Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Dec 10, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #1,786 of 2,057
I had both IV and VI for about 2 months on loan from friends prior to buying my VI.
To me, VI has a bit more of a lot of things more than just the bass. The soundstage is more vivid, the resolution more sharp. Probably all comes from the body being less prone to vibration because of the weight.
I have never worried about the weight personally, and I wear them often for 3-4 hours at a time.
When I listened back to back, VI just wowed me more.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #1,787 of 2,057
I had both IV and VI for about 2 months on loan from friends prior to buying my VI.
To me, VI has a bit more of a lot of things more than just the bass. The soundstage is more vivid, the resolution more sharp. Probably all comes from the body being less prone to vibration because of the weight.
I have never worried about the weight personally, and I wear them often for 3-4 hours at a time.
When I listened back to back, VI just wowed me more.
Thanks bro......

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #1,789 of 2,057
While I originally fell in love with the sound, I quickly found that it was impossible to listen to them for any extended amount of time because my ears were pressing against the drivers. I met Zach of ZMF headphones at a local meet recently and discussed the comfort problem with the Pandora VI. We tried out a few different things and ultimately found the perfect option, these lambskin pads with a good deal more space for your ears. The new pads only ever so slightly changed the sound (more bass) but took the comfort from a 2/10 to a 9/10. Highly recommend any owner of the Pandora VI to consider changing the stock pads.
http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/omni-pads
Thanks for the info man!. I love the sound but the comfort is just awful. Going to pick up the Ori protein pads based off your recommendation (I can only really buy the protein variants), just hope the protein sound is as good or close to the lambskin.

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,790 of 2,057
Just to contribute to the talk, ysterday I´ve received the Mass Drop´s ZMF Ori Lambskin perforated + Pilot Pad and it´s a true improvement about comfort concerns, I´ll have to listen at least a couple of hours to confirm.
About the sound effect, well comparing with the original ¨A¨Pads, I have to raise the volume, as my ears are now not so closed to the cup´s membrane, i didn´t yet noticed more bass (perforated pads !) and it seems
to loose a bit of details, not so much, but something... Its just a first feeling...
IMG_1510.JPG

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #1,792 of 2,057
I was late to the game to discover these headphones. Picked up a an open box set the other day after comparing it with many other closed cans.

My thoughts:
- was just using my Iphone SE with Capriccio player, playing FLAC files and was blown away by the clarity, punch, imaging, sound quality and 3D-ness
- these cans are so good, that they make your music sound like they are being pumped out of a good DAC/AMP even though they aren't
- they are fun and engaging cans, because they add punch to everything; its like hitting the Loudness button on a Vintage Marantz receiver
- I really liked the build quality too, Japanese made, you can tell that the selection of materials and assembly were done with care

What could be better:
- the weight - I didn't notice at the shop, but these cans are heavy and for long sessions you will get a sore neck
- the size - these things are massive - they look ridiculous on your head and turn you into some type of droid
- same complaints as the others, the stock pads (Type A) on mine are very thin and uncomfortable
- the ergonomics need work too - I like the smooth action of the slide, but the headphones feel like they will come off when you wiggle your head in the slightest
- with the sound at times I found that there was too much punch - the bass is impactful, but sometimes too much so - it shakes up your head a bit, like you were standing next to a huge set of speakers in a night club - that can't be good for you in the long run
- the highs - maybe because they are so efficient at just 8 Ohms impedance - at times can be shouty

What I'm doing to my set:
- I have too many headphones, I also own Hifiman HE-400s, HE400is, Monoprice M1060s, Focal Clear and many others - I had done a bit of pad rolling with those other headphones to improve performance and happened to have a set of Mr. Speakers Ether C angle pads kicking around - tried these out on the Final Sonorous VI and they solve the comfort issues - now you get thicker pads, your ears have enough room with the bigger earholes and the sound quality is not compromised - might even be better
- also have a Teac UD-503 amp which supports balanced out and I have an RME ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition Audio Interface on the way as well with the same connectors - they both support balanced out - that should help improve sound too if I can find or make a cable - the TEAC has a cool Active Ground Balanced Mode which drops the noise floor even lower so the music sounds better
- I bought these closed cans for home use (because they are too big to travel with) and I also do conference calls with it - you can use a Meze 99 headset cable with it because it has skinny 3.5mm connectors

That's it - glad I stumbled upon these.

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,793 of 2,057
Guys,

These or Bayerdynamic T1 v1 or v2?

Amplification is not an issue.

Cheers

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #1,794 of 2,057
I prefer general listening using these than Beyer because I don't get fatigued using these.
I owned both and used them with Marantz hd dac 1. But Beyer went, as I didn't really have a use for it now, where it would have been a good studio headphone if I was still doing that sort of work.
For the type of sound I like, I haven't found something that comes close to the final for the price.

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #1,795 of 2,057
I prefer general listening using these than Beyer because I don't get fatigued using these.
I owned both and used them with Marantz hd dac 1. But Beyer went, as I didn't really have a use for it now, where it would have been a good studio headphone if I was still doing that sort of work.
For the type of sound I like, I haven't found something that comes close to the final for the price.

I think I will try both and decide for myself.

By all I read about both I prefer these (also tube speakers fan) but I am worried about weight and comfort with those. So I will give a try to both. Already bought T1 v2 and I should get Pandora's tomorrow hopefully.

Are Shure pads still the preferred replacement for OE pads to increase the comfort and not to affect signature too much?

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #1,796 of 2,057
I think I will try both and decide for myself.

By all I read about both I prefer these (also tube speakers fan) but I am worried about weight and comfort with those. So I will give a try to both. Already bought T1 v2 and I should get Pandora's tomorrow hopefully.

Are Shure pads still the preferred replacement for OE pads to increase the comfort and not to affect signature too much?

For comfort yes, but they mess up the sound sig too much.

My favorite pads are the Dekoni TH900 sheepskin pads. The Brainwavz pleather flat pads are pretty good too.

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #1,797 of 2,057
For comfort yes, but they mess up the sound sig too much.

My favorite pads are the Dekoni TH900 sheepskin pads. The Brainwavz pleather flat pads are pretty good too.

Many thanks for this comment my friend.

I assume that Dekoni would still increase the comfort but not at the price of messing too much with sig?

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #1,798 of 2,057
Many thanks for this comment my friend.

I assume that Dekoni would still increase the comfort but not at the price of messing too much with sig?

Yes on both counts.

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,799 of 2,057
Mar 10, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #1,800 of 2,057
Thanks again. I will keep it in mind once I decide which to keep T1 or VI

Just wanted to add my own experience with the Pandora Hope VI/Sonorous VI. Earlier in my audio journey, I was obsessed with collecting a lot headphones to experience all the "house sounds" of different manufacturers. However, when funds got tight, I sold everything except the Sonorous VI and a pair of Grados that I really enjoyed.

I see the PH/Sonorous VI go around $300-$400 used, and I really do believe they're one of the best competitors at this price range. Although I wouldn't describe them as the best at any particular frequency, what they do bring to the table is an incredible cohesiveness of sound. What I mean by that is that nothing feels recessed or artificially boosted, and music just sounds proper. I was in band/jazz band for 4 years, so I find the tonality of certain instruments lacking in certain headphones. This is not the case with these headphones. No driver will ever perfectly replicate the sound of a live instrument, but these get you pretty darn close.

As an example of an excellent headphone lacking in tonality, I bought the LCD-2F as my "end game" headphone, but upon acquiring this, I noticed just how recessed the highs and hollow the mids of the LCD-2f sounded. If you disagree, I dare you to strum a guitar chord or blow into a flute, and try to replicate those sounds using the LCD-2s.

If you can get over the uncomfortable pads and heaviness of these headphones (It actually feels heavier because the pad do not distribute the headphone that well), they are still my top recommendation sub $500.

Honestly, I sold them because of their low impedance, which made me foolishly think that they do not scale well with gear. As I upgraded my chain, I sold these, and since then, have yet to hear a headphone that sounds this good at their market price (I have owned the HE-400i, TH-X00, Beyer DT1990, MDR-Z7, AKG k712, Ultraone Pro 900i, and others around this price).

Note: When I currently owned these, the SRH1540 pads were the recommended pads. They did affect the sound, but the stock pads are just so bad that I was unable to use them (had them in the summer, and I'd be sweating within 10 minutes). If more favorable ear pads have been found, I'd highly recommend everyone to give these an audition.

I've bought, sold, and swapped many headphones since I've started my audio journey. These are truly the only ones I've sold that I want to one day own again.

Edit: I've never heard the T1 or the HD800, so if anyone could offer some comparisons to the Pandora/Sonous VI, that'd be awesome.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back