Quote:

Originally Posted by ckghagen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My zero dac does not work

I have a simple multimeter
and soldering station
NOTE no Oscilloscope

This I know
There is digital signal in but i get no sound out of the zero
The dac seems to detect the coax signal (red led lights up) when a signal from my soundcard i start

All transistors/voltage regulators has the right voltage as far as i know
Nothing looks broken, burnt, loose
no leaking or swollen caps

Actually, the red light is optical, blue coax and green USB. Push the Input button until the light goes blue (I assume you are using COAX). If no luck, fiddle around with the Preamp section. If you are using your headphones straight from the Zero's headphone out, press the Pre amp button and turn the volume up to the volume which is comfortable for you. If you are just using it as a DAC to another amplifier, then turn off that Preamp function.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get a debit card from your bank.

The Audioengine A5 would be my other option.

I am going to get something like that soon, after my birthday in a few weeks. My pick would be to go back to the AV 40 if I dislike these ESI nEar 05 monitors. I should be able to sell them for a reasonable profit, considering they usually sell for $400 brand new here.

May 2, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #9,167 of 9,388
Quote:

what are some better bookshelf speaker than some klipsch Rb51's,, they sound great but i need a bit more punch,,,,, amp is probably part of it but none the less others can punch harder??

also here a good one ,,,, zero or dr. dac or nuforce hdp also isnt there a dac1 overature,, i worry there are copy's of these out there ...and will the STock Zero suffice, or must one roll opamps?

thanks

May 3, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #9,169 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoltan99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody played any games with the Zero? Im not expecting much, but how do basic games sound like Counter Strike.

I use it with my Xbox, and I play competitive Halo along with some other casual games. It works extremely well.

May 11, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #9,170 of 9,388
Sorry is this has been asked already, but how would you compare a zero dac 2009 with upgraded opamps to a FUN audio-gd amp/dac?
I know they have different prices, but audio gd has just released the sparrow headphon amp/dac, wich costs about like the zero dac. It has the same sound of the fun dac. I asked about the fun dac because i guess no one has tried the sparrow yet.

May 11, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #9,171 of 9,388
Even the Sparrow will surely be far better than the Zero.  The Compass was considerably better than the Zero, and the ACSS Fun is quite a bit better than the Compass.  The purpose of getting Audio-gd to make the Compass in the first place was so that people would have an alternative to the unreliable and poorly-made Zero. 
smile.gif

May 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #9,172 of 9,388
Was the compass the old version of the c2? Because i can't find anything for about the same price of the zero dac, with rca outputs, except the sparrow, wich is not good if you have speaker monitors too.

May 13, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #9,173 of 9,388
The Compass was the predecessor to the Fun.  It was sold at cost ($260) initially, while the "fully upgraded" Zero was about $220.  

May 28, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #9,174 of 9,388
Way back in the first post, Penchum mentions this thing picking up interfearence from wifi, does anyone have any details over this?  Giving up Wifi on my desktop wouldn't be easy.  Also, I see some rumblings that the Audio gd Sparrow is better than it at a similar price point, does this hold true when used as an Amp/DAC combo?

Jun 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #9,175 of 9,388
[size=x-small]Hi guys..[/size]
[size=x-small]My zero developed problem .[/size]
[size=x-small]Im running optical from cd player and there was no problem until last night .There is only little sound coming from dac ,very low volume.[/size]
[size=x-small]I,ve changed opamps but its still the same.[/size]
[size=x-small]I wonder if you guys come across same problem.[/size]
[size=x-small]thanks in Advance.[/size]
[size=x-small]regards[/size]

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #9,176 of 9,388

Quote:
Quote:

what are some better bookshelf speaker than some klipsch Rb51's,, they sound great but i need a bit more punch,,,,, amp is probably part of it but none the less others can punch harder??

also here a good one ,,,, zero or dr. dac or nuforce hdp also isnt there a dac1 overature,, i worry there are copy's of these out there ...and will the STock Zero suffice, or must one roll opamps?

thanks

If you don't mind a little DIY this kit from partsexpress.com is very very good for the price.  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-640

Peete.

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #9,179 of 9,388
Your questions are answered in the previous pages: Y E S.
Get the 2009 version and pop ADA4627-1BR in the amp and DAC sections then kick back and love your music.

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #9,180 of 9,388
My Zero is an OK device, but the Gain is wrong for my headphones, This is my work set up. Its the "09" version and it has too much gain for my Sennheiser HD 485 a high efficiency low resistance at 32 Ohm headphones 110dB, this is particularly annoying as the range on the volume control tracks especially badly.

I have to adjust the gain should we make a Wiki pages from this thread? Its to big to read in complete.

I imagined their has been come posts on this subject in this thread, 

I imagine setting the op-amps gain is trivial, and will only take two resistors per channel has anyone done this and what did they do? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back