Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 8, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #4,936 of 9,388
Could someone please tell me if the Headfi deal from Lawrence comes with an optical cable and how long it is? Ive already sent him an email but his responce didnt answer my question so i thought id ask here.

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #4,937 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Smoking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone please tell me if the Headfi deal from Lawrence comes with an optical cable and how long it is? Ive already sent him an email but his responce didnt answer my question so i thought id ask here.

Mine came with a meter long optical cable.
smile.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #4,938 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine came with a meter long optical cable.
smile.gif

x2

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #4,940 of 9,388
As I am in the market for a amp/DAC combo, what alternative devices (preferably single piece) has anybody compared this to? While the price looks nice, I am always a bit hesitant when somebody claims a particularly inexpensive piece is really terrific (no offense intended). Thanks to anybody who can provide some directly comparisons to other devices of similar function (DAC and amp in one).

Thanks

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #4,941 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where in the Uk are you?

also, I keep having doubts about purchasing. There have been various kinds of complaints about the unit on this forum havent there?

It may be a small minority but still, it is concerning and given the price, I am starting to think that it may not be a bargain after all..

For the price and the claimed audio quality, it's one of the best bargains you can get right now... if it works, that is (heh, sorry AP.... you should probably email him again).

But I think I said it earlier... nobody is forcing a gun to your head to purchase this. You can always save some more money and buy a higher quality DAC/Amp if you think that will better serve you, and you will feel better with your purchase, or you can spend less and get a cheaper one if you think you won't like it then you're not out so much money... it's all up to you.

But honestly... I'm sure in whatever price bracket you purchase your equipment there is a chance of failure, so there is no guarantees whatever you decide to buy. Unless of course, you don't buy anything, that gives you 100% guarantee nothing will break and you won't be out any money
beyersmile.png

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #4,942 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer Jazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ianp,
I would like to know what is "install the proper Gucci jewellery"?
Did u mod your Zero to include the tube?
Thanks!

katanka is correct about the gucci, it means to use good quality RCA jacks.

I have not yet installed the tube. I'm finding that my level of electrical knowledge around such things as tubes is such that it requires that I progress slowly. I am, very much as a background task, trying to put together a page with simple to understand instructions on this modification. I'll need input from others to make sure that it is correct though.

If there is anyone with knowledge of electrical schematics with tube knowledge maybe they could drop me a PM.

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #4,943 of 9,388
There have been a few problems, sure, but what product doesn't have some problems? The VAST majority here have been happy with their units - also remember, the unhappy ones tend to be much more vocal than the satisfied ones (most of which are too busy listening!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #4,944 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckoffend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I am in the market for a amp/DAC combo, what alternative devices (preferably single piece) has anybody compared this to? While the price looks nice, I am always a bit hesitant when somebody claims a particularly inexpensive piece is really terrific (no offense intended). Thanks to anybody who can provide some directly comparisons to other devices of similar function (DAC and amp in one).

Thanks

Well since you're in this thread, something must have sparked your interest. Not many people have compared the Zero to anything else AFAIK, being a budget DAC, im sure most people don't have other DACs to compare it to. What i can say is that for a mere $139 with the opamp upgrades, you're getting a really good deal, with really good sound and a heapamp that some have said is as good as a little dot mkv after some opamp rolling.

Take the plunge and join the ZERO high club
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #4,945 of 9,388
Now I get your point about the snippit. It seems so easy now, after I meddle with thd RCA. Those RCA are just like papers, u can tear it apart. Prefer the solid stuff like WBT.

Anyway, I will be getting the OPA Earth and Sun and hope I would not be disappointed with it. Just got my integrated Tube amp push pull. Now I am full steam ahead on HIFI.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #4,946 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Smoking /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want to take the plunge and join the Zero club.
What is the headfi deal from Lawrence? I take it he is selling the zero direct (no ebay). Where can I find his offer? Is this the best way to go? Is this the zero with the upgraded tranie?

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #4,947 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by closdubois /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to take the plunge and join the Zero club.
What is the headfi deal from Lawrence? I take it he is selling the zero direct (no ebay). Where can I find his offer? Is this the best way to go? Is this the zero with the upgraded tranie?

The head-fi deal includes the upgraded opamps (OPA672 in the DAC, LT1364s in the amp). You can buy direct from him by sending an email to lawrencechanbig@msn.com. He'll send you a paypal invoice.

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #4,948 of 9,388
Has anyone attempted to add another 3.3v power supply for the VA power input on the CS8416?

Has anyone attempted to make the PLL filter for the CS8416 more shielded and actually follow the recommended circuit?

Has anyone attempted to bypass most of the junk in the Coax input and just use the simple SPDIF circuit recommended by Crystal?

These are the 3 glaring issues I see on the DAC side.

The 3.3v analog input directly effects jitter performance. Crystal recommends that this power supply be as clean as possible and that it be separate from the digital voltage section input.

The PLL filter is supposed to stay on the same side of the board, stay away from any other digital circuitry, and is supposed to be built to the recommended circuit diagram. This circuit is what recovers and reclocks the incoming signal and its seems to break all of the design recommendations made by Crystal.

The SPDIF input should have 4 or 5 components in the path, but instead it splits and twists and turn and even drives a pair of transistors so that we get blinky led action. Crystal made the CS8416 to accept balanced or unbalanced digital with the end user only have to decouple it with a couple of caps and make sure the connection sees 75 ohms.

The connections between the CS8416 and the AD1852 are really well done. So I don't see much that can be done there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back