Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check your tracking number S-Man...the FrankenZERO kit is almost at your house
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully a couple more days and you have it
smily_headphones1.gif

The diode silkscreen marks are all correct on the Zero's PCB
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Yippee! And while I'm at one courier depot shortly, I will stop off at the other one nearby and see if there's a little prezzie for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Nearly play time. S-Man

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #7,398 of 9,388
Quote:

Well I think I'll be ordering from wsz0304 tonight or tomorrow. How long does the shipping usually take for the Zero? I've heard that it's around 10 days.

Yeah its about 7-10 days although since it comes in from a west coast port you might get yours faster. I got mine from WSZ0304 and he kept me informed throughout the process.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #7,399 of 9,388
Whats involved in swapping out the RCA jacks? I got some free CMC ones from Audio-GD and I was thinking about doing it, then soldering the HDAM ground, then doing the volume pot mod.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #7,400 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I've got no problem just getting the basic opamp upgrade. You still have to pay additioanl for the volume pot and HDAMs...and getting them right off the bat means no fun tweaks later
wink.gif

True! You can't appreciate a HDAM until you've been listening before and after.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats involved in swapping out the RCA jacks? I got some free CMC ones from Audio-GD and I was thinking about doing it, then soldering the HDAM ground, then doing the volume pot mod.

Last I looked, basically pulling out the DAC board which involves unplugging it from the head/pre amp and transformer then unscrewing it from the case.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #7,401 of 9,388
I've recently purchased this dac, and my unit seems to have a problem with the left channel. The left channel is very muted, but the right one is fine. This problem is present in both the headphone jack and the RCA out. Also when I plug my headphones into the headphone jack, turning the volume causes a muffled scratching sound in the left channel.

What do you guys think I should do? Should I return to the seller and ask for a replacement?

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #7,402 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transcendent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've recently purchased this dac, and my unit seems to have a problem with the left channel. The left channel is very muted, but the right one is fine. This problem is present in both the headphone jack and the RCA out. Also when I plug my headphones into the headphone jack, turning the volume causes a muffled scratching sound in the left channel.

What do you guys think I should do? Should I return to the seller and ask for a replacement?

This same thing happened to me when I got mine from Lawrence. It seems to have happened to a few others as well.

What happened was that the DAC opamp was put in backwards, causing it to essentially burn up. Poke around in yours and see if that was done. What I did to verify it was pop one of the headamp opamps into the dac section briefly, just to check... it worked perfectly fine.

I ended up ordering some OPA627's off ebay to expedite the process, because Lawrence wanted me to ship mine back first.

Hope that helps!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #7,403 of 9,388
Its strange that its affecting your RCA. According to other posts in this thread, it might be a poorly seated Opamp. Try and pull it out and put it back firmly. Make sure those half moon indents are lined up one on top of the other or else youll short out the opamp.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #7,404 of 9,388
I got mine ordered! I look forward to being a member of Team Zero
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #7,405 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine ordered! I look forward to being a member of Team Zero
tongue_smile.gif

Good on ya, Scorpio, all being well you're going to have a wonderful time, especially if you don't mind the teeniest bit of DIY.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to Team Zero! S-Man

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #7,407 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transcendent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I've reseated the Opamp in the right direction (crescent facing the rear of the unit), but the problem still persists. Any other suggestions as to what the cause could be?

Well, was it in backwards to start? If so it may already be damaged.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #7,409 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZNracerx1989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Zero as good of a preamp output as a headphone amp? The HDAM and opamp mods wont affect the preamp output in any way right?

its a better dac then a headphone amp. and the HDAM and opamp mods will affect preamp output (granted your speaking of the DAC hdam swap). in a good way though..

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #7,410 of 9,388
btw the zero handles 192000 kHz very well... been experimenting with SRC resampler using foobar2k, and despite what purists say, it sounds very nice. in a word, smoother

Users who are viewing this thread

Back