Warmth: ★★★★ (since new there is hug potential to score high in all categories)

RCA 12AU7 Mid-Late 1950s, Long Gray Plates with D-getter - very lush yet detailed tubes- a treasure with a rating of μMhos/cm 2600/2400 and 2475/2700 these are like the day they were minted ! holographic and musical- not my favorite for my set up I like the Tung Sol D Getter a bit more but these are still young baby's and need time to open up is my guess. These are a treasure of a tube and will not be broken in by me- they are whisper quiet and beautiful in every way but for me the match up for my headphones and amp are not ideal. This is for a slightly laid back (the warmer of all the RCA's I have- which for some people is WHY these are so desirable and expensive! I have seen these as high as $99 each in 2022 NIB from reputable dealers BUT they dont score as high in life μMhos/cm as my pair - I never seen a tube this old score so high!) BUT for me I don't like my RCAs so warm sounding - I like it a bit more forward. These are more AUDIOphile sound tubes and should please those looking to get lost in the music more than evaluate as my analytical mind is. hats why I know they will open up more as someone owns them.
3D image/stage ★★★★
Musical/Warmth: ★★★★ (since new there is hug potential to score high in all categories)

RCA 12AU7A Early 1960s, Long Gray Plates O-Getter 1960s
near perfect/ideal stock match- Tektronix checked and precision matched pair with the same Tektronix code labels- these come in NIB 2600/2575 μMhos/cm and 2575/2450μMhos/cm - insane numbers for such an old tube! All the great qualities for the RCA long plates from the 1960's one could expect.
3D image/stage ★★★★

AND
Halls of Shame, Part 10 - Youth Journalism International
GE ECC82/ 12AU7 GRAY SHORT PLATE O GETTER - bad sample from BANGYBANG TUBES EBAY - IN DISPUTE FOR RETURN-MANY COMPLAINTS ON LINE HERE IN HEAD-FI!
BUYER BE WARE!
A gross stained box that smelt like mold when it arrived- all their inventory is questionable- I will post images of the tube Ma ratings and boxes so you don't think I am exaggerating- they weren't even a matched pair and Ma looked poor for a NOS- these are at best NEARLY new rating butt ugly box and tube etchings!
(returning to banybang tubes - INDIA
SHADY AS HECK!
I WOULD NOT EVER BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE AGAIN SORRY:
AKA: nosaudiotubes dot com
AKA: bangybang dot com/collections/all
AKA: activepowertechnology @ gmail.com
Updated reviews on some more tube rolling- I hope everyone finds this somewhat useful

Apr 5, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #566 of 1,873
Has anyone experienced rattling tubes? Today I received a package from tubedepot.com with RCA cleartop. I took the tube out of box and something tinkled. I decided to take a closer look and found that something was constantly rattling quietly inside. Visually it looks absolutely normal.

I don’t have a tube tester, and inserting it into an amplifier is now somehow scary. 🤔

P.S. By the way, anybody knows reliable source of RCA cleartops in Europe?

Apr 5, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #567 of 1,873
Has anyone experienced rattling tubes? Today I received a package from tubedepot.com with RCA cleartop. I took the tube out of box and something tinkled. I decided to take a closer look and found that something was constantly rattling quietly inside. Visually it looks absolutely normal.

I don’t have a tube tester, and inserting it into an amplifier is now somehow scary. 🤔

P.S. By the way, anybody knows reliable source of RCA cleartops in Europe?
Getters can move around depending on design but tbh I would be hesitant as hell to install a tube that was rattling....

Have you contacted the seller to ask? Thats were I would start personaly

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #570 of 1,873
Tubedepot offered a replacement, so rattling cleartop will fly back to US. Sad that it happened like this - a long wait, and I’ll also have to pay customs duties a second time. But in any case, it's good that the store is trying to help.
Can you not reclaim customs due to a return? You can even do that in the US and our customs system is jacked....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back