Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Nov 19, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #7,891 of 9,388
Quick 'buring in question'.
When I get my new HDAMs, can I put them in the H/A section (along with HDAM Earth in DAC) and plug phones in to speed up burn in time? Or won't it power 3 HDAMs at the same time?
I don't use the H/A section much, mainly used a DAC for my DV 332.

Cheers

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #7,892 of 9,388
It'll power 3 HDAMs at the same time with no problems in my testing.

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #7,894 of 9,388
Anyone here have a spare HDAM that they would want to sell? I'd be interested in buying if you're not using it anymore.

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #7,896 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
theres one in ebay now :

Brand-New Audio-GD Dual-OPA HDAM Earth Opamp w/ Extras! - eBay (item 290275503113 end time Nov-22-08 06:46:52 PST)

and currently I am the highest bidder!!!

thanks, too bad he only has one...looks like I should also bid on this one
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #7,897 of 9,388
I just acquired a used DV332 with Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V and Mullard M8110 tubes to pair with my HD595. The bass seems to be (unusually) too pronounced and overpowering, and sounds very muddy, as if the higher frequencies have been lost. It sounds a lot like the Zero before I snipped off the caps at the headamp section and RCA jacks. Malos, who had the 332+595 combo said he did not have the impression, and I haven't heard complaints like this from 650 owners.

Could this be due to the iffy RCA jack on my Zero? The RCA cables fit very loosely (as in the holes of the RCA jack seem a little too large), and I had to use a lot of blutack and do a lot of adjustment before I could get a signal.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #7,898 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very nice indeed.. I wonder how you fit the HDAM and still able to close the top lid.. I use to hear it had to be placed somewhere else via extension cables to get the cover on..

my Zero cant put the top cover i just open like that hehehe i prefer not using extension cable shorter is better :p
more close up picture
wut i mod :-
Putting Panasonic FC for Power section , Elna RJH for opamp supply , Nichicon Muse for DAC , Elna Silmic II and Silmic for regulator, puting 6N silver wire for RCA output with Neutrik RCA female plug.
img2552ae5.jpg

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #7,899 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just acquired a used DV332 with Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V and Mullard M8110 tubes to pair with my HD595. The bass seems to be (unusually) too pronounced and overpowering, and sounds very muddy, as if the higher frequencies have been lost. It sounds a lot like the Zero before I snipped off the caps at the headamp section and RCA jacks. Malos, who had the 332+595 combo said he did not have the impression, and I haven't heard complaints like this from 650 owners.

Could this be due to the iffy RCA jack on my Zero? The RCA cables fit very loosely (as in the holes of the RCA jack seem a little too large), and I had to use a lot of blutack and do a lot of adjustment before I could get a signal.

Poor contact is really going to compromise the signal. You need to get all the jacks tight fitting, how come they were so loose?

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #7,900 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by cuoreboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my Zero cant put the top cover i just open like that hehehe i prefer not using extension cable shorter is better :p
more close up picture
wut i mod :-
Putting Panasonic FC for Power section , Elna RJH for opamp supply , Nichicon Muse for DAC , Elna Silmic II and Silmic for regulator, puting 6N silver wire for RCA output with Neutrik RCA female plug.
img2552ae5.jpg

Very nice indeed.. Thank God I am blind and not deaf....
k701smile.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #7,901 of 9,388
If I wanted to hook up a Zero dac to my laptop, how would something like the Xitel converter with a USB connection compare to having a plugging in soundcard and conneting it via an optical cord? Is there much sound quality difference between the two?
I'm thinking about getting an X-fi sound card but I wasn't sure how this would compare tothe USB connection route. Thanks.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #7,902 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes - guess nothing ever got resolved then? Did you at least get money back from paypal?

Hiya Scottie,

Paypal washed their hands of me instantly. The item was not purchased through eBay, and as-such the Paypal "protection" is utterly worthless. Because my issue was with the quality of the product, and not with a missing product, they quite literally shut down my dispute immediately(despite me submitting several emails without response from the seller), finding that the seller had completed their obligations. This is despite the unit shipping with scratches on it, no sound from one channel, and standard opamps when the order clearly stated the purchase was of the unit with uprated opamps.

A lot of people on here seemed to think that I was over-reacting, and that Lawrence would come good in the end. He never made contact again, and more and more people on here started to come forward with problems with their purchase - from incorrectly installed opamps, and standard opamps rather than the paid-for upgraded items, to units built with incorrectly-orientated capacitors, and failing to work at all.

I ended up talking with my bank and having a chargeback issued against Paypal. With a little luck they'll deduct the money from the seller
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems I was the first to encounter his period of selling after he paid less attention and put in less and less effort. Another member has emailed me, with similar contact problems with Lawrence, and has also had to instigate a chargeback after Paypal washed their hands of it all.

Paypal and Lawrence are as useful as each other.

~Phewl.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #7,903 of 9,388
Also, would something like the Zero's DAC totally cancel out the DAC of a soundcard? Probably a stupid question.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #7,904 of 9,388
djchaz - you posted the same question at 42 minutes past the hour, and 49 minutes past the hour. You need to give folks a chance to respond! Someone will chime in with their opinion over the course of the next few hours
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #7,905 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
djchaz - you posted the same question at 42 minutes past the hour, and 49 minutes past the hour. You need to give folks a chance to respond! Someone will chime in with their opinion over the course of the next few hours
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl

Yes, check penchum's sig for a review of the laptop x-fi card. to his ears, it makes a pretty big difference. Those USB things can be shoddy, normally don't handle the high resolutions an audio card can, and (this last oone is personal preference but...) I don't like tying up my already over-busy USB bus with yet another device (one that needs to be as clean as possible).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back