Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Mar 10, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #1,801 of 2,057
BTW. Are the Final Audio Type-A (deeper pads) any better or should I just skip buying those and go straight to recommended Dekoni?

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,802 of 2,057
Just wanted to add my own experience with the Pandora Hope VI/Sonorous VI. Earlier in my audio journey, I was obsessed with collecting a lot headphones to experience all the "house sounds" of different manufacturers. However, when funds got tight, I sold everything except the Sonorous VI and a pair of Grados that I really enjoyed.

I see the PH/Sonorous VI go around $300-$400 used, and I really do believe they're one of the best competitors at this price range. Although I wouldn't describe them as the best at any particular frequency, what they do bring to the table is an incredible cohesiveness of sound. What I mean by that is that nothing feels recessed or artificially boosted, and music just sounds proper. I was in band/jazz band for 4 years, so I find the tonality of certain instruments lacking in certain headphones. This is not the case with these headphones. No driver will ever perfectly replicate the sound of a live instrument, but these get you pretty darn close.

As an example of an excellent headphone lacking in tonality, I bought the LCD-2F as my "end game" headphone, but upon acquiring this, I noticed just how recessed the highs and hollow the mids of the LCD-2f sounded. If you disagree, I dare you to strum a guitar chord or blow into a flute, and try to replicate those sounds using the LCD-2s.

If you can get over the uncomfortable pads and heaviness of these headphones (It actually feels heavier because the pad do not distribute the headphone that well), they are still my top recommendation sub $500.

Honestly, I sold them because of their low impedance, which made me foolishly think that they do not scale well with gear. As I upgraded my chain, I sold these, and since then, have yet to hear a headphone that sounds this good at their market price (I have owned the HE-400i, TH-X00, Beyer DT1990, MDR-Z7, AKG k712, Ultraone Pro 900i, and others around this price).

Note: When I currently owned these, the SRH1540 pads were the recommended pads. They did affect the sound, but the stock pads are just so bad that I was unable to use them (had them in the summer, and I'd be sweating within 10 minutes). If more favorable ear pads have been found, I'd highly recommend everyone to give these an audition.

I've bought, sold, and swapped many headphones since I've started my audio journey. These are truly the only ones I've sold that I want to one day own again.

Edit: I've never heard the T1 or the HD800, so if anyone could offer some comparisons to the Pandora/Sonous VI, that'd be awesome.

Great info mate. Thank you. I just might order T1 gen 2 and Final Audi VI to compare them

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #1,803 of 2,057
Just wanted to add my own experience with the Pandora Hope VI/Sonorous VI. Earlier in my audio journey, I was obsessed with collecting a lot headphones to experience all the "house sounds" of different manufacturers. However, when funds got tight, I sold everything except the Sonorous VI and a pair of Grados that I really enjoyed.

I see the PH/Sonorous VI go around $300-$400 used, and I really do believe they're one of the best competitors at this price range. Although I wouldn't describe them as the best at any particular frequency, what they do bring to the table is an incredible cohesiveness of sound. What I mean by that is that nothing feels recessed or artificially boosted, and music just sounds proper. I was in band/jazz band for 4 years, so I find the tonality of certain instruments lacking in certain headphones. This is not the case with these headphones. No driver will ever perfectly replicate the sound of a live instrument, but these get you pretty darn close.

As an example of an excellent headphone lacking in tonality, I bought the LCD-2F as my "end game" headphone, but upon acquiring this, I noticed just how recessed the highs and hollow the mids of the LCD-2f sounded. If you disagree, I dare you to strum a guitar chord or blow into a flute, and try to replicate those sounds using the LCD-2s.

If you can get over the uncomfortable pads and heaviness of these headphones (It actually feels heavier because the pad do not distribute the headphone that well), they are still my top recommendation sub $500.

Honestly, I sold them because of their low impedance, which made me foolishly think that they do not scale well with gear. As I upgraded my chain, I sold these, and since then, have yet to hear a headphone that sounds this good at their market price (I have owned the HE-400i, TH-X00, Beyer DT1990, MDR-Z7, AKG k712, Ultraone Pro 900i, and others around this price).

Note: When I currently owned these, the SRH1540 pads were the recommended pads. They did affect the sound, but the stock pads are just so bad that I was unable to use them (had them in the summer, and I'd be sweating within 10 minutes). If more favorable ear pads have been found, I'd highly recommend everyone to give these an audition.

I've bought, sold, and swapped many headphones since I've started my audio journey. These are truly the only ones I've sold that I want to one day own again.

Edit: I've never heard the T1 or the HD800, so if anyone could offer some comparisons to the Pandora/Sonous VI, that'd be awesome.

Totally agree about such a cohesive sound. You can tell what my favourite house signature is.

My favourite pad thus far are the angled brainwavz pads non perforated pleather. They tame the highs, add a little more space to the sound and add a little more bass/sub-bass. Gives a very clean, balanced sound with much better comfort. Only issue is the fitment ring behind the pads are wider and more ovaloid so are trickier to fit. Perhaps the ZMF pads would be better but I think non perforated and angled pads do very well.

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #1,804 of 2,057
Just wanted to add my own experience with the Pandora Hope VI/Sonorous VI. Earlier in my audio journey, I was obsessed with collecting a lot headphones to experience all the "house sounds" of different manufacturers. However, when funds got
tight, I sold everything except the Sonorous VI and a pair of Grados that I really enjoyed.

I have both T1.2 and Sonorous VI at home ATM for last few weeks. I will write a quick comparison soon but T1.2 are much better HPs in my view.

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #1,806 of 2,057
Hi,

Yes the right equipment is key here but those require specific equipment to sound good. When it should not be this way. With neutral sounding gear those are not too good to say it politely. I would imagine those would pair well with tubes with very "tubish" sound :)

T1.2 are also far from perfect but are more compatible with neutral gear. D7200 are best of the 3 for neutral gear but those lack in resolution department. T1.2 are also less resolving then Pandoras but still significantly more resolving then D7200.

Combining the 3 would be perfect but still D7200 are overall easy winner out of the bunch they do 85% things right with neutral gear while T1.2 maybe 60% and Pandora maybe 40%.

I am sure in different system my assessment could be different but Pandoras have some underlining problems which will be true independently from the system.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #1,807 of 2,057
Would it be redundant to have the Audio Technica A2000z and the Sonorous VI?

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,808 of 2,057
Would it be redundant to have the Audio Technica A2000z and the Sonorous VI?

I'm not sure if it's redundant. They are quite different. Personally, I think the ATH A2000z has a lot more treble (and accentuates the bass) and soundstage than the FADPHVI.

As a reference, I currently use 3 main headphones with my Marantz HD-DAC1. AKG K702, W1000X and the PHVI. The K702 for a more critical listen, where every detail is needed. W1000X for something really emotive and vocal centric. Everything else, I use the PHVI. I also use the Brainwavz angled pads, as it's been the best I've tried so far.

May 6, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #1,809 of 2,057
After a few days with the Sonorous IV, I am having a couple issues. Number one, the comfort is terrible. My ears are touching the drivers, which causes constant annoyance and irritation. Number 2, the treble on this headphone is way too harsh in the 8-10kHz region. I discovered today that Brainwavz now has a new XL Large round and flat pleather pad available, which is bigger than their other round pad. Has anyone used this on this headphone ?

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-La...076SGPZ2D/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

May 7, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #1,812 of 2,057
I tried the Brainwavz pads and found them a bit loose. It allowed the cups to slide around on the pad. Not a huge issue, but it messed with the image a bit. I have the ZMF ORI pads in sheepskin. Reduces the bass "rumble", but improves articulation. It helps with the treble glare a bit too. I found the best thing to help with the glare was to run them in for 5 days straight at moderate volume. I just put them on a pillow (for acoustic loading of the drivers) and let them run.

May 8, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #1,814 of 2,057
Well, sad to say, but I set up a refund for my Sonorous IV, and I ended up getting a Shure SRH1540 instead. I just did not want to horse around with buying pads to fix comfort issues on a brand new headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back