REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Sep 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #271 of 1,613

I couldn't get it to work with my Auraliti PK90 to Audiophilleo 1, coax in to the DA8. But I couldn't get that combo to work with any SPDIF input on my other DSD capable DACs either. I think I need to retry with a PC or Mac as source, and see if that maybe was the culprit. 

Thanks for the reply. I really noticed the difference with using AP1 vs going from computer to DAC directly via USB. It would suck if I get the DA8 but have to ditch the clarity I was experiencing with the AP1.

If you have a sec, it'd be greatly appreciated if you can test whether or not AP1 would work in that chain. 

Thanks again

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #272 of 1,613

Thanks for the reply. I really noticed the difference with using AP1 vs going from computer to DAC directly via USB. It would suck if I get the DA8 but have to ditch the clarity I was experiencing with the AP1.

If you have a sec, it'd be greatly appreciated if you can test whether or not AP1 would work in that chain. 

Thanks again

Will do, might take a couple days though but I'll definitely give it a shot. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #273 of 1,613

I couldn't get it to work with my Auraliti PK90 to Audiophilleo 1, coax in to the DA8. But I couldn't get that combo to work with any SPDIF input on my other DSD capable DACs either. I think I need to retry with a PC or Mac as source, and see if that maybe was the culprit. 

Thanks again
Unless your converter can do DSD, you can't get DSD to work through coaxial.

Sep 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #274 of 1,613
Thats good to hear.
But just to be clear, i was referring to the physical device itself, not the sound quality itself.

My Violectric thinks its a clock
frown.gif

The only relay inside the DA8 is the one that disables the internal HP amp. There is no mute relay like other DACs. May be this was a design choice to minimize the components in the signal path that could degrade the audio quality. This means that some clicks could actually be heard from the output. I got clicks when switching from DSD to PCM when foo_dsd_asio proxy's DSD Playback Method is set to "Native DSD". Notice that Yulong recommends to set it to DoP. Switching from DoP (DSD over PCM) to PCM is clickless.

Does anyone has switched the DA8 power off while the power amplifier was still on? I have done this accidentally a few times. A sound similar of the needle of a record player sliding over an LP (scratch) is heard briefly.

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #276 of 1,613
Unless your converter can do DSD, you can't get DSD to work through coaxial.

http://www.yulongaudio.com/en/product_detail.asp?pid=30

Specs only refer to DSD support through USB.

Edit.

Yea, I have mis-worded it, even if your external converter is able to do DSD, the coaxial input of the DA8 cannot. Therefore, only the USB of DA8 supports DSD.

The USB on the DA8 is very good. Its so good that I ended up selling my external converter. Ive upgraded the USB cable to a higher grade and its proving to be much more beneficial.

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #277 of 1,613
  Hello simomat,
if you read what I have written, I had the same feelings at beginning. So, let you burn-in the DAC for at least 350 hours, and give it a second chance.  I know some people don't believe in it. I'm not afraid to be ridiculous, because it didn't kill me, yet. Try and make your own opinion about it. You could be astonished by the way.
beerchug.gif

Well I did not really compare the pre function to a real preamplifier (that I do not own) but I compared it to my active monitors Adam A5x volume control and using a Behringer A500 straight from the DA8 in balanced compared to my integrated amp (Heed Obelisk Si). 

So it's not a fair comparison I know, maybe I jumped to conclusions too soon!

Teiki arii as a straight DAC I think it's even more wonderful now that I'm feeling the sound has increased musicality and is more organic.

I have a plan to upgrade my Obelisk Si to an Audio-GD combo (Master 1 - SA-300) so I will test the preamp function of the DA8 in the future! 
wink_face.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #278 of 1,613
Edit.

Yea, I have mis-worded it, even if your external converter is able to do DSD, the coaxial input of the DA8 cannot. Therefore, only the USB of DA8 supports DSD.

The USB on the DA8 is very good. Its so good that I ended up selling my external converter. Ive upgraded the USB cable to a higher grade and its proving to be much more beneficial.

DarKen23 can you tell us what USB cable are you using right now? If it works fine hope it does not cost a fortune!

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #279 of 1,613
Edit.

What was the converter that you got rid of? I have a Concero and wonder if that will stay or go. Btw I believe it passes through dsd signals over dop. When using the Concero through USB.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #280 of 1,613
Edit.

What was the converter that you got rid of? I have a Concero and wonder if that will stay or go. Btw I believe it passes through dsd signals over dop. When using the Concero through USB.

I had the iFi iLink>iFi iusb which was my favorite converter out of a handful Ive tried. As for the Concero--again, DSD will not work if the converter does its thing and sends it to the DA8's coaxial. Im pretty sure the DA8's usb is superior to the Concero, I could be wrong though--since you have the concero, do a A/B.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #281 of 1,613
Edit.

DarKen23 can you tell us what USB cable are you using right now? If it works fine hope it does not cost a fortune!
I am using a oyaide continental s5. I also borrowed a friend's oyaide neo series usb to try it out.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #282 of 1,613
I had the iFi iLink>iFi iusb which was my favorite converter out of a handful Ive tried. As for the Concero--again, DSD will not work if the converter does its thing and sends it to the DA8's coaxial. Im pretty sure the DA8's usb is superior to the Concero, I could be wrong though--since you have the concero, do a A/B.
Your right. I forgot the USB is taken up and the only out is the coax. Should work with regular PCM though?

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #283 of 1,613
Your right. I forgot the USB is taken up and the only out is the coax. Should work with regular PCM though?
PCM meaning the DA8's converter? Then yes, DSD works flawlessly. Oddly, I had problems when I followed the instructions provided for DSD setup on Jriver, no matter what I did, DSD wouldnt play on Jriver. I then resorted back to foobar using ASIO route and DSD worked fine. I am now using Jriver with foobar asio driver to play DSD, no problems whatsoever, exclusive mode works, and sq is great :cool:

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #284 of 1,613
I should also mention that I think power management is extremely important and has value for equipment. Its something that ive neglected for too long. I initially wanted to opt in for one because my house, particularity my room--has some pretty bad electrical issues. My room light would shut off and on randomly, along with other odd electrical related phenomenons , this can cause voltage spikes and sags that can go into my valuable investments-- potentially destroying everything. I got the APC H10 voltage regulator and line conditioner and this thing literally fixed all my problems. Gives me peace of mind knowing that it protects my investments as well as getting a consistent and clean power, seems to provide a much better blackground. I really love this thing, thank you project86 for recommending it btw.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #285 of 1,613
yep, project86 is definitely one of the few to listen to around here.

i'm trying to source one here in australia, but no go, the thresh hold for import tax is $1000, and i refuse to pay 200 more than i need to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back