Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 2, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #5,926 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBuLLeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fugimax where can this glass toslink be found? I found some on ebay but it goes for about 30 dollars including shipping.

I purchased this one and have been happy with it and the price:
3 Ft. 3' Glass Toslink Digital Audio Cable

I believe it was recommended by Penchum in this thread "long ago and in a faraway reply".
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #5,927 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by edguetzow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased this one and have been happy with it and the price:
3 Ft. 3' Glass Toslink Digital Audio Cable

I believe it was recommended by Penchum in this thread "long ago and in a faraway reply".
bigsmile_face.gif

Yup that's a good one...and a great price..!!!!

Blue Jeans Cable uses Eska POF plastic...here's there explanation/description...(direct quote)

"Optical Digital Audio Cable: Mitsubishi Eska POF

When we have a choice, we prefer to run digital audio in coax; it's more robust over distance, and the cable is interchangeable with cable used for certain other applications (e.g., composite video). However, an increasing number of devices are coming onto the market with digital audio available only in optical form, following the TOSlink standard. For these applications, we build our optical cables using the finest high-performance Plastic Optical Fiber (POF), Mitsubishi's ESKA Fiber. While POF is in general rather lossy stuff compared to glass optical fiber, we prefer it for optical digital audio use because it's much more physically durable and because its aperture matches the spec for optical digital audio use, unlike glass fiber which is too small and must be used in bundles. Our fiber is encased first in a tough cladding layer and then, for added durability, a flexible outer PVC jacket similar in texture to the PVC on some of our high-flex Belden cables (e.g. Belden 1505F). In our own usage, we've tested these cables at lengths up to 50 feet and found them to perform perfectly even at those extended distances.
BJC Digital Optical Cable

We hand-cut and terminate each of these cables ourselves so we know they're done right and tested before they go out. We think you'll be impressed with their performance; but we also offer a complete, unconditional return privilege. If for any reason--or for no reason--you're not completely, utterly satisfied, just return the cables within 30 days and we'll refund your purchase price in full."

(end quote)

Sounds like bunk to me, can anyone confirm the claim of the aperture spec vs bundled glass ?

Some tips when ordering a glass cable...... get a .5 meter longer than you think you need to avoid any sharp bends with the glass cable otherwise you'll hear a nice spoink...when you bend that glass cable past it's break point...be careful when using a glass cable guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #5,928 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
30US is about as cheap as you'll find for a glass toslink including shipping...the only other place I can think of off hand is BlueJeans Cable but I don't know if they have a glass toslink....I'll have a look and see...

A disturbing note with my Zero running SUN in the H/Amp and the reg HDAM in the dac section...once the OPA's burned in I noticed the bass had leaned out considerably...almost like the volt regs could not deliver enough juice to the current hungry SUNs...I don't know for sure if this the case. Alex is redoing his volt reg section in the H/Amp section and I had talked with CC about a sep power supply and volt reg for all 3 HDAMs...anyway when I pulled the SUNs from the H/Amp section and put the LT1364's back in the bass came back to what it was before....weird. Further investigation is needed and Pench and I are in the middle of that right now...

Alex do you know the max current the stock regs on the H/Amp board can supply ? I think the dual channel SUNs are drawing what...close to 88 ma ? The LT's maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of that...although that may be incorrect. In any case I think the stock Zero can run 3 HDAMs but will need help in some form to deliver the current needed to sound great to those current hungry HDAMs..

I do have a volt reg board and transformer on the way...so I'll be able to test this theory for real in a couple of weeks. I also wasn't keen on the SUN's voicing...I found I much prefer the neutral presentation of the Earth/LC module. With the heavily modded Zero the voicing of the SUN once it had 75 hours to cook wasn't my cup of tea and found the LT1364's a much better match to my ears, but also the problem talked about earlier in the post.

Can people post impressions of the SUN module in the DAC section please so we can get a baseline of it's SQ's vs the known Earth/LC HDAM. For now I have to keep my Zero as is for the final leg of tests before the mod kit is released so I can't pop the SUN into the dac section for a little while yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks guys !!!!

Peete.

Oh... this is a disturbing news for me..... 1364 being better than SUN on amp section....... Well... I will only be able to confirm that by the mid of the month....
If any workaround is possible on this issue, I would be glad to know...

Diego

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #5,929 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh... this is a disturbing news for me..... 1364 being better than SUN on amp section....... Well... I will only be able to confirm that by the mid of the month....
If any workaround is possible on this issue, I would be glad to know...

Diego

Yeah Diego,

There is an idea of mine I need to try, hair brained or not
biggrin.gif
....so when I find a solution for the HDAMs in the H/Amp section I'll post it right away. Might take a couple of weeks though...my volt reg boards and transformer kit are still in transit and coming by regular post...so that may take awhile. Alex has custom reg boards coming for the H/Amp section from audio-gd (low cost versions) so that might be the other solution. He's going to tackle the stock regs on the H/Amp section while my idea is to power all 3 HDAM's independently of the Zeros regs and power supply section. Which one is the right way to do it remains to be seen er heard
smily_headphones1.gif
For all I know both may be it or neither. I do however have confidence in what Alex has in mind and less confidence in my idea. My idea has the potential to cause ground loops which may be difficult to eliminate...I not sure if I can parallel the AC connections straight from the IEC or not although I don't know why it wouldn't work electrically speaking...

All part of the fun ..discovering what works and what doesn't
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #5,930 of 9,388
pete, are your OPAs plugged in through extension or soldered to the board?

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #5,931 of 9,388
Well I need about 8 feet of Toslink but i can't find one of that size. It goes from 6 feet to 12 feet so I guess I will just get 12 feet. Does anyone know if the quality will degrade from 6 to 12 feet?

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #5,932 of 9,388
For all those that use the Zero as a DAC only using the Analog outputs. I received my Buffer 3 from Audio GD today and first impressions was positive. This buffer has further improved the sound quality to a point that you could say your actually listening to a top end CD player in the thousands. My Zero has the Earth as I prefer the neutral sound and if you use the analog outputs for an external head amp lilke the little Dot I hear so much of , you could be impressed with this little box ..

Burson Audio sells them for $499 Aus but from Audio GD I got mine for $199.50 Delivered . I made some new CAT6 3 Braid interconnects yesterday so they have some more running in as their only 5 hours old ..

I have to say the Chinese must like bright lights on their HiFi components , this buffer now has a high beam head light on it .. Will have to check whether I can solder in a resistor to soften the light .

beerchug.gif

Gavin ..

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #5,933 of 9,388
Has anyone tried the DAC-100 from audio-gd. I wonder how it compares to the Zero. Hopefully the Zero is better than the DAC-100 since I own a ZERO. Anyways anyone tried the Millett Hybrid amp aka SSHA with the ZERO? Does the Zero built in amp sound better than the Hybrid amp?

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #5,934 of 9,388
123cans;4681173 said:
Wouldn't you be better off buying better digital and analog interconnects?
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi 123cans , well if you can give an idea of what is better in your opinion , is by brand , price or what you have auditioned yourself . I've listened to brands many hundreds of dollars and the Computer network Cat 6 wire braided with 3 wires with signal and both earth connected at one end and only one earth connected at the other end has given fantastic results and it only cost me $15 aus for parts to make 30 cm lenght.

As neutral I mean the instruments sound the way they should and not over the top or un natural , I've heard live instruments before and what I judge my opinion as neutral ..

Gavin ...

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #5,935 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by 123cans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't you be better off buying better digital and analog interconnects?
smily_headphones1.gif

That aside, I don't consider the EARTH a neutral sounding opamp really. If it was, then all audio opamps by different makers (BB, AD, LT, National) would be "wrong" and all in the same way.

Nice try 123cans or should I say Andrea ...
L3000.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #5,936 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by gavszero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For all those that use the Zero as a DAC only using the Analog outputs. I received my Buffer 3 from Audio GD today and first impressions was positive. This buffer has further improved the sound quality to a point that you could say your actually listening to a top end CD player in the thousands. My Zero has the Earth as I prefer the neutral sound and if you use the analog outputs for an external head amp lilke the little Dot I hear so much of , you could be impressed with this little box ..

Burson Audio sells them for $499 Aus but from Audio GD I got mine for $199.50 Delivered . I made some new CAT6 3 Braid interconnects yesterday so they have some more running in as their only 5 hours old ..

I have to say the Chinese must like bright lights on their HiFi components , this buffer now has a high beam head light on it .. Will have to check whether I can solder in a resistor to soften the light .

beerchug.gif

Gavin ..

Great feedback...
Ins't $200.00 too much for a sub $150 sometimes even sub$100 unit.... ?

I'm wondering, with all this mods we're putting on Zero, Wouldn't it be worth to buy one already expensive unit, them upgrading Zero ?? Where we will get on this in terms of sound quality and cost ? Will it be worth ?
This topic became a quest still to end....
confused.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #5,937 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah Diego,

There is an idea of mine I need to try, hair brained or not
biggrin.gif
....so when I find a solution for the HDAMs in the H/Amp section I'll post it right away. Might take a couple of weeks though...my volt reg boards and transformer kit are still in transit and coming by regular post...so that may take awhile. Alex has custom reg boards coming for the H/Amp section from audio-gd (low cost versions) so that might be the other solution. He's going to tackle the stock regs on the H/Amp section while my idea is to power all 3 HDAM's independently of the Zeros regs and power supply section. Which one is the right way to do it remains to be seen er heard
smily_headphones1.gif
For all I know both may be it or neither. I do however have confidence in what Alex has in mind and less confidence in my idea. My idea has the potential to cause ground loops which may be difficult to eliminate...I not sure if I can parallel the AC connections straight from the IEC or not although I don't know why it wouldn't work electrically speaking...

All part of the fun ..discovering what works and what doesn't
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Well... so let's wait and prey.... just kinding.... I guess yone or both of you two will have success.
Have you realized that what you and penchum say "is good" people go there and buy tons of it ?!?! You guys (and some few others), became like a guru to Zero community!
Hey, I'm following yah!
beerchug.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #5,938 of 9,388
Quote:

Nice try 123cans or should I say Andrea ...
L3000.gif

Oh well.................

"Oh, it's raining again

Oh no, my love's at an end

Oh no, it's raining again

And you know it's hard to pretend

Too bad I'm losing a friend

Oh will my heart ever mend"

L3000.gif
atsmile.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
floatsmile.png
icon10.gif
redface.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #5,939 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dacavalcante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great feedback...
Ins't $200.00 too much for a sub $150 sometimes even sub$100 unit.... ?

I'm wondering, with all this mods we're putting on Zero, Wouldn't it be worth to buy one already expensive unit, them upgrading Zero ?? Where we will get on this in terms of sound quality and cost ? Will it be worth ?
This topic became a quest still to end....
confused.gif

Thats the great thing about the zero , it actually sounds good stock standard but if you want to go further the cost isn't really that much more to make it into a fantastic unit. To buy say a Benckmark DAC1 for me is $2500 Australian . I would definitely go with the Zero with the mods mentioned here then to spend that sort of dollars on a DAC / Headamp ...

I can't really think of any other mods I would do to my zero except a volume pot exchange and save up for those Senns HD650's ..

beerchug.gif

Gavin ..

Sep 2, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #5,940 of 9,388
Quote:

Thats the great thing about the zero , it actually sounds good stock standard but if you want to go further the cost isn't really that much more to make it into a fantastic unit. To buy say a Benckmark DAC1 for me is $2500 Australian . I would definitely go with the Zero with the mods mentioned here then to spend that sort of dollars on a DAC / Headamp ...

I can't really think of any other mods I would do to my zero except a volume pot exchange and save up for those Senns HD650's ..

beerchug.gif

Gavin ..

I guess you're right.... maybe I just don't know how expensive a DAC/Combo with equivalent SQ of Zero w/mods would be.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back