Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 24, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #6,781 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Direct /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen the light.

The problem was in where the ground wire was attached, which was apparently not the circuit ground, but just the chassis. For some reason, this made the discrete opamp modules overheat, thus perform worse, and also made the LM317/337 regulators get too hot.

With the grounds disconnected (temporarily), the Earth really sounds quite good and nothing gets hot anymore.

Actually, you could just leave the earth lead off, if you like. I haven't connected mine at all, not a trace of hum or other noise and my HDAM remains warm only - both off them, as I have one in my KHA (amp) as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good point you make about the overheating with the earth wire to chassis ground BTW.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #6,782 of 9,388
OK; after reading only BITS of all this (30 pages or so) it seems clear to me that buying one of these things is actually a BAD idea unless a person can do some DIY modifications. Correct? For a mutt like me with six thumbs per hand and no technical skills at all, it sounds like I'm asking for disappointment. Ideas please and be nice; I'm old. And a musician. Humm it for me....

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #6,783 of 9,388
If you can handle a screwdriver and gently pulling out a couple of nail-sized chips, you'll be fine.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #6,784 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can handle a screwdriver and gently pulling out a couple of nail-sized chips, you'll be fine.

Thanks for that. What about just buying one that is already upgraded? I saw one on eBay and mentioned it earlier (MUCH!) in this thread and Penchum seemed to think the upgrade was worth having however it was not a product from biglawhk; it was from shenzhen Audio store and looks like this:

ZERO 24/192 DAC DA CONVERTOR, HEAD AMP(Upgrade Version) - eBay (item 110290388662 end time Sep-27-08 00:29:11 PDT)

Wuddya think?

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #6,785 of 9,388
How is the Zero at handling hard to drive headphones line the HD650 and the K701's?

I currently am using ATH-A900's and these are very easy to drive but am looking to get a set of High en open cans and was wondering if I need to budget for a dedicated amp?

Thanks in Advance Carter

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #6,786 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

CURRAWONG...I just read your Introduction to the ZERO; perhaps I could have avoided asking annoying questions had I read that first however I still have ONE more annoying question. To get the model that is "as far as you can go without soldering", your highly recommended item, would I need to do anything else? Any more pulling of "nail-sized chips"?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
D

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #6,788 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddoingwell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CURRAWONG...I just read your Introduction to the ZERO; perhaps I could have avoided asking annoying questions had I read that first however I still have ONE more annoying question. To get the model that is "as far as you can go without soldering", your highly recommended item, would I need to do anything else? Any more pulling of "nail-sized chips"?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
D

You'd need to purchase a HDAM unit from Audio-gd (with extension wires) and that's where you'd get into using a screwdriver, then some careful swapping of that chip with the long pins you see in the photos on that auction with the HDAM unit. It's quite easy.

I've taken some pictures of the inside of my Zero, so I'm due to add them to my guide.

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #6,789 of 9,388
Has anyone gotten the opa-sun v2 and opa-moon yet? Looking for a verdict on these for the DAC section.

Used opa-sun v1 and it was too bright. From reading the literature, it seems like they may fixed the issue, but not sure if it's still bright though.

And the opa-moon? How do make it sound tube-like using transistors?

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #6,790 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddoingwell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK; after reading only BITS of all this (30 pages or so) it seems clear to me that buying one of these things is actually a BAD idea unless a person can do some DIY modifications. Correct? For a mutt like me with six thumbs per hand and no technical skills at all, it sounds like I'm asking for disappointment. Ideas please and be nice; I'm old. And a musician. Humm it for me....

Or you can look at it as your opportunity to turn all those thumbs back into fingers by learning on an easy inexpensive platform. The in and outs of which (small modifications) translate across many types of gear....I'm a glass is half full kinda guy....everyone at some point is all thumbs....myself included
biggrin.gif

Peete.

PS The base top line solder-less Zero anyone can update.....simply means the DAC opamp is replaced with an HDAM......Captain Hook could handle that one, although Smee would have to undo the chassis screws for him, IMO of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #6,791 of 9,388
So...

I ordered my Amp from lawrence, as some of you may remember, and he put the DAC opamp in backwards. In the effort expedite the process, I ordered spare OPA627's and a converter dealie. The guy I ordered them from JUST got me the opamps... but did not send the converter.

:sigh:

Anyone know of a place that I can get one very quick? blehh

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #6,792 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the Zero at handling hard to drive headphones line the HD650 and the K701's?

I currently am using ATH-A900's and these are very easy to drive but am looking to get a set of High en open cans and was wondering if I need to budget for a dedicated amp?

Thanks in Advance Carter

Does a good job with HD650's, those with K701's will have to chime in...

Peete.

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #6,793 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by liquid steel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...

I ordered my Amp from lawrence, as some of you may remember, and he put the DAC opamp in backwards. In the effort expedite the process, I ordered spare OPA627's and a converter dealie. The guy I ordered them from JUST got me the opamps... but did not send the converter.

:sigh:

Anyone know of a place that I can get one very quick? blehh

Er... no, sorry LS. Was it back ordered or they just forgot to send it ? That's a PITA....when that happens.....

Your sig cracks me up
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

Peete.

PS Wait a sec..NEVERMIND....I thought you meant the USB----> SPDIF adapter...Doh...

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #6,794 of 9,388
I have to say sorry to CC, I've been lazy the last 24 hours and haven't yet tried the suggested config for the Reg/Board tranny HDAM experiment...don't worry though...it'll be done this evening for sure (real life took over last night, had to attempt my pathetic French skills since the kid is going to French Immersion school and has French homework ...DOH !!!!) Lets just say it's been awhile (near 25 years) since my brain has had to think about spelling, syntax and pronunciation in French.

Peete.

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #6,795 of 9,388
I try to stay away from this evil site (due to budget issues) - in vain.
I spent most of the day going thru the "Review: ZERO 24 BIT..." thread, got to up page 464 and place an order with Lawrence:

Zero with HDAM + LT1364 $230 including air mail.
Alps upgrade $20.
USB to SPDIF adaptor $25.
Total $275.

He's gonna install everything for me, so hopefully I won't have to mess with it as I wouldn't know where to start. I really needed a DAC to replace the mediocre laptop sound card, but didn't have the budget for a half-decent DAC so this seems pretty good. hopefully is good enough to drive a new pair of AKG701 to a decent level. eventually I'll get a SS amp, and hopefully be done with it. damn it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back