Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Jul 9, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #1,576 of 2,057
Heard some good things of the Oppo. For amplifier though I suggest looking for portable amps or a DAP. Desktop amp are mainly used to drive low sensitivity high impedance headphones (esspecially tubes amp) so it might not be a good idea to get them due to various issues like high gains, large output impedance....... There are some exceptions of course like the JDS elements but they are few and far between. The ifi SE does seems nice on paper though I am not too fond of signal annetuation like Xbass 3D stuff.

Jul 9, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #1,577 of 2,057
The oppo thi very good, super smooth. And i try the Ifi ican se, the sound stage and imaging is better. I not really in to DAP, because with the same price you can get much better Dac/Amp. I use my phone Lg g3 or my laptop MSI GT70 to drive the oppo. If it is portable then i have the ATH im03 ^^

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,579 of 2,057
Does anyone know what the compatible cables are for the FAD Pandora Hope VI are?
I want to get a replacement cable as I'm sick of having to use an adaptor to use with my 1/4" sources.
I need a cable with a 1/4" jack on one end and compatible with the Pandora locking mechanism.
HELP!

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,580 of 2,057
  Does anyone know what the compatible cables are for the FAD Pandora Hope VI are?
I want to get a replacement cable as I'm sick of having to use an adaptor to use with my 1/4" sources.
I need a cable with a 1/4" jack on one end and compatible with the Pandora locking mechanism.
HELP!

Seriously I freaked out a bit when I saw your avatar lol. Anw there's a vendor near me that made cable for the Denon and as I tried it works fine with the Pandora even without the locking mechanism (just normal 3.5 jacks). Personally I never lock my cable either and no problem so far, in the long run it might slip out though.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #1,581 of 2,057
The FAD Pandora/Sonorous VI uses proprietary twist lock connectors at the earcups. They are extra long 3.5mm connectors. At this time only ALO Audio has these connectors and can make a custom cable. I was told that FAD will make their own balanced cable soon but will probably use 3.5mm on the source end.

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #1,582 of 2,057

Seriously I freaked out a bit when I saw your avatar lol. Anw there's a vendor near me that made cable for the Denon and as I tried it works fine with the Pandora even without the locking mechanism (just normal 3.5 jacks). Personally I never lock my cable either and no problem so far, in the long run it might slip out though.

LOL
We've got the same avatar! We've cropped it just slightly differently though, by the looks.

hmm... so you had custom cables made and it works?
And the other option is ALO... okay, I'll have a look. I might also email FAD and see if they are planning on any 1/4" jack cables...

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,583 of 2,057
I didn't buy it, just a brief demo. Not sure if I can justify the price since the sounds changes are pretty small (but they are there). Here's a pic:

It doesn't lock, but in my demo it didn't slip out either. And I never lock my stock cables anyway. All in all just find a normal jack, terminated one channel only and you should be fine (That's what the maker told me anw, and supposedly it's a Sony Z7 cables).

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #1,584 of 2,057
  I didn't buy it, just a brief demo. Not sure if I can justify the price since the sounds changes are pretty small (but they are there). Here's a pic:

It doesn't lock, but in my demo it didn't slip out either. And I never lock my stock cables anyway. All in all just find a normal jack, terminated one channel only and you should be fine (That's what the maker told me anw, and supposedly it's a Sony Z7 cables).

Thanks for the info. I will have a look for other similar custom cables which may work.

I looked up the ALO suggested above, and it's 54,000 JPY!! That's like $700 Australian dollars... 75% of the headphone itself!! Bugger that!

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #1,585 of 2,057
After a quick look, it seems there are Sony, Audioquest Nighthawk, B&W P3 series which uses either 3.5mm stereo or mono jacks on the headphone end, and may be compatible.
After looking at some of the Japanese websites, I may be able to get one of them for around $70AUD and another for about $140AUD, so I might have a bit of a play with both, if I can...
I will report back if I do end up going down those paths.

EDIT: after another look, it seems B&W P3 and Nighthawk are 2.5mm mono plug, so that won't work! :frowning2:
It seems Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2 is also a 3.5mmx2 mono plug compatible.

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #1,586 of 2,057
Do you really need to have another cable? The stock one is not that bad. But if you want to upgrade. May be go to xuanvu, they have alot of highend cable. You can try it before buying. To see if there is any improvement

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #1,587 of 2,057
Do you really need to have another cable? The stock one is not that bad. But if you want to upgrade. May be go to xuanvu, they have alot of highend cable. You can try it before buying. To see if there is any improvement

It's not an upgrade, it's about eliminating using the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. I use my Pandora Hope VI almost always with 1/4" sources and I hate using the adapter.
I don't really care if the cable is not any "better", as long it's as good as the original.
I am not chasing an improvement. I am chasing the functionality/physicality of single cable as opposed to a cable+adapter.

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #1,588 of 2,057
Oh ok. Then may be build a new cale from xuanvu or some cable shop is less expensive than buying from online. Plus you can know the structure of the cable. Viet Nam has a lot of cable maker. Hope you find one soon mate ^^

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #1,590 of 2,057
  Does anyone know if there if there is a way to tighten the slide mechanism on the VI? Like if I peal off the company logo will there be a screw under it I can tighten? Or would I have to remove the whole driver unit?

I'd rather use ruber bands (invisible one is good). Tried removing the screw once and it was suck into the driver, definetely NOT easy to take it out though I do managed eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back