Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Aug 19, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #1,606 of 2,057

Do you know where you can get them in America?

In theory, any official FAD partner/reseller should be able to sniff them out for you.

Originally I dropped the FAD US rep on here ( http://www.head-fi.org/u/424374/final-us ) a message and they directed me to a local Australasian reseller who confirmed they could get them, but fortunately I found a set on sale here from a fellow Headfier and bought them much cheaper than they would have been new!

Sep 20, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,608 of 2,057
  A couple of positive reviews on the Meze 99 Classics caught my interest. Can somebody compare them to the Hope 6 (original shallow pads)?

The Meze is way lighter(well only LCDs are on par with this on-head brick), so better comfort, however the meze's earpads are those hard pleather pads which will cause discomfort imo.

The Meze sounds fun, soundstage is like half of Pandora's, but the shape of it is like a can compare to Pandora's pizza shape.
Tho the density and thickness is definitely not on par with Pandora, same with separation, resolution, and other sound qualities.
The Meze does sound unique, would pair good with a lot of genres too.

Not sure why you would like a comparison between these two very different cans, they're not even at the same class, not even the price.
Tho I would recommend the Meze, especially over those portable closed-back popular choices such as M50x and Momentum. It is just special.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #1,609 of 2,057
  Not sure why you would like a comparison between these two very different cans, they're not even at the same class, not even the price.

Thanks for your input. When you say the Meze is a downgrade in overall sound quality, are we talking about a completely different experience or something you barely notice?

Why I'm looking for a comparison: There's no place to audition "exotic" cans nearby and I don't like to buy stuff in order to return it after testing. So I went for the Hope 6 blindly about a year ago and I can't say they're disappointing, but I'm not happy with them either. This time I can at least put things in perspective when somebody compares the pandora to something else.

My main issue with the pandora: The soundstage is too wide for my taste – or maybe it's just not deep enough for how wide it is. I'd only call it pizza shaped if I held the pizza in front of my face like a mirror – so close that the topping burns my skin. I expect the music to be located in a cone in front of me. It irritates me when some instruments seem to be located right beside or above me.

Comfort is not a huge issue for me, but the weight does make the pandoras a little inconvenient. According to your description the Meze appears to improve these two aspects – comfort and soundstage – for my taste.

Soundwise I like the Pandora very much for ambient music and "quiet" parts with a small ensemble of instruments. However, most of my music is progressive rock/metal with powerful male singers and I miss some punch. I'm looking for an alternative that makes the most out of male vocals and dynamic sound, with what I call a more "natural" soundstage. Do you think the Meze is worth a try?

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #1,611 of 2,057

Thanks for your input. When you say the Meze is a downgrade in overall sound quality, are we talking about a completely different experience or something you barely notice?

Why I'm looking for a comparison: There's no place to audition "exotic" cans nearby and I don't like to buy stuff in order to return it after testing. So I went for the Hope 6 blindly about a year ago and I can't say they're disappointing, but I'm not happy with them either. This time I can at least put things in perspective when somebody compares the pandora to something else.

My main issue with the pandora: The soundstage is too wide for my taste – or maybe it's just not deep enough for how wide it is. I'd only call it pizza shaped if I held the pizza in front of my face like a mirror – so close that the topping burns my skin. I expect the music to be located in a cone in front of me. It irritates me when some instruments seem to be located right beside or above me.

Comfort is not a huge issue for me, but the weight does make the pandoras a little inconvenient. According to your description the Meze appears to improve these two aspects – comfort and soundstage – for my taste.

Soundwise I like the Pandora very much for ambient music and "quiet" parts with a small ensemble of instruments. However, most of my music is progressive rock/metal with powerful male singers and I miss some punch. I'm looking for an alternative that makes the most out of male vocals and dynamic sound, with what I call a more "natural" soundstage. Do you think the Meze is worth a try?

OK, first thing first, I adore the Pandora. So I will say it's a half-half on both sides.
Heck I got the TH-X00 Purpleheart and still think it's one or many grades lower than my Pandora. in the listening experience. 
The vocal of the Pandora is just superb.

I get what your dislike for the soundstage of the Pandora. The vertical soundstage is just gigantic compare to the horizontal soundstage.
The Meze's soundstage is rather conventional shaped, much balanced on both axii compare to the Pandora. Like your normal headphones.
The sound is kinda JVC-esque, lush and warm, not sure I will call it dynamic though. 
And I won't really call the male vocal on the Meze to be superior, but the punch? Definitely. God the Pandora really has tiny bass.

Actually in almost all senses the Meze is a pair conventional headphones, when compare to the Pandora. So you can expect great improvement on comfort , if your head ain't inhumanly huge.
The Meze can easily become a portable choice, and the fact that the form factor of it it is a pair of portable cans. 
I did mention it fits a lot of genre well, except instrumental or orchestra, didn't I? 
The sound of it is so different from the Pandora, you will hardly compare both of them, which goes back to my question/conclusion in last post.
I'm tempted to get a pair too, but my hands are full of stuffs to listen right now and I'm moving soon.

Get The Meze :)

Oct 4, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #1,612 of 2,057
After some time searching, I got a custom cable made from Mimic Cables.
I got the option to get OCC upgrade, braided and 6.3mm male on the source side for $100 USD or so. Not a huge outlay really.

My initial impression is that they widened the soundstage just a bit and reduced background noise.
One annoying thing is, even though I asked for 2x 3.5mm mono connection, they put on 2x 3.5 TRS stereo connections and only terminated it to the middle ring. Which make it only work if it's slightly pulled out. I had to unscrew the assembly and use my soldering iron and bridge it to the stem inside the case on both side. 3 minutes fix and it's all good to go now, but it was a slight source of irritation when I received it first. Now I think about it, it's still a decently built cheap cable that eliminated the need to use the 3.5mm<6.3mm adapter and had an added bonus of a slight sound improvement, so I'm not complaining much.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #1,618 of 2,057
Pic with my hope 6 and hope 4. the 6 has denon earpads, the 4 has shure earpads. final audio just can't get earpads right!

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #1,620 of 2,057

How is the sound quality affected?

On the Hope 6- the denon earpads brought out a little more stage and bass. The comfort increase is fantastic as the stock pads are horrible. 

On the Hope 4- the stock earpads are comfortable BUT perform like open air foam pads, all the bass is gone. Putting on the shure earpads greatly increased the bass and tamed some the shrillness on the highs. Sounds like a great, nicely detailed headphone now. Not up to what the Hope 6 is, but much closer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back