Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Apr 26, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #9,152 of 9,388
More like double that when bought brand new off a reputable seller, add postage and convert usd to aud
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #9,153 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More like double that when bought brand new off a reputable seller, add postage and convert usd to aud
biggrin.gif

mate what's up, been a while anything new i need to know about in your audio quest
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #9,154 of 9,388
tongue.gif
Well I splurged $260 on M-Audio AV 40 speakers, 5M of copper 16AWG wiring and a 3M 3.5mm to RCA cable
biggrin.gif
I don't think I will be able to get a really good DAC for a while. I am still trying to figure out if I should still hook up the AV 40 speakers via the hp out of my onboard sound card or to buy another DAC. Probably won't use the speakers all that much, so might as well just run it off my onboard audio. I wish the Zero had two RCA out...

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #9,155 of 9,388
Quote:

tongue.gif
Well I splurged $260 on M-Audio AV 40 speakers, 5M of copper 16AWG wiring and a 3M 3.5mm to RCA cable
biggrin.gif
I don't think I will be able to get a really good DAC for a while. I am still trying to figure out if I should still hook up the AV 40 speakers via the hp out of my onboard sound card or to buy another DAC. Probably won't use the speakers all that much, so might as well just run it off my onboard audio. I wish the Zero had two RCA out...

The speakers are really nice mate, as per the review, what do they sound like
smily_headphones1.gif
, I would stay away from speakers for a while
atsmile.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #9,156 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First post on the forum, but here we go
smily_headphones1.gif

So after having read a lot about the zero dac on this forum and also having listened to it at one of my friends house, I finally decided to buy it. The unit looks good and when it plays, it plays really well, except for the sound to be a little unbalanced L/R at low levels. However I have come across a problem which I cannot find help on fixing anywhere.

I use the zero on my pc (with a creative SB X-Fi card) to double as a headphone amp for my Denon AH-D2000's and a preamp for my stereo amplifier. The zero I have received is the 2009 model (with USB) and has been upgraded with the OPA627 opamps.

As until last week I have been using the "Speakers" setting in the windows 7 "sound" control panel, which has been working fine (and still is). However when I got my Denon's last week I noticed the option to set "SPDIF Out" in the "sound" options to "set as default device". I immediately heard an improvement in sound quality and therefore naturally wish to keep using this setting. However this is where the problem is.

When running the zero with the SPDIF out set as "default device" I hear a short, but loud, static "click" every time I start a music file on my computer, also when there is silence between individual songs in a playlist, and also when opening movies etc. Basically the static "click" occurs every time there is no continuous audio output through the SPDIF Out, so when an audio clip is played it starts with the static "click", then the song plays, and ends with a static "click" after it is over. This seems strange as there is no problem when using the "speakers" "as default device" setting except for overall lower sound quality of course.
To make things even more strange, if I open an audio file in say, windows media player, then stop it again, but leave the program open in the background, the problem seems to disappear for as long as I just leave media player open in the background.
I tried my dac at my friends place on his computer, and the problem was the same. However his dac (which is the old model without USB function) does not have this static "click" problem as mine does when using the SPDIF Out. So something seems to be wrong with my zero, except it can be fixed by leaving a song paused in windows media player.. Very strange, and annoying.

As a final note I can ad that the zero also plays a static noise when powering up for about 2 seconds. I don't know if that is normal or not, however that doesn't really bother me.

If someone has a solution to this problem or has had a similar experience with the zero I would be overly glad to hear how to solve this problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Ps. I hope that this hasn't been posted before, at least I couldn't find it anywhere.

It seems to me that the clicks may happen because it's changing the sampling rate or something like that. Read this post: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mav...ml#post6587356

It also happens with my sound card (X-fi) if I use ASIO. I have the sound card configured as 44khz, that's usually the default sample rate of most music, but if I play a music file that it's 48khz for example, I got a noise at the start because the program is changing the sample rate automatically.

Apr 26, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #9,157 of 9,388
Well I only just paid for them, so they won't come for a couple of days unfortunately. The place I bought them from are located in Melbourne. I could go pick them up, but I got school aths tomorrow so I wouldn't be able to make it
biggrin.gif
Postage was free, so I thought why not
smily_headphones1.gif
I might try buy a DAC for them, nothing more than a Zero though. I would like something like a small DAC, like the size of my palm, but we'll see.

Yeah, stay away from speakers if you don't wanna end up spending a lot on cables etc
biggrin.gif
I just bought them coz sometimes I have being confined between my headphones and it stresses me out, mainly when I am doing homework etc
tongue.gif
I also need them for when friends come over etc.

Well enough talking on a Zero DAC thread
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #9,158 of 9,388
Im in the US looking to buy one of these, I guess from ebay. Who is a reputable seller and what opamp combination should I look for to get the best results for rock and movies.

Also, this might sound odd, but I am a bit concerned with something like this catching on fire and burning my house down.

May 1, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #9,159 of 9,388
Quote:

tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Did you buy them here? Store DJ: Products: PA / Speakers / Amps: Studio Monitors: M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 (Pair)

I need something to replace my craptastic bose computer speakers.

May 1, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #9,160 of 9,388
I was going to, but I needed to pay via paypal (my money is in there, not the bank), so I bought them from PonyMusic. Apparently they have ran out of stock and won't be in for 2-4 months, so they offered me the nEar 05 eXperience for no extra charge, so I took them up on it. I am not sure if I will like them or not, but if I don't I am sure someone may be interested in them. They said they won't have them until late next week, so I won't be able to give you impressions of them for a week or so.

May 1, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #9,161 of 9,388
Im trying to read all the posts.I think i need few afternoons for it.
One question guys, when i switch Zero dac power on and try to play music (no with headphones)straight away there is very low volume music coming out but after few seconds the sound breaking thru and after that is ok..
Is that normal?.
Just order it Moon ,is it difficult to install?
Thanks guys.
Just new to dac thing.

May 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #9,162 of 9,388
Quote:

I was going to, but I needed to pay via paypal (my money is in there, not the bank), so I bought them from PonyMusic. Apparently they have ran out of stock and won't be in for 2-4 months, so they offered me the nEar 05 eXperience for no extra charge, so I took them up on it. I am not sure if I will like them or not, but if I don't I am sure someone may be interested in them. They said they won't have them until late next week, so I won't be able to give you impressions of them for a week or so.

I wonder if anyone here is a member. Could save me a bundle
popcorn.gif

May 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #9,163 of 9,388
It's only $45. Funny thing is the AV-40 are $230 there I think and after paying $45 for membership, they are only $169. Cheaper to register and buy them, as opposed to just buying them straight up
tongue.gif
If only they accepted PayPal. Oh well, I hope the speakers that I ordered are good. I already wasted $30 on speaker wire and a 3.5mm to RCA cable for the AV 40 which I will not be recieving now. I gotta spend another $30 for a pair of 1.5M RCA cables and TS adaptors and right angled RCA adaptors and another DAC.

May 1, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #9,164 of 9,388
My zero dac does not work

I have a simple multimeter
and soldering station
NOTE no Oscilloscope

This I know
There is digital signal in but i get no sound out of the zero
The dac seems to detect the coax signal (red led lights up) when a signal from my soundcard i start

All transistors/voltage regulators has the right voltage as far as i know
Nothing looks broken, burnt, loose
no leaking or swollen caps

May 1, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #9,165 of 9,388
Quote:

It's only $45. Funny thing is the AV-40 are $230 there I think and after paying $45 for membership, they are only $169. Cheaper to register and buy them, as opposed to just buying them straight up
tongue.gif
If only they accepted PayPal. Oh well, I hope the speakers that I ordered are good. I already wasted $30 on speaker wire and a 3.5mm to RCA cable for the AV 40 which I will not be recieving now. I gotta spend another $30 for a pair of 1.5M RCA cables and TS adaptors and right angled RCA adaptors and another DAC.

Just get a debit card from your bank.

The Audioengine A5 would be my other option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back