Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Apr 29, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #977 of 2,057
I've found that Hope VI are a bit bright.  Mine have the Hope 4 pads on them.  Do you guys think changing pads will help tame down the brightness?  I've found it harsh sometimes especially with the slam on piano keys...

Any pads you would recommend?  Thanks!  I'm also thinking about adding a warm DAC/AMP.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #978 of 2,057
Quote:
  I've found that Hope VI are a bit bright.  Mine have the Hope 4 pads on them.  Do you guys think changing pads will help tame down the brightness?  I've found it harsh sometimes especially with the slam on piano keys...

Any pads you would recommend?  Thanks!  I'm also thinking about adding a warm DAC/AMP.

I found mine got less bright about 50 hours in - I'll assume you've burned yours in so on to the pad question. The non-memory-foam HM5 pads that jellofund recommended do work well, and in addition to being more comfortable I feel they cut down on the brightness some. That said, I also find that they cut down on the punchiness of the bass, and also result in a very slight decrease in detail, so I think they are more ideal for some music rather than others. For example, when I'm listening to really well produced electronic music like Future Sound of London, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, or even later Nine Inch Nails albums, I prefer the original pads (the soft, not very deep ones). The other day, though I was listening to a lot of classic rock and some classical music and I preferred the HM5 pads.

Anyway, I think they are worth a shot, though there are plenty of options out there. My next step is to find something like the HM5 pads but not quite as deep, I think that would be a good compromise between the comfort of the HM5 without losing the punchiness that I love about the Pandora VI.

As an engineer, I must make a disclaimer that this is all subjective! jello says he can't tell a difference in the sound between the HM5 and the stock pads, so I could just be imagining things.

Quote:

I find the original,non-memory foam, Brainwavz pads work very well and are deeper than the stock pads. Amazon only stock the newer memory foam version (the velour version of those doesn't work well with PH VI but haven't tried the pleather) but they can be bought from MP4 Nation:

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1-pair

Others have had good results with Shure (SRH-880 I think) pads.

As for DAC / amps, I'm using the Meridian Explorer USB DAC w/ my MacBook Pro when I'm at work or otherwise on the go. At home I use the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus w/ upgraded OpAmp and Tube (though the tube doesn't matter, the headphone out is not on the tube's signal path).  For a bit I was concerned about the super low input impedance of the Pandora VI, at 8 ohms it's under a lot of amps minimum output impedences. This is actually a good thing for the Meridian because it outputs at 5 ohms and has plenty of power for the Pandora V1. The MavAudio DAC I use at home has a minimum output impedance of 16 ohms through the headphone out, twice that of the minimum input impedance of the Pandora VI's, so I emailed Ryan from MavAudio about this and this was his response:

"Hi Ty,

It is completely safe to use the D1 Plus with your Pandora Hope VI, you don't need to worry about damaging the unit.

please do let me know if you have any question.

Cheers,

Ryan"

This is good news, since the Pandora's sound AMAZING out of my MavAudio DAC. Typically if you use a set of cans (or speakers) with lower input impedance than the output impedance of your amp, the increase in current can possibly cause damage to the amplifier. I got this from Benchmark Audio but I can't find a link to the source at the moment. Anyway, I don't know if Ryan's advice is specific to his DAC / Amp or if it might reign true for other DAC / Amp combos because the Pandora VI uses a balanced armature driver instead of a conventional one. This is where we get out of my wheelhouse so if anyone wants to chime in, feel free. Jello recommended the O2 by JDS Labs, and they make a DAC as well and can customize the gain on it to suit your headphones, so they may be worth a try as well.

I just wrote too much text again...

/Ty

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #979 of 2,057

Absolutely. I found the PH4 pads troublesome to say the least and they are markedly different sounding to the original PH6 pads. 

Whilst the Pandora can still sound a smidge bright at times with certain recordings the PH6 pads are far more refined / smoother sounding. 

Possible options:

original PH6 pads
+great sound
+very nice supple pleather
- can be uncomfortable due to suppleness and ear contacting the driver grill
- rather expensive

Brainwavz HM5 pads (non memory foam version)
+ inexpensive 
+ very close to the original pads soundwise (to my ears)
+ deeper than stock pads and very comfortable
- slight increase in clamping force (although some may prefer this than the usual loose fit)
- make an already big headphone look even bigger (adds approx. 1.5cm width on each side)

Shure SRH880 pads
Again quite inexpensive, readily available and those who've tried them (I haven't) seem to like them. Possibly a bit shallower than the HM5 pads judging by pics??

I found mine got less bright about 50 hours in - I'll assume you've burned yours in so on to the pad question. The non-memory-foam HM5 pads that jellofund recommended do work well, and in addition to being more comfortable I feel they cut down on the brightness some. That said, I also find that they cut down on the punchiness of the bass, and also result in a very slight decrease in detail, so I think they are more ideal for some music rather than others. For example, when I'm listening to really well produced electronic music like Future Sound of London, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, or even later Nine Inch Nails albums, I prefer the original pads (the soft, not very deep ones). The other day, though I was listening to a lot of classic rock and some classical music and I preferred the HM5 pads.

Anyway, I think they are worth a shot, though there are plenty of options out there. My next step is to find something like the HM5 pads but not quite as deep, I think that would be a good compromise between the comfort of the HM5 without losing the punchiness that I love about the Pandora VI.

As an engineer, I must make a disclaimer that this is all subjective! jello says he can't tell a difference in the sound between the HM5 and the stock pads, so I could just be imagining things.

Nah, I'm inclined to think your ears may just be better than mine! Too many gigs in my younger days mean my hearing isn't exactly A1 so some of the subtleties may be lost on me.

I also listen to a lot of classic / hard rock and acoustic music so possibly any changes caused by the HM5 pads work in my favour and I don't pick up on their 'shortcomings' when I do occasionally listen to electronic music. I did try swapping between pads but it's hard to compare objectively because as you know it takes a bit of time to swap over the pads on the Pandora. Certainly to my ears the HM5 & PH6 pads are in the same ballpark whereas the PH4 pads are in the another town entirely (or possibly another continent), and it does make me wonder why FAD chose not to, or were unable to, develop a deeper pad that retained the basic sound signature.

This is good news, since the Pandora's sound AMAZING out of my MavAudio DAC. Typically if you use a set of cans (or speakers) with lower input impedance than the output impedance of your amp, the increase in current can possibly cause damage to the amplifier. I got this from Benchmark Audio but I can't find a link to the source at the moment. Anyway, I don't know if Ryan's advice is specific to his DAC / Amp or if it might reign true for other DAC / Amp combos because the Pandora VI uses a balanced armature driver instead of a conventional one. This is where we get out of my wheelhouse so if anyone wants to chime in, feel free. Jello recommended the O2 by JDS Labs, and they make a DAC as well and can customize the gain on it to suit your headphones, so they may be worth a try as well.

I just wrote too much text again...

/Ty

I do really enjoy the O2 & ODAC combo. I have the Head n' Hifi built O2 & Epiphany Acoustics ODAC (EDAC as they call it) but I'd expect the JDS Labs equivalents (or Mayflower for that matter) to be identical in terms of performance.

Some places make a combined O2 & ODAC in a single enclosure which is also a nice tidy solution. 

The O2 comes with 2 gain settings. Different companies may use different default gain setting but some will also let you pick your own. I have 1x and 3x on mine. 1x is perfect for the PH6, sensitive IEMs and anything not too demanding, with 3x reserved for more power hungry 'phones.

The O2 / ODAC pairing isn't one I would describe as warm but if the headphones are warm then they will reflect this. I tend to lean towards a slightly warm sound and feel the PH6 gives this to me on its own.

I would urge caution with the Schiit Magni 2 uber. Paired with my ODAC I found it really quite edgy and bright with a number of recordings although it could sound wonderful with others. Also slightly too powerful even at low gain as I felt I didn't have a lot of play on the volume pot before things got too loud. Could just be poor synergy and perhaps paired with a Schiit DAC like the Modi it would have been fine.

I recall Lorspeaker praising the Fiio E18 DAC / amp earlier in this thread, so that might be another option to explore if you are looking for something with a degree of portability.

"I just wrote too much text again..."
Not something I'd ever do 
wink.gif

May 1, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #981 of 2,057
ph0n6, 
I believe amazon applying FIFO strictly, thus it should be IV pads now.
Mine ordered in the end of last year from amazon jp already had IV pads.

IV pads were too sibilant to me.
Original VI pads (low resilient) sounds much better, but bit shallow.
I could bear it for hours, but once I had cup in wrong position (I carried upside down and cups went up), it really hurt my ears.

May 1, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #982 of 2,057
  ph0n6, 
I believe amazon applying FIFO strictly, thus it should be IV pads now.
Mine ordered in the end of last year from amazon jp already had IV pads.

IV pads were too sibilant to me.
Original VI pads (low resilient) sounds much better, but bit shallow.
I could bear it for hours, but once I had cup in wrong position (I carried upside down and cups went up), it really hurt my ears.

I got mine from Amazon JP also... how to tell accurately?

where to get the PH6 pad?

May 1, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #983 of 2,057
You can ask FAD by serial # beneath the left pad.
I bought it from FAD online shop.
http://final-audio-design-directshop.com/final/7.1/FI-EPPA/
They are written in Japanese only, but it is written in Q&A that for overseas shipping to ask them by e-mail.

May 1, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #985 of 2,057
> E-earphone have it also, though the price is pretty ridiculous to me..........

Same price in official shop: low repulsion type FI-EPPADX JPY6200 (46 euro) without shipping fee.
Not much different from that for Senn's HD650.

FYI, the left one is normal (IV) pad, the right low repulsion (original VI) pad. 

May 1, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #986 of 2,057
  > E-earphone have it also, though the price is pretty ridiculous to me..........

Same price in official shop: low repulsion type FI-EPPADX JPY6200 (46 euro) without shipping fee.
Not much different from that for Senn's HD650.

FYI, the left one is normal (IV) pad, the right low repulsion (original VI) pad. 

looks like I have the left side pad... the difference doesn't seem much. 

thanks for sharing this pic and the preceding info. much appreciated. 

May 2, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #987 of 2,057
Difference may not look like much, but the VI pads were very soft and compressible when I auditioned them.

May 2, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #989 of 2,057
Impressive gear list mate :D  How do you rate the PH VI among the stuff you have heard?

Man, my time with the VI was brief and at the end of a full day listening to gear, so my critical listening capacities were extremely fatigued. That said, it impressed me a lot. Much preferred it to the EL8 I listened to on the same day. Impressed me enough that I'll buy it sometime later in the year to give it a longer listen at home (pre-order of the Ether and a pair of CMA800R to monoblock rather blown my audio budget for some time to come).

May 2, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #990 of 2,057
Difference may not look like much, but the VI pads were very soft and compressible when I auditioned them.

Yes, the difference is quite subtle. I've picked up the IV pads before thinking they were the VI pads, and it's only when you have both in front of you that the difference is evident.

Foam density seems to play a bigger part in how the Hope VI sound rather than pad depth.

I'll try and measure the depth over the weekend as that may help folks figure out which they have. Although how they sound is probably the biggest giveaway: smooth, mildly warm and (fairly) balanced across the board = VI pads / boosted lows & highs (v shaped) with edgy /raw sound = IV pads...at least as I hear 'em.

As an engineer, I must make a disclaimer that this is all subjective! jello says he can't tell a difference in the sound between the HM5 and the stock pads, so I could just be imagining things.

Nah, I'm inclined to think your ears may just be better than mine! Too many gigs in my younger days mean my hearing isn't exactly A1 so some of the subtleties may be lost on me.

I also listen to a lot of classic / hard rock and acoustic music so possibly any changes caused by the HM5 pads work in my favour and I don't pick up on their 'shortcomings' when I do occasionally listen to electronic music. I did try swapping between pads but it's hard to compare objectively because as you know it takes a bit of time to swap over the pads on the Pandora. Certainly to my ears the HM5 & PH6 pads are in the same ballpark whereas the PH4 pads are in the another town entirely (or possibly another continent), and it does make me wonder why FAD chose not to, or were unable to, develop a deeper pad that retained the basic sound signature.

Haven't used my PH6 in the last couple of weeks (been enjoying some new IEMs). Dug them out today which reminded me that since posting my initial impressions on the HM5 pad I did apply some additional 'padding' under the rear of the pads to slightly angle them. Similar to what Lorspeaker has done here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/658673/yamaha-hph-mt220-thread-merged/855#post_11560503

He uses some rolled up cotton gauze whereas I use 3 cotton dental rolls (1cm diameter x 3.8cm long) placed end-to-end, running anti-clockwise between 12 & 6 o'clock. I prefer the rolls as I found the gauze I initially used had a habit of shedding and unravelling.  Rolled up kitchen towel also works.

Doing a back & forth comparison I think the angling helps add a touch more width, air and treble sparkle and perhaps also slightly improves the imaging (which is great to start with). 
ymmv etc. but it's a 30 second mod and completely reversible so might be worth a try 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back