Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Mar 13, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #8,791 of 9,388
Quote:

What USB to SPDIF (coaxial) device you can advice?

Trends UD10.1. Excellent for value, but limited to 16bits/48kHz.

good 24/96 are much more expensive :

Bel Canto USB link : Bel Canto
Empirical Audio Off ramp3 : Off Ramp Converter > Products : Empirical Audio

Fairly cheaper than those two, you could also use an EMU 0404|USB box, excellent but in fact already a full self contained USB DAC...

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #8,792 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello fellow Zero owners!
beerchug.gif

I'm looking for new cans at the moment and I've narrowed it down to either HD600 or HD650 (I've made a thread in the phones section: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/upg...-d2000-413392/).

I can have both at the exact same price and I've been agonizing the last couple of days on what to get.
I listen mainly to indie/pop/rock (but when I say rock it's not classic rock, even less hard rock, more like pop.rock and alt.rock).
The HD600 seems to be what I need but the fact that I can have what is (soon to be ex) Sennheiser's flagship for the same money makes me hesitate.

What would be the best choice for the music I listen to?

PS:It's going to be paired with my Zero (OPA627/LT1364 with the capacitors removed), is the purchase worth it or not?
I know they won't be close to full potential but all I hope for is that it can do a decent job.

Thanks!

The Zero will run the HD650s fine. They will sound much better if you get a better amp to work with the Zero later. What do you mean by Capacitors removed?

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #8,795 of 9,388
hi guys i got my zero dac about 6 months ago. recently, it has started to shut off when i move it. it seems i have to wiggle the power cord in the socket so that it stays on. any fix for this?

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #8,796 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi guys i got my zero dac about 6 months ago. recently, it has started to shut off when i move it. it seems i have to wiggle the power cord in the socket so that it stays on. any fix for this?

Check the wiring on the power socket.

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #8,797 of 9,388
:/ wouldn't even know where to begin to do that.

To be more specific about my issue.. the unit won't stay on unless im jamming the power cord in there at a certain force and angle, and even then it still seems to flicker off/on with the slightest movement.

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #8,798 of 9,388
Quote:

To be more specific about my issue.. the unit won't stay on unless im jamming the power cord in there at a certain force and angle, and even then it still seems to flicker off/on with the slightest movement.

Try another cord first

Then open the box and check for loose connections around the socket. Make sure it's not plug in and feel around the wires that go to the socket.

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #8,799 of 9,388

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #8,800 of 9,388
Quote:

I guess you'll have to find someone to help you then!

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #8,801 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did what Currawong recommended in his "Introduction to the Zero Dac": Introduction to the Zero DAC and Headphone amplifier. - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

It takes a few seconds to do and it really opens up the treble.

Has anyone removed the capacitors on a HD650? If so would you recommend it? I was thinking about doing it, but afraid because once I remove them theres really now way to put them back.

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #8,802 of 9,388
Well, HD-650s are pretty dark sounding, so it would be an improvement for them to remove the caps.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #8,803 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you'll have to find someone to help you then!

sorry for the double post, don't know what happened.

I looked inside, and from what i can tell everything is pretty snug. i tried multiple power cords as well. could it be a fuse?

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #8,804 of 9,388
Quote:

sorry for the double post, don't know what happened.

I looked inside, and from what i can tell everything is pretty snug. i tried multiple power cords as well. could it be a fuse?

It sounds like you can reproduce the problem. If you can wiggle or push in on the Power cord and have a high degree of certainty to produce the problem. The you need to push in on the cord while looking in the box and see what is moving or flexing. Could be the IEC socket is just bad I suppose. The IEC socket is what the power cord plugs into. It's not your fuse itself, but it could be the fuse holder is going "Open" when you push in the cable. Just look and see what happens in the box when you "push" the power cable.

It may not be the socket, but something else that gets shifted from the pressure you are exerting.

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #8,805 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I just ask anyone in the UK with one of these, do you get an annoying hum/ vibration from the unit?

Ok, i'm not in the UK, but find my zero's hum is so annoying that i hardly use it.. It's the transformer. tried isolating it mechanically with foam, no luck.
2x 15 + 6 volts is not easy to find.
Is there a source for replacement transformers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back