Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Aug 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #736 of 2,057
Hi, add me to the list of those currently enduring pain while enjoying these wonderful sounding headphones. I think I'll try some cotton before I try different pads. Stuffing cotton in the pads of my ATH-W5000 really changed their voicing, but I liked the change. I'm surprised to see so many PH6 in the classifieds, I guess it's the fit problem.

I have other headphone that also causes pain because of the same issue, Stax sr 207. If happened that i am in the mood of listening to the sound i workaround it by putting a tape in small area of my ear where it touches the driver. Sounds silly but that's the fastest way to work around it without changing any of its sound or modding the headphone.
But still, of course they still cant be my favorite for long term listening.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #737 of 2,057
On the other hand, the IV is open, alive, detailed and exciting. Sounds like the VI is the IV with a filter put in front of the drivers.

Is it? I saw the iv but i didnt bother to put it on because i thought vi is better anyway.
I will give it a try next time.
When you meant clearer did you mean that iv is brighter than vi?

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #738 of 2,057

hmm, now I want to buy them again. You are bad for my wallet :D

Sorry about that. Been there! I will never sell mine...
beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #739 of 2,057
Had been reading the thread (still didn't went through all pages reading it all slowly), I'm still confused, is it v-shaped or balanced/flat-ish? Seems like a hit for the price and I'm looking for a top tier closed hp (or near top tier, but it seems there aren't many flat sounding options :/ )

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #740 of 2,057
Sonically balanced over the spectrum. No sibilance, no boomy bass. No over rich thick mids.
Bass seem to sound out from a depth..a deeper source.

Two other good balanced closed cans to check out..dt150 if u like orchestras..
Yamaha mt220 if u like life stage bands.

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #741 of 2,057
Just a question Beagle, are the Pandora IV very bright at all? I tend to be a bit wary of Dales description myself. I'm considering trying out one of the two cans but my dealer does not provide the IV. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #742 of 2,057
Is it? I saw the iv but i didnt bother to put it on because i thought vi is better anyway.
I will give it a try next time.
When you meant clearer did you mean that iv is brighter than vi?

Just a question Beagle, are the Pandora IV very bright at all? I tend to be a bit wary of Dales description myself. I'm considering trying out one of the two cans but my dealer does not provide the IV.

Definitely more open and exciting, yes, bright would be the word for a lot of folks. Maybe closer to a Grado sound, when you consider that the bass range is very transparent, detailed and open, not just the upper midrange and top.....you can "see" right into the bass area, which goes quite deep. Or if you want, the VI is like an RS-1 with flat pads, the IV an RS-1 w/bowls. If you like listening at a low to moderate volume, the IV might be just what the doctor ordered. The VI is like a tamed version of the IV. On the other hand, I would hate to part with either the IV or the VI....they each do their own thing well........which is why I am on this constant headphone merry-go-round
blink.gif

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #743 of 2,057
Sonically balanced over the spectrum. No sibilance, no boomy bass. No over rich thick mids.
Bass seem to sound out from a depth..a deeper source.

Two other good balanced closed cans to check out..dt150 if u like orchestras..
Yamaha mt220 if u like life stage bands.

Seems perfect. Was looking at the Focal Spirit Pro but the headband cracking scares me enough to avoid it plus I wanted something more on the top tier side.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #744 of 2,057
Definitely more open and exciting, yes, bright would be the word for a lot of folks. Maybe closer to a Grado sound, when you consider that the bass range is very transparent, detailed and open, not just the upper midrange and top.....you can "see" right into the bass area, which goes quite deep. Or if you want, the VI is like an RS-1 with flat pads, the IV an RS-1 w/bowls. If you like listening at a low to moderate volume, the IV might be just what the doctor ordered. The VI is like a tamed version of the IV. On the other hand, I would hate to part with either the IV or the VI....they each do their own thing well........which is why I am on this constant headphone merry-go-round :blink:

Hmm, Grado sound ... sounds quite bright. I think the padding looks the same which means also touching my ear, right?

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #745 of 2,057
Is the Pandora IV the long-awaited sealed Grado?

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #746 of 2,057
dun think so.... it isnt bright bright. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #748 of 2,057
Hmm, Grado sound ... sounds quite bright. I think the padding looks the same which means also touching my ear, right?

If the pads are the same, I would assume as much, but maybe the pads are different?

The pads and the fit look and feel to be pretty much identical, but the IV pads seem to be a little thicker (and deeper) when I wear them. Extra weight and clamping may be playing into it. I am wondering if reducing the clamping force might keep your ear from touching. They may be touching mine but it's hard to really tell....it certainly isn't bothersome.

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #749 of 2,057
Sorry, I haven't read through this whole thread to find the answer to this. What's the clamping force like on these?

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #750 of 2,057
  Sorry, I haven't read through this whole thread to find the answer to this. What's the clamping force like on these?

It is quite light for me. I even had to bend the metal band so the ear cups were closer for better sealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back