Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Jan 15, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #1,696 of 2,057
When I took mine off 'Type A' was stamped on the inner part of the pad. It wasn't easy to make out but it was there. So, you could try that. They're easy to remove and replace. But if your HPs are Sonorous like mine rather than Pandora I'd better a few pounds you have the Type A which I believe are now stock for the iv and vi. The type B pads I mentioned in my last post are the ones from the original run of Pandoras and are the ones most folks prefer for SQ, if not comfort. But as I said, I can't promise they'll keep the sound anymore "in".

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #1,698 of 2,057
Does anyone know where I can buy the locking 3.5 connectors? I want to make a balanced cable for my Hope VI. Links would be appreciated.

Only Final Audio Design has these locking 3.5 mm connectors and I do not know if they will sell them. FAD has been designing a balanced cable for some time, but I don't think they are available yet. ALO Cables was selling balanced cables for FAD, but that relationship had ended and they do not have any more cables.

Some Head-Fi members claim to have balanced cables made with non-locking 3.5 mm earpads connectors that will not fall out. You can search for them on this forum. I have tried several brands of 3.5 mm connectors and they were all too short to even make a connection.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #1,699 of 2,057
Can't help with the locking connector, but as the poster before me suggested, there are non-locking cables that will fit and be secure.

I have a balanced Plussoundaudio cable and it is very secure. You'd have to tug on it pretty good for it to slip out. (Works with my Elear as well)

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #1,700 of 2,057
Only Final Audio Design has these locking 3.5 mm connectors and I do not know if they will sell them. FAD has been designing a balanced cable for some time, but I don't think they are available yet. ALO Cables was selling balanced cables for FAD, but that relationship had ended and they do not have any more cables.

Some Head-Fi members claim to have balanced cables made with non-locking 3.5 mm earpads connectors that will not fall out. You can search for them on this forum. I have tried several brands of 3.5 mm connectors and they were all too short to even make a connection.

From my searching online I found a couple of connectors that should work for reaching into the cups. The first one will definitly work but it is pretty expensive at $27 for a pair.

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=190

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262573670752?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm going to try the cheaper ones first. If they work I will let everyone here know!

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #1,701 of 2,057

From my searching online I found a couple of connectors that should work for reaching into the cups. The first one will definitly work but it is pretty expensive at $27 for a pair.

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=190

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262573670752?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm going to try the cheaper ones first. If they work I will let everyone here know!

Yes, the first one definitely works. They came with my custom cables and it's working very well for me.

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #1,702 of 2,057
Does Pad Rolling improve sound isolation? Curious if the ZMF pads could improve the isolation.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #1,703 of 2,057
Feb 1, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #1,704 of 2,057
the m50x velor pads sold by Massdrop is a good option.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #1,706 of 2,057
Which is better? Cowhide or Lambskin?

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #1,707 of 2,057
Feb 2, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #1,708 of 2,057
Which is better? Cowhide or Lambskin?

I have cowhide on mine, really like them

I have the ZMF cowhide pads and while I've not put them on the VI's, everything else I've had them on has decreased the treble and increased the bass. So if you want a darker sound from the VI's, they'd be perfect.

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #1,709 of 2,057
What differences exists between the cowhide and Lambskin ones?

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #1,710 of 2,057
  For anyone looking for replacement pads, if you're willing to spend a little more, the Shure Alcantara pads are really nice. They provide much more clearance for the ears so they don't touch the driver. Also increases soundstage a bit with a tiny bit loss in detail.

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC1540-Replacement-Alcantara-Headphones/dp/B00HXAV0UY/

My Hope VI was pretty much collecting dust in the closet since I bought the Focal Elear. Then I read your post on the Shure pads, decide to give it a shot...

WOW. I got them last night, slapped them on and it's a whole new ballgame. The comfort is the first game changer. The greater cushioning and diameter give a better fit around the ears and the space between the drivers. 

If that wasn't enough, as you said, it increases the soundstage without losing much of the sound signature. The tradeoff in small detail loss is insignificant in what you gain.

It now earns it's spot right alongside the Elear. No more closet dwelling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back