Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Feb 27, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #8,762 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New to DACs... saw this thread. Looking to increase the sound quality to my AKG 701's from my computer.

My question: Can this Zero DAC act as a stepping stone to adding being components? I'm interesting it in now because I need better sound quality than a crappy Audigy 2. If I get a ~$300-$500 amp in a few years, will this Zero thingy be useful then? Or will I need a better DAC? Will it limit a highend amp?

If you buy just an amp, you'll end up just amplifying your soundcard's crap sound. A DAC/amp is indeed better. As for your budget, the new Compass (which we asked to have made for people instead of the Zero, which isn't so reliable) would be an option for you and would be considerably better than your sound card. See my sig for the Compass link.

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #8,763 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conscious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there reason to replace TOSLINK cable which comes with ZERO to something better? I suspect that original Zero's cable isn't very good =)

Nothing wrong with it. Listen to it first, Look at it first, do anything first before you condemn it. Especially optical. It's not that difficult to transport LED Light 6 feet.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #8,765 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a problem with the stock Toslink cable, where the metal part in the plug was 1 mm too big to fit into anything. That's probably a YMMV issue though.

That's Bizarre. That should be a standard on both sides of the connector.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #8,767 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I would normally agree, but it just wouldn't fit anything. Had to get a Belkin Toslink cable to get it to work.

Hmmm, I think the one that came with my Zero was ALL plastic. I have one from Monoprice with a HUGE metal connector on it and it fits everything. Strange! Thanx for the info, who would have though.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #8,768 of 9,388
I found that if turn on headphone preamp and unplug headphone's jack you can adjust volume of the DAC by volume pot. So it seems to me that sound now is coming through OPAmps in preamp section. Am I rigth? It was a surprise for me because i didn't know about it before )

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #8,770 of 9,388
I guess that depends on which kind of sound you like better. Some people like a "funnier", more upfront sound, while others like a more laid-back, relaxed sound. There are many other variations in between... It also depends on what headphones you're going to plug into the amp.

I, for one, prefer a "fun" sound. I have OPA627AUs in the DAC section, and LT1364s in the amp section of my Zero, to great results. I listen through a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780s mostly.

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #8,771 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a consensus about which DACchip is the best for the zero ??

Which OPAMPs? Yes, what Penchum suggested in his review in the first post. However, the best will almost always be a HDAM (discrete component OPAMP). See the FAQ link in my sig for details.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #8,772 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conscious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that if turn on headphone preamp and unplug headphone's jack you can adjust volume of the DAC by volume pot. So it seems to me that sound now is coming through OPAmps in preamp section. Am I rigth? It was a surprise for me because i didn't know about it before )

You may want to read post 1 again.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #8,773 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a consensus about which DACchip is the best for the zero ??

The two most commonly Loved are:

1) Earth HDAM in DAC LT1364 in HA

2) SUN HDAM in DAC LT1364 in HA

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #8,774 of 9,388
Can I just ask anyone in the UK with one of these, do you get an annoying hum/ vibration from the unit?

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #8,775 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two most commonly Loved are:

1) Earth HDAM in DAC LT1364 in HA

2) SUN HDAM in DAC LT1364 in HA

What is the difference between those two ?? I do not know anything about such things..
Is it the same chip made by two different companies ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back