Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
May 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #706 of 812
How do the Shure pads sound compared to the hm5 pads on the v1?

May 30, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #708 of 812
this wont answer your question and excuse my enthusiasm but the shure 1540 pads are the best pads ever made under 75 bucks!

my opinion again!

They do seem super comfortable. I was thinking about getting these for my zmf but then I saw that there was going to be a line of zmf earpads so I'll be impatiently waiting for that. :D

May 30, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #709 of 812
I'm tempted to break down and buy either the wood shelled or reprinted ZMF as I've been wishing I had a pair that sounded good and isn't as open as a hd700 or he400, but I should at least wait until the new pads are out before considering. Or just be happy I got a sennheiser momentum on ear new for 80...

May 31, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #710 of 812
The fella that won a set of ZMF v1s at the Music City Meet posted his impressions recently, if anyone is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/718363/music-city-meet-nashville-2014-pictures-and-impressions-thread/15#post_10594785

He's a pretty awesome dude and a definite Grado fan, and in my opinion, he's got pretty solid tastes! Give it a read if you have a moment :wink:

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #711 of 812
The fella that won a set of ZMF v1s at the Music City Meet posted his impressions recently, if anyone is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/718363/music-city-meet-nashville-2014-pictures-and-impressions-thread/15#post_10594785

He's a pretty awesome dude and a definite Grado fan, and in my opinion, he's got pretty solid tastes! Give it a read if you have a moment
wink.gif

Awww thanks man. You're makin' me blush!

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #712 of 812
If anyone is interested I have my master model fs at a very low price. The zxv def took over. After spending time with them there is absolutely no doubt which is better.

I prefer it to every closed back I have had so far(insert long list here).

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #713 of 812
Back from Chiunifi (Chicago meet) and the Vibro was in my top two of the show (tied with HifiMan 400i) at a really competitive deal now that's it's priced in the $500 range! Beats the alpha dogs in my book. Sounded great out of both the Ray Samuels raptor and the Audio-gd. Excited to hear about Zach working on his new cans, and always great to talk to a fellow musician! (and Zach is a great guy)

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #714 of 812
Back from Chiunifi (Chicago meet) and the Vibro was in my top two of the show (tied with HifiMan 400i) at a really competitive deal now that's it's priced in the $500 range! Beats the alpha dogs in my book. Sounded great out of both the Ray Samuels raptor and the Audio-gd. Excited to hear about Zach working on his new cans, and always great to talk to a fellow musician! (and Zach is a great guy)

Can you elaborate a little on how the Alpha dogs and Vibro differ?

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #715 of 812
They go for completely different sound signatures. The Vibros are fun, rather bassy, have some woodie magic in the mids, and their treble kind of rolls off. The Alphas sound wider, a little airier, and generally aim for neutrality. The one thing I never warmed up to the Alphas is a strange plasticky reverberation that I heard in the regular cupped T50RP mods, but a little bit worse. They're more complementary than competitive.

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #716 of 812
+1 to what Ishcabible said. The alphas were nice technically, but they just seemed a little plasticky and kind of analytical sounding.
The ZMFs aren't neutral but they have magical Mids, wetter sound.

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #717 of 812
I've been thinking of getting a pair of Vibros, aiming for something mainly fun but also passable with classical music. Does anyone have any experience with these and classical? I know with the dowels in, it's supposed to be more towards neutral, but I certainly don't expect actual neutrality. My current closed can is an on ear momentum, which I got for a steal. I feels pretty bassy, and haven't given it a chance at classical. I'll remedy that today.

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #718 of 812
I tried the Vibro with classical and it works especially on older recordings. Highs are a little rolled, but most classical music doesn't have crazy high stuff anyways. Even piccolos and percussion sound good on the vibros.

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #719 of 812
I tried the Vibro with classical and it works especially on older recordings. Highs are a little rolled, but most classical music doesn't have crazy high stuff anyways. Even piccolos and percussion sound good on the vibros.

The Alpha Dog can be a totally different HP with a recable....the Canare cable can be bettered easily, Dan has a splice at the Y split, not good.  I am currently using Type 4 Litz pure copper, and they sound much different than the stock cable offering.  Zach and I have discussed different wires through email, and he offers many different options that can make a difference!

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #720 of 812
The oldest recording would be an old Rachmaninov, which I never liked the sound of on my Ety HF5. I love my open cans and don't need isolation at home, but certainly wouldn't mind trying a new sound and would use the hell out of these walking the dog if I got them. I almost wonder if they'd replace my open cans at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back