Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Jul 15, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #736 of 812
I'm looking forward to how the comparison goes, I know I'll be buying a Vibro at some point unless I start hearing some horrible reviews, which I highly doubt will happen.

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #737 of 812
Ive got many many miles on my basics now and I absolutely love them.
The obvious upgrade from here for me is the zmf master model, though I am admittedly curious on the he-400. I'll have to decide when the moment comes. I'll probably just keep it zmf these are so damn smooth.

I'm the type of person who loves quality audio but still has a hard time justifying the expense even when I have the flow. And if I spend hundreds of dollars and am disappointed I'm not afraid to express it... These things are a home run.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #739 of 812
I purchased Grizzly's Master V.1, and love them. Really great sound and overall balance, and surprisingly comfortable. I have several other sets of nice 'phones and prefer these to my NAD, Fidelio X1, and V-Moda M100 and XS.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #740 of 812
The vibro will sound less open as it doesn't sound like an open hp.
Can anyone speak to how the ZMF x Vibro sound compared to the HD 650?

The v.1 will be more detailed, less midbass hump, less bass, more bass extension, better instrument separation/imaging, less veiled. The vibro is even more refined than the v1, less grainy, bigger soundstage, stronger bass than both or at least right there with hd650, better timbre, smoother sound. The hd650 needs a reallllly good amp to best it and unfortunately I haven't heard it on any such amp. I prefer the vibro to the 650 crack/spdbl. I do love both hp's however, as the hd650 makes the drums snap/pop and the kicks cut through the mix. The hd650 midrange balance is definitely reference and the zxv is right there with it. Most planars struggle with being weighty and punchy but the vibro steps up to bat but I'm not sure or don't recall if it's kick drums can match the hd650(faulty memory here). I have a hard time keeping it short but, If one likes the hd650 then it would be really weird for them not to like the vibro. They both would be in the musical/lush category of hp's, along with the lcd2.

I purchased Grizzly's Master V.1, and love them. Really great sound and overall balance, and surprisingly comfortable. I have several other sets of nice 'phones and prefer these to my NAD, Fidelio X1, and V-Moda M100 and XS.
:wink:

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #741 of 812

The 1540 pads are a little cleaner sounding on the top and bottom, brighter especially in the upper mids/lower treble.  Also easier to apply to the t50rp, and replace or pad swap if needed.

Does this mean more sibilance with the 1540 pads?
How does the sound with 1540 pads differ from ZMF with DT 150 pads?

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #743 of 812
^ no amount of pad swapping would give you anything approaching sibilants on a ZMF can.

Unless you're very sensitive to it like I do....
The only headphone that handles sibilance to my likings that I heard so far are the HD650. Too bad they are open and uncomfortable.
The ZMF has more sibilance, especially with the DT150 pads. But those pads are on the other hand quite comfortable compared to others I tried like the Mr Speakers Dog and Alpha pads.

Sigh....sometimes I hate this hobby.

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #744 of 812
Unless you're very sensitive to it like I do....
The only headphone that handles sibilance to my likings that I heard so far are the HD650. Too bad they are open and uncomfortable.
The ZMF has more sibilance, especially with the DT150 pads. But those pads are on the other hand quite comfortable compared to others I tried like the Mr Speakers Dog and Alpha pads.

Sigh....sometimes I hate this hobby.

Sorry to Hear that : (

The ZMF are pretty dark... If you thought they were sibilant maybe Audeze is the name of the game for you? In terms of pads I thought all the pads you listed were quite comfortable, but YMMV.

Try a vibro, they're even darker than the V1&2

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #745 of 812

Does this mean more sibilance with the 1540 pads?
How does the sound with 1540 pads differ from ZMF with DT 150 pads?

IIRC I think both pads are similar in the amount of upper mids/treble rendering.  On any t50rp you can bring down that sibilance area by cutting a square from a roll of fiberglass and placing an equal amount on both sides in front of the driver on the side facing the ear.  Play with the amount and find a "sweet spot" for how much or little treble/sibilant area frequency you want.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 19, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #747 of 812
Zach, is there any way for someone living in the San Francisco Bay Area to audition the ZMFxVibro before buying them?

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #748 of 812
Zach, is there any way for someone living in the San Francisco Bay Area to audition the ZMFxVibro before buying them?

If you can come up with an excuse to be in Nashville on September 20th, we'll have a set there to listen to! :p

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #749 of 812
Ok, you got me interested in the Vibros. Can't wait for comparisons to LCD-2 and other (Shure 1540, anybody?)

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #750 of 812
I am wondering if the vibro has a larger sound than the AlphaDogs. .
I realise the increase in bass will already give it a larger sound but I am wondering about soundstage as the AlphaDogs cups may be deeper.

Also of note is that I herd the AlphaDogs 3 times (different loaners versions) in a member house and they never sounded better than the display Mr Speaker sets up in meets.
I account that to the equipment and the "binaural" source files he uses to make the AlphaDogs sound even more expansive. .

I mention that because members who compare would mistakenly think those have a larger stage.

So I am assuming the Vibro would have a more energetic sound yet similar soundstage and so what about the details??

Edit:
Dam the silence is deafening looks like I will have to find out myself.. :wink:
Maybe that's the wrong can to compare. .
Maybe the vibro is more like an lcd2??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back