Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI (interesting dynamic + BA full size headphones)
Sep 1, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,231 of 2,057
Welcome to the club (and a real headphone
evil_smiley.gif
) Enjoy!

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,233 of 2,057
Did you get the Pandora Hope VI or Sonorous VI version?

Does anyone know if there is anything different between these cans(other than the name change?)

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #1,234 of 2,057
Did you get the Pandora Hope VI or Sonorous VI version?

Pandora Hope VI, although I believe there is no difference apart from the name.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,235 of 2,057
I bought the Pandora Hope VI last year. It took about 50 hours to break in. I just received the Sonorous VI and it is almost unlistenable out of the box. Hopefully, the Sonorous VI will break in and sound like the Hope VI. Right now the Sonorous VI has harsh highs, sucked out mids and weak bass and mid bass. It is also less sensitive than the Hope VI. Hopefully, the Sonorous will break in and sound the same as the Hope VI. If not, then Final has done something detrimental to the design or construction of the Sonorous VI.

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,236 of 2,057
Pandora Hope VI, although I believe there is no difference apart from the name.

That's my understanding too and this comment from Final US seems to support this:

"The Pandora series of headphones is undergoing a name change to prevent any confusion that it is affiliated with Pandora Radio.  The Pandora IV and VI have changed their name to Sonorous IV and VI." 

Quote:
I bought the Pandora Hope VI last year. It took about 50 hours to break in. I just received the Sonorous VI and it is almost unlistenable out of the box. Hopefully, the Sonorous VI will break in and sound like the Hope VI. Right now the Sonorous VI has harsh highs, sucked out mids and weak bass and mid bass. It is also less sensitive than the Hope VI. Hopefully, the Sonorous will break in and sound the same as the Hope VI. If not, then Final has done something detrimental to the design or construction of the Sonorous VI.

Same pads on the new pair?

Out of interest did Final keep the same funky fur lined box for the Sonorous?

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,237 of 2,057
The Sonorous VI appear to have a thinner earpad than the Pandora VI. The Sonoroous VI comes in a cardboard carton without the fancy fur lined box of the Pandora Hope Vi. I hope there are no more cost cutting measures for the Sonorous versus the Pandora.

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,238 of 2,057
Hmmm, that's interesting.  I was expecting you to say that the pads were either identical or that it was your Pandora that had the shallower pads.

With my Pandora it's the deeper (type A) of the two pad types that I find sounds borderline unbearable. Harsh highs and sucked out mids.

Hopefully it is just a case of the Sonorous needing a few hours on the clock to settle down. If not it would be interesting to see if you experienced the same thing with the Sonorous pads on your Pandora.

That's a shame about the box but in many cases it probably just ends up in a cupboard anyway. If it (hopefully) means a lower retail price then the use of a less swish carton wouldn't be such a bad thing I guess.

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #1,239 of 2,057
I use the Pandoras on my rockboxed clip+. Do you think it's worth investing in a better DAP or (portable) headphone amp? I mean I already reach a comfortable volume level at -25 dB and the clip has an output impedance below 1. Is there even enough room for improvements to justify up to 400 € for better gear?

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #1,240 of 2,057
  I use the Pandoras on my rockboxed clip+. Do you think it's worth investing in a better DAP or (portable) headphone amp? I mean I already reach a comfortable volume level at -25 dB and the clip has an output impedance below 1. Is there even enough room for improvements to justify up to 400 € for better gear?

No, save your money for something more useful.  They Hope VI's are very easy to drive and you are very unlikely to hear a difference using a more expensive amp.

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #1,242 of 2,057
A vs B is vaguely interesting, but seriously, just buy the Shure 1540 pads and be done with it.
They sound as good as the shallow FAD pads and are way more comfortable than any of the other four pad types that I tested.

Which were the other pads you tested?

Appreciate it might not be all that interesting to someone already sitting with 1540 pads. However, the A vs B discussion is helpful if folks want to identify what pads they currently have and how the two differ. 

If someone has the type A and is unhappy with how they sound then I can definitely see a case for 'just buying' the 1540 pads as they look like they are a very good alternative to the type B (same or  similar sound but  w/ > comfort), although I have heard it suggested they may reduce the bass slightly and remove a touch of richness and those are areas I really wouldn't want any compromises. However, if someone already has the type B (flatter pads) then I guess the 1540 pads only become compelling if comfort is a major issue. For me the comfort is fine so no desperate need to replace them, but when the time does eventually come then the 1540 pads will definitely get some serious consideration 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a little unclear on which are the a or b pads?
A: Thicker pads?
B: Thinner pads?

edit: Hifiheadphones have low profile and deep profile pads but the photos usefully look identical!

I'm pretty sure I have the thinner pads which results in them being fairly uncomfortable. The hard plastic ridges around the drivers dig into my ears.
I tried my old dt 770 pads which are more comfortable but I don't like what they do to the sound. They are a little soft and well in need of replacing themselves so depending on positioning my ears still graze the plastic a little.

Are the 1540 pads the best for anyone who is having comfort issues? Anyone know where to get them in the UK? They are out of stock on amazon.

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #1,243 of 2,057

I'm a little unclear on which are the a or b pads?
A: Thicker pads?
B: Thinner pads?

edit: Hifiheadphones have low profile and deep profile pads but the photos usefully look identical!

I'm pretty sure I have the thinner pads which results in them being fairly uncomfortable. The hard plastic ridges around the drivers dig into my ears.
I tried my old dt 770 pads which are more comfortable but I don't like what they do to the sound. They are a little soft and well in need of replacing themselves so depending on positioning my ears still graze the plastic a little.

Are the 1540 pads the best for anyone who is having comfort issues? Anyone know where to get them in the UK? They are out of stock on amazon.

Type B = shallower pads. often referred to as low repulsion. The pads that Final originally used on the Hope VI (6).

Type A = deeper pads. Stock Hope 4 pad but later also supplied with the Hope 6.

Visually you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference unless you had the two side by side. Both result in the hard plastic grill making some contact with the ear, at least in my case, but with the shallower pads the amount of contact is far more noticeable so I suspect that Is what you have. Final US posted the depth of the two pads a few pages back I think so that would be your best bet for a definitive answer though.

I've been after 1540 pads off and on over the last year to try with various headphones and they're not easy to find. Amazon UK haven't stocked them for a while, Amazon.com won't ship to them to the UK for some reason and whilst easy enough to source from the US shipping and potential import costs make them way too expensive for me.

I've trawled various online stores in the UK/EU and nobody seems to stock them, even the bigger players like Thomann. My latest attempt I tried Shure UK and whilst they can supply them they have a minimum delivery charge of £15 (rrp of the pads is £35)! The Shure rep I spoke with suggested I try Hifiheadphones as they could probably order me some in and it'd likely work out cheaper than buying direct. Gave them a try and was told they'd add some to the next order so to call back in a few days to check. Did so but the guy was always unavailable and his colleagues couldn't help. Eventually got a call back saying they hadn't come in so they'd chase up the order and get back to me....that was about 2 1/2 weeks back and since then not a peep..given up on them now.

So...erm it's difficult to get them in the UK is I guess the moral of the story :wink: Have had good experiences with Custom Cable, aka Unilet, the past so may see if they can source some.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #1,244 of 2,057
Thanks for all the detail, looks like they'll be a challenge to get hold of then! If even the bigger final audio pads cause your ears to make contact with the grill then I the 1540's are probably what I need for my apparently mutant sized ears :) 
£15 for delivery is extortion unless they are the worlds heaviest headphone pads. Import duty plus probably an extra tenner for courier admin fees may add up to the same or more though. I just had a quick look on amazon.co.jp(out of stock) and rakuten($60) to see if it's worth adding them to a tenso delivery I'll be paying admin fees on anyway but it appears not.

I spoke to Richer Sounds and they said they may be able to do a spares order but usually they take 4-6 weeks to come in. I'll give hifi headphones a go although it appears their customer service may be a bit lacking. I'll let you know how I get on.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,245 of 2,057
That's not a problem.

I don't want to seem too down on Hifiheadphones as the guys are usually very helpful and amiable. Think I just caught them at a busy period if I'm honest and it may be the delay was at Shure's end. 

I actually just got an offer accepted on a new pair listed by a US ebay'er. He only had the one pair and I suspect they were the spare set that came with his 1540. Worked out around £33 ($50 USD) all in with no extra import charges on delivery, as it's being set through ebay's global shipping programme.

If I see any others up for sale at a decent price I'll give you a shout - good luck! :)

Edit: meant to add that in addition to a difference in respective pad depths the type A & B pads also sound completely different to my ears. I'd go as far as saying I love type B but loathe type A (comfort aside). Others may have a different preference but I don't think many who've tried would disagree that pads hugely influence how the Pandora sounds.

Assuming you have the shallower pads (type B) then I think, from the impressions I've read including Orangutan's, that the Shure pads will get you far closer to the sound you currently enjoy tbut with the improved comfort you are hoping for.

If you are particularly keen on trying the type A pads then I'd be willing to sell you my  lightly used pair (< 1 hour use) at a very low price but personally I wouldn't bother. I suspect you would find them no better than your Beyers, certainly in terms of comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back