Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Jun 15, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #633 of 2,057
Tragically, there is an outside chance I may be putting these up on the auction block. :O

I picked up the SE846 and while, no, they are not able to deliver the kind of sound the Pandoras do, they come exceptionally close in a package I can stick in my pocket, which is more than a little important to me. 

Not decided yet, gonna give it a week, but if so keep an eye out!

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #634 of 2,057
I fought the very same mental battle with the PHVI & SE846... was convinced for a couple days that I didn't need the Pandora with the Shure around... but wound up listening to it a couple more nights and came to realize how wonderful the PHVI sounds while being closed back. I wound up selling the SE846 instead (mainly because I am now appreciating the Dita Answer as my main IEM currently). 

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #635 of 2,057
  I fought the very same mental battle with the PHVI & SE846... was convinced for a couple days that I didn't need the Pandora with the Shure around... but wound up listening to it a couple more nights and came to realize how wonderful the PHVI sounds while being closed back. I wound up selling the SE846 instead (mainly because I am now appreciating the Dita Answer as my main IEM currently). 

That's what we're gonna find out. I think if I did more "desk time" I'd be pandora all the way, but with the way I work I'm constantly moving from spot to spot, sometimes doing a few hours of work late at night in bed, with my glasses on, and IEMs are more convenient in that scenario.

They don't take out the PH6 overall, I'm STILL calling the PH6 the best personal audio product I've encountered (though I'm holding out hope for others), it's turning into a question of how much I'll find myself swapping them in.

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #636 of 2,057
Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sonically, they (the aftermarket pads) messed things up for me.

Once again impressed with how much influence pads have on sound. I've tried the EDT770S pads two times now and like you, took them off owsofast. There's just music playing with these ones. Magic gone. A big chunk is right there in the stock pads in my opinion.

+1 for ease of pad swapping. Almost a pleasure.

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #637 of 2,057

Once again impressed with how much influence pads have on sound. I've tried the EDT770S pads two times now and like you, took them off owsofast. There's just music playing with these ones. Magic gone. A big chunk is right there in the stock pads in my opinion.

+1 for ease of pad swapping. Almost a pleasure.

Yes, unfortunately I have to also agree with fzman and moriez. The PHVI does sound more magical with the stock pads. I say unfortunate because these pad can become a bit fatiguing on my ears after a while, but the upgrade in sound is worth it. And it doesn't sound bad with the other pads, but you do get the best performance with the stock pads. The trick is finding the right way to wear the stock pads. What I do is kind of wear with half the padded part on the back earlobe. That seems to work out fine for me.

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #638 of 2,057
since i bot this can, i took it out only twice for a listen...lolz.(criminal)
Loads of iems from erip's recommendation..850/tenore/havi..
this hobby is driving me nuts$$$.

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #639 of 2,057
  since i bot this can, i took it out only twice for a listen...lolz.(criminal)
Loads of iems from erip's recommendation..850/tenore/havi..
this hobby is driving me nuts$$$.

That is criminal Lorspeaker...lol 

Actually, to be honest, this is my favorite phone (headphone or earphone) out of everything I own. The sound signature fits me to a T!!!

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #640 of 2,057
Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoy listening to the other sound signatures.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #641 of 2,057
I just received the new pad replacement. I believe they are pandora IV pads.

before: my dying fad pandora vi

the problem: I really don't know what caused this. I guess I just got a defective pad. the pad locking mechanism simply falling apart.

the new pad: the pandora hope iv pad are perfect for the vi. they are firmer and has more depth for extra space to my ear. they give extra clamp but still comfortable to wear for hours. just hoping that they will not fall apart like my old pad.

as for sound there is nothing much different to the original pad. I believe it give more rumble to the low bass. stage get slightly bigger. the vocal goes back a little bit. but still with tons of detail present.

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #642 of 2,057
I spent my last new year vacation in Japan. And as a Head-Fier, you can't miss the chance to visit Yodobashi electronic store and explore its huge headphones department (Too bad Fujiya Avic was closed during new year fest :frown: ). After spending several hours trying different cans in Yodobashi, Osaka, I still couldn't decide what to buy. My finalists were, Shure SRH1540, Denon D7100, Fostex TH600/TH900, and Sennheiser HD700 (I know they belong to different price ranges but all cheaper than those in my country). when I was about to decide between HD700 and TH900 , I saw a pair of Pandora Hope VI in the showcase with new arrival tag. And without a thought I told a sales guy "I want to try this!!". after 15 mins of listening, i ended up buying it.

I'm not telling you that the PH6 sounds better than the HD700 and TH900 but it gives me the sound I like the most. It provides a very mature sound without a major drawback. the bass, treble, soundstage. Everything sounds just right to my ears. It's really worth giving a try. :wink:

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #643 of 2,057
  I just received the new pad replacement. I believe they are pandora IV pads.

before: my dying fad pandora vi

the problem: I really don't know what caused this. I guess I just got a defective pad. the pad locking mechanism simply falling apart.

the new pad: the pandora hope iv pad are perfect for the vi. they are firmer and has more depth for extra space to my ear. they give extra clamp but still comfortable to wear for hours. just hoping that they will not fall apart like my old pad.

as for sound there is nothing much different to the original pad. I believe it give more rumble to the low bass. stage get slightly bigger. the vocal goes back a little bit. but still with tons of detail present.

Cool, may I know how much do you pay for the pad?

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #644 of 2,057
I bought the hope vi from local jaben. so the pads are free since since it still under warranty.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #645 of 2,057
I spent my last new year vacation in Japan. And as a Head-Fier, you can't miss the chance to visit Yodobashi electronic store and explore its huge headphones department (Too bad Fujiya Avic was closed during new year fest
frown.gif
). After spending several hours trying different cans in Yodobashi, Osaka, I still couldn't decide what to buy. My finalists were, Shure SRH1540, Denon D7100, Fostex TH600/TH900, and Sennheiser HD700 (I know they belong to different price ranges but all cheaper than those in my country). when I was about to decide between HD700 and TH900 , I saw a pair of Pandora Hope VI in the showcase with new arrival tag. And without a thought I told a sales guy "I want to try this!!". after 15 mins of listening, i ended up buying it.

I'm not telling you that the PH6 sounds better than the HD700 and TH900 but it gives me the sound I like the most. It provides a very mature sound without a major drawback. the bass, treble, soundstage. Everything sounds just right to my ears. It's really worth giving a try.
wink.gif

i liked the VI almost immediately too :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back