Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Nov 16, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #7,861 of 9,388
Is there a mod to force the Zero DAC to default to:

1. Coax input (instead of optical)

2. Phone (amp mode, instead of preamp mode)

It's annoying that I have to hit two buttons - after a forced delay - to listen. I almost always use Coax in, amp mode.

Any ideas on a mod to make this happen?

Thanks!
-Garret

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #7,862 of 9,388
No mod I know that'll do that Garret....although I could be wrong.

Peete.

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #7,864 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garret Jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a mod to force the Zero DAC to default to:

1. Coax input (instead of optical)

2. Phone (amp mode, instead of preamp mode)

It's annoying that I have to hit two buttons - after a forced delay - to listen. I almost always use Coax in, amp mode.

Any ideas on a mod to make this happen?

Thanks!
-Garret

I recall someone putting just the DAC board and transformer into another box, removing the front switches and headphone/pre amp altogether. When I asked how he switched to coax, he said it auto-sensed it. That wouldn't help with switching in the HP amp. I guess something would need to be done to the front switch circuits to make that happen.

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #7,865 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sandchak,

I also mentioned these wires in the original reply...it was easy to miss I suppose in my huge answer. The 3 wire connector (black wires) are for power only, the two 4 wire sections to and from the pre/head amp board to the main board are the analog (L/R channel pairs of + and - signals) lines...it's possible those are reversed as finax suggests.

How to trouble shoot this section is not easily explained by text alone. Posting pics showing the cable runs and the wiring would help greatly so I can double check the connections. Label the the difference between the two cable runs (of 4 wires each) and to which connectors they are using (of the 4 on both boards)

A really simple test to check pure DAC mode would be to pull the black 3 wire power connection from it 's connector (on the H/Amp board) and see if the line level signal in pure DAC mode will pass to your speakers. This powers down the entire H/Amp section from the main pcb circuit.

Another simple test would be to pull the 2 four wire connectors from the H/Amp board effectively taking the entire H/Amp circuit out of the DAC circuit. The 3 wire power remains unconnected as well for this additional test.

Make sure you note which 4 wire assembly was connected to it's respective slot, that way you'll know the original assembly positions.

I hope that isn't confusing...give it a try

Peete.

Hi Peete,
Seems like I am having a good day today after all the hassles with non performing Zero, I was about to ship it back today, when I got an email from the seller Mr Wong (EBAY ID wsz0304) that he would ship me a brand new Zero Board (tested) GRATIS !! and I could keep the other board which doesnt function fully.. now this is what I call Great Service.. I am really very impressed by the way he and his assistant communicated with me and now this welcome gesture.. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!
Btw, I got my PH 100 this morning too and its been on the burn for the last 6 hours.. my my, what a build, I mean it looks really rock solid and to add to it all, its really brought in the much wanted warmth and mellow in my 701s - I am sure its going to get better as time goes by, currently its hooked up with my NAD c541i > Van den Hul hybrids > PH100 > 701s .. I am thoroughly enjoying..
Decided to use the Zero when its up, only as a DAC to my PC setup..
Thanks for all the help
Sandeep
PS. still cant get in touch with my friend in the States......

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #7,866 of 9,388
WSZ 0304 is the real deal! Good to hear he came through for you. Let us know when you get it and if its a total fix.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #7,867 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WSZ 0304 is the real deal! Good to hear he came through for you. Let us know when you get it and if its a total fix.

Sure is.. only hope the new board sorts the problem.. in any case, it takes nothing away from the sellers excellent service..

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #7,868 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Peete,
Seems like I am having a good day today after all the hassles with non performing Zero, I was about to ship it back today, when I got an email from the seller Mr Wong (EBAY ID wsz0304) that he would ship me a brand new Zero Board (tested) GRATIS !! and I could keep the other board which doesnt function fully.. now this is what I call Great Service..

<snip>

Now, that is excellent. That's how customer service should be, rather than that ignorant and totally useless twerp I had the misfortune of buying from...

Glad you got a good result
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #7,869 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, that is excellent. That's how customer service should be, rather than that ignorant and totally useless twerp I had the misfortune of buying from...

Glad you got a good result
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Yikes - guess nothing ever got resolved then? Did you at least get money back from paypal?

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #7,870 of 9,388
Hey all!

I recently bought a HA ELEC mini dac from AudiophileChina. It uses the same DAC-chip as the Zero aswell as the same type of OPA's. I haven't gotten around to switch them out yet, although I already have a pair of LT1364's at hand. I was just wondering if it's possible to use 3*1364 in the Zero, because I have not seen any info on it. I'm also wondering if anyone is selling a 2*627 on a brown dog, I'm interested in it
beyersmile.png

I do not think a HDAM will fit though...

I hope I'm not derailing anything here!

Cheers!

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #7,871 of 9,388
A couple of weeks ago I got the Zero (HDAM/LT1364/alps/usb adapt) from Lawrence. I payed USD 275 incl airmail. Took 10 days ab HK to my place here in beautiful Horn Shire. When I ordered the Zero I was (wonderfully) unaware of the problems people have had with their Zeros from Lawrence. To make it short: I have enjoyed my Zero for a couple of weeks now playing optically out of my mac into the Zero using etys/senn650/senn280pro/SansuiSS100 (Lucinda Williams/Bob Dylan/Miles Davies/GoldbergVar/Trentemoller/Zero7/Cream). Further I feel the need to say that I had no problems whatsoever with Lawrence (fine communication etc) and the Zero just gets better by the bit. PS I'm new on this forum - love it...

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #7,872 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by svanholm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of weeks ago I got the Zero (HDAM/LT1364/alps/usb adapt) from Lawrence. I payed USD 275 incl airmail. Took 10 days ab HK to my place here in beautiful Horn Shire. When I ordered the Zero I was (wonderfully) unaware of the problems people have had with their Zeros from Lawrence. To make it short: I have enjoyed my Zero for a couple of weeks now playing optically out of my mac into the Zero using etys/senn650/senn280pro/SansuiSS100 (Lucinda Williams/Bob Dylan/Miles Davies/GoldbergVar/Trentemoller/Zero7/Cream). Further I feel the need to say that I had no problems whatsoever with Lawrence (fine communication etc) and the Zero just gets better by the bit. PS I'm new on this forum - love it...

Glad to hear it!

Nov 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #7,873 of 9,388
Hello!

I'm new to this forum and I have have a few questions about the Zero DAC. This is probably not the right forum to ask, but it seems like this is the most active thread on this DAC
tongue.gif

I'm considering buying a Zero DAC but I'll only use it as a external DAC connection between my PC and my reciever (not as a headphone amp).

My questions are:
Is this a good DAC (considering the price (~170$ including shipping)?
How expensive CD players will it outperform?
And the last but most important question: Is it a better DAC than the NAD T753's DAC?

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #7,874 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chriselv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!

I'm new to this forum and I have have a few questions about the Zero DAC. This is probably not the right forum to ask, but it seems like this is the most active thread on this DAC
tongue.gif

I'm considering buying a Zero DAC but I'll only use it as a external DAC connection between my PC and my reciever (not as a headphone amp).

My questions are:
And the last but most important question: Is it a better DAC than the NAD T753's DAC?

You are the right place, and I am sure soon you will have all the answers you need.
I am as new as you are, so I rather wait and watch !!

Nov 18, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #7,875 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chriselv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!

tongue.gif

My questions are:

Oh Btw, if you finally decide to get one and from ebay, get it from seller wsz0304 , he is most favored in the forum for his impeccable service.. well, thats how far my contribution goes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back