Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 13, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #8,401 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundmaan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT 770 Pro 80ohm. The sound isn't so "warm" now and the soundstage isn't so good too. This ain't bad mod for sure, but i like more that little guess muffled sound then
wink.gif

I have those Phones, and I "had" the 250 OHM premiums. Those phones are a touch Sibilant. I didn't snip my caps either. I thought it would exacerbate the sibilance of the Beyers.

Dec 13, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #8,402 of 9,388
^ Yeah that's what I was thinking - people with already "bright" or "forward" headphones probably shouldn't do that snip mod. Matter of preference, of course.

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #8,405 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Smoking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently trying to order a free sample of LT1364 from Linear tech but they are asking for application of the chips what should I put in this box? Thanks

How about audio amplifier?

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #8,407 of 9,388
Quote:

But aren't they meant to be business samples and thus I would need a business application not personal/home application?

I thought you were doing R&D for Head amps?

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #8,409 of 9,388
Quote:

I don't think I quite understand. Do you recommend I say that "I am doing research and development for headphone amplifiers?".

Like a steel Trap

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #8,410 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by jujulio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i bought RCA connectors at the source for like 7$, they are gold plated, should they be better than ZERO's stock ones?

Though I doubt that the effect will be audibly discernable, I am keen to hear positive experiences. After all this will be a low cost mod that nobody would really mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious what headphones you are using - as I think this is a factor. People with "darker" cans like Sennheisers tend to like this as it opens up the top end a bit, while when I had my Grados I thought it made them too harsh - so this mod may be dependent on the headphones you are using...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Yeah that's what I was thinking - people with already "bright" or "forward" headphones probably shouldn't do that snip mod. Matter of preference, of course.

Considering that my experience is based on K701, I vote for this conjecture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundmaan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I did that only - let's see and hear the difference - meaning, and it wasn't better with these phones. Luckily those little things can be solder back. No harm done.

Yes, luckily this mod is reversible. So for those who wish to sample the effect, it is advisable to snip only one end.

One more observation to contribute: I A/B the digital in between the seemingly unworthy stock optical cable and a coaxial cable (Belden with canare plugs). While few times I thought I heard warmer sound via the coax, most times I heard no difference. If my hearing serves me well, the A/B actually says 1) my setup is not high-end enough to possibly project the differences, OR 2) no difference between the means of carrying the digital signal. If the latter is true, it also means that the stock optical cable is as competent as a Belden/Canare cable.

Would like to hear any success story on changing the stock optical cable to a better quality one.

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #8,411 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keeping in mind what DaMnEd just said, I thought the Zero drove the 701s too, till I heard it later through the PH100s, its not really about the volume, but the dynamic of the music - somehow there was a feeling that the 701s were choking the Zero, at the same time I feel the PH100 effortlessly handles whatever needs the 701s throw at it..

I found much the same as I upgraded components, with the soundstage opening up with each upgrade, as if the studio the recordings in became bigger each time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, be careful! It sounded so good, I had to find out how much better a dedicated amp wold be. Then I had to know what a different DAC would do. Then how abut a little better AMP. Hmmm, wonder what another amp and DAC might do?

Hmm, I'm up to, what is it... well over a couple of $k now (see sig), but I knew from the beginning I might do this, as it would be better value than attempting it with regular hi-fi, which would require 10x the investment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jujulio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my question is, do you think it's worth for me to buy the little dot mkv to replace my marantz( i really like its 'loudness' fonction^^ make your headphone work a bit like a subwoofer, great for electro, trance etc...)? I never had the chance to try another amp so i really don't know what to expect
confused_face(1).gif

Get the Audio-gd C2C or one of their HP amps. For about the same price, the C2C is miles better than the MKV, to the point of using a DAC worth 3x as much, as well as expensive cables. You could probably get the same performance as the MKV, or better than it from one of Audio-gd's cheaper amps.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #8,413 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm, I'm up to, what is it... well over a couple of $k now (see sig), but I knew from the beginning I might do this, as it would be better value than attempting it with regular hi-fi, which would require 10x the investment.

Heh, yeah that's how I rationalized this also. Now, I'm looking at my neglected "main" system going Hmmmm...

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #8,414 of 9,388
Thanks currawong, i will keep that in mind when the time is ripe for buying an amp!
edit: i saw your review i enjoed it, realy abstracting to deliver the meaning to a newcomer like me. So you think it's best designed for low impendance cans like AKG and Denon, how would it sound with a HD 650 given its impendance? Truth is i meanly listen to electronica, trance, goa, dark etc...I used to listen to rock and some classical with organs like Bach, but when i got my HD650 and my father's marantz 30 years old receiver, i fell for this kind of music, while the music i once favored didn't rival its pleasure. But your review makes me think about that, should give it a try again
tongue.gif
I assume that my setup is currently favoring this type of music, though i don't regret because it allows me to explore new music.

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #8,415 of 9,388
I have a bantam DAC and I'm building a starving student so I'm wondering if it'd be worth using the Zero as a pre-amp.
So:
Laptop > bantam > ZERO > starving student > Q40s

Or should I use the ZERO independent of the other two? (If I get one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back