Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Jul 29, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,816 of 2,057
? This headphone is a two way. Balance armature treble driver is at the front of the headphone over your ear opening. You'll feel it with your fingers. You'll see it when swapping pads. It's a very different animal calling for very different modz. Best way to take away treble here is just use a different pad having a smaller ear opening cavity, thereby covering the BA driver. ... not that I recommend cutting the treble.

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #1,817 of 2,057
Removed. Posted this to the wrong thread.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #1,818 of 2,057
Let me derail the pads talk for a sec. I’m wondering about a DAC/amp upgrade and the Pandora Hope VI poses unusual challenges.

First off, my opinion of these headphones is ludicrously positive. The energy they unleash, the emotion they bring out - I can say I really connect with these headphones like I never did with other audio gear.
I own several iems that retail (or were launched) around the same price point - Klipsch x20i, Nuforce HEM8, IMR R1 (my latest and favorite, they share something of a common attitude with the Pandora Hope VI).
I have had a chance to audition several high-end headphones: Senn HD800s and 820, Klipsch Heritage HP3, Denon AH-D7200, the Focal Utopia, Clear and Elear, Ultrasone Signature, Kennerton flagships... Most of them are fine, of course (although some can’t groove :sleeping: and at least one sounds as subtle as a frying pan :cooking:). None impressed me in the way the Final does.
Only the Abyss AB-1266, driven by an Enigmacoustics Athena A1 amp and fed by a Questyle QP1R DAP, gave me a better sense of place - more akin to a travel through time to a jazz club, so realistic I could tell the dimensions and make-up of the room, and almost guess the color of the trumpeter’s tie and the brand of the cigar whose smoke wafted in from the next table over.
Only the Hifiman Susvara, fed by a luxurious Viva amp, provided more nuance and more poise.
So apparently, for me getting an appreciable upgrade to the Pandora Hope VI takes open-back headphones 10x the price :o2smile: and the very best in DACs and amps.

I currently use a Dragonfly Red plugged in my desktop PC. It replaced a Sony PHA-1A, which dished out enough power on the lowest of its 3 gain settings but generated some unpleasant brightness and even sibilance with the Pandora Hope, in spite of a generally warm tuning. The DFR in this use case is undone by precisely what makes it so admirable: its tiny footprint. I sorely miss controls, especially a volume knob. Controlling it from the PC, using my mouse’s scrollwheel and forgetting the volume menu was selected, I thought I was scrolling down a page on my browser but, surprise surprise, I was actually increasing volume from 12 to way too much :no_entry: Fine-grained it is not.
I also wonder what an improvement to conversion and amplification may add to these stellar headphones.

I went back a few pages but some of the most intriguing current options weren’t even around in 2017. What DAC/amp combos have gained you guys’ favor? Of course the need for power is minimal, so I am looking for technical finesse and a signature that flows along with the PHVI’s great qualities: an open stage, musicality and heft, plenty of detail, and no harshness or excessive, metallic tones - although I mostly listen to metal :L3000: and dark electro and folk.

I am looking at Ifi’s line-up, especially the xDSD, Astell & Kern’s Acro L1000, JDS Labs’ Element... Any advice, suggestion, comparison will be greatly appreciated, about these or any other, mostly combined DAC/amps. Tubes could be a great direction, although it often goes hand in hand with an excess of wattage.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #1,819 of 2,057
Let me derail the pads talk for a sec. I’m wondering about a DAC/amp upgrade and the Pandora Hope VI poses unusual challenges.

First off, my opinion of these headphones is ludicrously positive. The energy they unleash, the emotion they bring out - I can say I really connect with these headphones like I never did with other audio gear.
I own several iems that retail (or were launched) around the same price point - Klipsch x20i, Nuforce HEM8, IMR R1 (my latest and favorite, they share something of a common attitude with the Pandora Hope VI).
I have had a chance to audition several high-end headphones: Senn HD800s and 820, Klipsch Heritage HP3, Denon AH-D7200, the Focal Utopia, Clear and Elear, Ultrasone Signature, Kennerton flagships... Most of them are fine, of course (although some can’t groove :sleeping: and at least one sounds as subtle as a frying pan :cooking:). None impressed me in the way the Final does.
Only the Abyss AB-1266, driven by an Enigmacoustics Athena A1 amp and fed by a Questyle QP1R DAP, gave me a better sense of place - more akin to a travel through time to a jazz club, so realistic I could tell the dimensions and make-up of the room, and almost guess the color of the trumpeter’s tie and the brand of the cigar whose smoke wafted in from the next table over.
Only the Hifiman Susvara, fed by a luxurious Viva amp, provided more nuance and more poise.
So apparently, for me getting an appreciable upgrade to the Pandora Hope VI takes open-back headphones 10x the price :o2smile: and the very best in DACs and amps.

I currently use a Dragonfly Red plugged in my desktop PC. It replaced a Sony PHA-1A, which dished out enough power on the lowest of its 3 gain settings but generated some unpleasant brightness and even sibilance with the Pandora Hope, in spite of a generally warm tuning. The DFR in this use case is undone by precisely what makes it so admirable: its tiny footprint. I sorely miss controls, especially a volume knob. Controlling it from the PC, using my mouse’s scrollwheel and forgetting the volume menu was selected, I thought I was scrolling down a page on my browser but, surprise surprise, I was actually increasing volume from 12 to way too much :no_entry: Fine-grained it is not.
I also wonder what an improvement to conversion and amplification may add to these stellar headphones.

I went back a few pages but some of the most intriguing current options weren’t even around in 2017. What DAC/amp combos have gained you guys’ favor? Of course the need for power is minimal, so I am looking for technical finesse and a signature that flows along with the PHVI’s great qualities: an open stage, musicality and heft, plenty of detail, and no harshness or excessive, metallic tones - although I mostly listen to metal :L3000: and dark electro and folk.

I am looking at Ifi’s line-up, especially the xDSD, Astell & Kern’s Acro L1000, JDS Labs’ Element... Any advice, suggestion, comparison will be greatly appreciated, about these or any other, mostly combined DAC/amps. Tubes could be a great direction, although it often goes hand in hand with an excess of wattage.

I use a iFi Micro iDSD and I think it gives good synergy with the Pandora VI.,especially with the XBass on. with the 3D option it's a bit of a hit or miss, since it can be a bit too bright.
also, I recently acquired a AK70 MKII and used the Pandora VI in balanced mode and I think it really shines... better bass, wider stage.
among other dac/amps, I also have an old Geek Out 450 and I like symphonic metal with this combo.

Aug 21, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #1,820 of 2,057
I use a iFi Micro iDSD and I think it gives good synergy with the Pandora VI.,especially with the XBass on. with the 3D option it's a bit of a hit or miss, since it can be a bit too bright.
also, I recently acquired a AK70 MKII and used the Pandora VI in balanced mode and I think it really shines... better bass, wider stage.
among other dac/amps, I also have an old Geek Out 450 and I like symphonic metal with this combo.
Cool, thanks. What balanced cable are you using?

Aug 21, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #1,821 of 2,057
Jan 26, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #1,822 of 2,057
I just received it, now testing it with iBasso DX50. Would like to find out so far anyone proceed to custom made better(?) cable for it? The normal mono 3.5mm plug cannot fully fit into the connector on headphone side, due to the locking part. Wonder any place can get this special plug with locking.

My understanding is that the US distributor sells the connectors for those who want to experiment with cables. If you are elsewhere, check with the final distributor.

Jan 26, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #1,823 of 2,057
I just purchased the Sonorous VI. Bought the IV in December because of a holiday sale, was impressed with the sound that I had to buy the VI.

According to final’s website, the drivers between the two models are the same as is the overall design, just the ear cups and other resonance controlling methods were employed to better the sound. And better the sound the VI does. I’m extremely happy with my purchase. The bass is deeper with better texture and decay and the trebles are smoother yet still retain the enhanced clarity and spatial characteristics that made the IV a great listen.

I’m up to 40 hours of play time, so I’ll see if further improvements come, but as it is right now, I love the sound. IVs are up for sale in the classifieds for a great price.

Jan 26, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #1,825 of 2,057
Last thing, the thread title should be changed to reflect the current model name ... might be confusing for those who are new to final. I wonder if a moderator can do this or the OP if they are still active on this thread.

Jan 26, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #1,827 of 2,057
1 vote yes, 1 vote no. :beerchug:

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #1,828 of 2,057
I vote for BOTH names. :p

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #1,830 of 2,057
Anyone compared these to the Aeon Flow Closed? They seem to come at things from a very different angle but both have a closed design and occupy a similar price point. I have the Pandora VI’s but as a Hugo 2 owner I am intrigued by all the positive noise surrounding the Hugo 2 and Aeon pairing.

Any insights appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back