Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Mar 21, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #8,821 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You wouldn't even need to use the preamp in the Zero, you could just use it as a DAC outputting a line level signal and then adjust the volume on the speakers themselves. In fact that might be preferred rather than sending a preamped signal to those speakers which have their own volume adjustment.

Much better solution. Gets the HA out of the Mix, the 2nd Vol control out of the mix, etc.

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #8,822 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, thanks guys.

Another question though: if I wanted to go the hi-fi separates route and get an amp with some bookshelf speakers, could I still use the Zero as a DAC?

Would be looking at a Cambridge Audio A5 for the amp.

Yup.....you can do that. Just disengage the preamp/headphone amp function and the Zero acts like every other DAC out there ( A line level output ).

Peete.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #8,823 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup.....you can do that. Just disengage the preamp/headphone amp function and the Zero acts like every other DAC out there ( A line level output ).

Peete.

Awesome. Thanks mate.

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #8,824 of 9,388
I use my zero, coupled with a yulong T-amp and some Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers. The sound is pretty good for a cheap setup. It has taken my music listen experience to a whole new level and i imagine it can only get better.

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #8,825 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like you can reproduce the problem. If you can wiggle or push in on the Power cord and have a high degree of certainty to produce the problem. The you need to push in on the cord while looking in the box and see what is moving or flexing. Could be the IEC socket is just bad I suppose. The IEC socket is what the power cord plugs into. It's not your fuse itself, but it could be the fuse holder is going "Open" when you push in the cable. Just look and see what happens in the box when you "push" the power cable.

It may not be the socket, but something else that gets shifted from the pressure you are exerting.

Hey,

I tried looking to see what happens when i move the power cord in the socket. Nothing really seems to move inside the unit.

If the IEC socket is bad, is that expensive to fix? I'm hoping i can send my unit to a head-fi member that does repair services. No way im shipping back to china. I bought from Lawrence.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #8,826 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

I tried looking to see what happens when i move the power cord in the socket. Nothing really seems to move inside the unit.

If the IEC socket is bad, is that expensive to fix? I'm hoping i can send my unit to a head-fi member that does repair services. No way im shipping back to china. I bought from Lawrence.

I sent yo a PM.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #8,830 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by r_aquarii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,
i had this problem when i first got my zero.
the fix can be real easy.
what i did was i re-solder it at the joint behide the IEC socket.
i never had this problem ever since...

I heard you the first 3 times!

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #8,831 of 9,388
There's and echo in that cave...and it has a soft blue glow at night
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #8,833 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haoting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just wondering why nobody has tried out Lampizator's zero dac mod (Lampizator's Zero Dac webpage) that utilizes a vacuum tube output stage.

Well then you clearly haven't read the whole thread
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #8,834 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's and echo in that cave...and it has a soft blue glow at night
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Go Away!

Nobody in here but us Bats!!

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #8,835 of 9,388
Hey guys, another quick question.

My dad just gave me his very old stereo amplifier and speakers, and I set them up to see what they sound like. The way I have them placed is like in the pic. My question is, is the Zero too compact? Will it overheat if I keep it in such a confined space? It's only place I can keep it really.

pict0094.jpg

Sorry about the horrible quality of the picture, my camera is awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back