Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 7, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #4,921 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you install a simple volume pot somewhere in the lampizated zero?

That would give me the volume control option back, AND the whole mod.

Do you know enough electronics to add the volume option to it do you think?

Probably. I've got to be honest with you - I'm fine at following plans. I'm not here to discuss various alternatives to things - if you want it done, send me a Zero, the plans you want followed, and the parts, and some petty beer tokens.

I can't suggest alternatives, nor tell you how the end result is going to sound. I've never built one, nor did I design it.

You could probably add a volume pot, if you really wanted, if it were fitted directly after the output coupling capacitors. But I make no guarantees over this - I'm possibly wrong, and likely to be misleading you.

I have to be honest here - you're barking up the wrong tree. You have expectations on how the thing is going to perform based on one mans experiences. You've no idea how good the basic package is, nor how good it sounds after some opamp rolling, nor any idea of how it performs with discrete-component amplifiers in place of the opamps.

You're hankering after a valve solution - I'd really suggest starting out with a design based around valves.

The "Lampizator" may be precisely what you're looking for - you're looking for a trike. Converting a motorcycle into a trike is a lot of extra effort. But the current approach is akin to converting a car into a trike.

It may be precisely what you're looking for, but there are likely better ways to achieve your goal.

Anyway, valves are a PITA. They run hot. they light the room with their glow, and they wear out. You should be after the Zero because it's solid-state, works damned well, and represents excellent value for money. Not because your main goal is to convert it into something else entirely.

Of course, a working unit from the off would be great. I've still heard nothing at all from Lawrence, and will be firing off a chargeback at the start of next week. I'm disgusted by his ignorance of my problem
frown.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 7, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #4,922 of 9,388
Hi all,

I am starting to be a "little" audiophile, I own a sennheiser 555 and a shure se530 and I read this forums for several months. I love sound quality
k701smile.gif

My next step was buy a headphone amp, but for my first amp I didn't want an expensive one.

I thought that this Zero DAC is perfect for me and I contacted with Lawrence <lawrencechanbig@msn.com> on monday for the "headfi deal", he replied quickly and send me a paypal money request for if I was already decided.

I paid him that same monday, and he never answered me again. I have written four mails this days and nothing
frown.gif

Has anyone contacted him these days?

Sorry my english and thanks to everyone for this great community.

Aug 7, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #4,923 of 9,388
Which Monday was this? Have you been waiting for just a few days, or is it longer?

I've had a very poor experience with him, but it would be fair to say I'm in the minority of folk on here.

~Phewl.

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #4,924 of 9,388
This Monday August 7.

First, he answered fast and send me the paypal money request.

After I paid him through Paypal, he never answered again
frown.gif

I am beginning to worry, not much yet but a little.

How long does it usually takes him to answer your mails?

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #4,925 of 9,388
Before he shipped the item, each day. After I received the faulty and incomplete package, I've heard nothing now for 2 weeks.

~Phewl.

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #4,927 of 9,388
Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif
. However things turn out, please keep this thread updated. People only get a fair idea of what to expect when people post their experiences, both good and bad.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #4,929 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't your HDAM get too hot right there? That spot is right between the heat sinks for both the DAC and the headamp sections. I had to move my HDAM towards the front of the case on the left side (or right side depending on perspective) of the headamp right next to the potentiometer. Its much cooler up there.

Or maybe I'm just a worry wart.

It gets hot no matter where I put it, the cheeky thing.
biggrin.gif
As I mentioned I've run into some heat problems, possibly due to a damaged module. But I'm gonna plug it in and give it another shot, keeping it directly under the chassis vents.

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #4,930 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably. I've got to be honest with you - I'm fine at following plans. I'm not here to discuss various alternatives to things - if you want it done, send me a Zero, the plans you want followed, and the parts, and some petty beer tokens.

I can't suggest alternatives, nor tell you how the end result is going to sound. I've never built one, nor did I design it.

You could probably add a volume pot, if you really wanted, if it were fitted directly after the output coupling capacitors. But I make no guarantees over this - I'm possibly wrong, and likely to be misleading you.

I have to be honest here - you're barking up the wrong tree. You have expectations on how the thing is going to perform based on one mans experiences. You've no idea how good the basic package is, nor how good it sounds after some opamp rolling, nor any idea of how it performs with discrete-component amplifiers in place of the opamps.

You're hankering after a valve solution - I'd really suggest starting out with a design based around valves.

The "Lampizator" may be precisely what you're looking for - you're looking for a trike. Converting a motorcycle into a trike is a lot of extra effort. But the current approach is akin to converting a car into a trike.

It may be precisely what you're looking for, but there are likely better ways to achieve your goal.

Anyway, valves are a PITA. They run hot. they light the room with their glow, and they wear out. You should be after the Zero because it's solid-state, works damned well, and represents excellent value for money. Not because your main goal is to convert it into something else entirely.

Of course, a working unit from the off would be great. I've still heard nothing at all from Lawrence, and will be firing off a chargeback at the start of next week. I'm disgusted by his ignorance of my problem
frown.gif

~Phewl.

where in the Uk are you?

also, I keep having doubts about purchasing. There have been various kinds of complaints about the unit on this forum havent there?

It may be a small minority but still, it is concerning and given the price, I am starting to think that it may not be a bargain after all..

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #4,933 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Summer Jazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ianp,
I would like to know what is "install the proper Gucci jewellery"?
Did u mod your Zero to include the tube?
Thanks!

That means "install new good quality gold-plated RCA sockets"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back