REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Sep 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #241 of 1,613
Since I purchased my HD650 I only occasionally listened to them because they sounded dull, a little muddy out of the little Arcam rPack.

I knew it wasn't good enough to drive them, just had nothing else! So I still didn't know what they were capable of... until now! I am having so much fun listening to them with the DA8, the sound opened up, vocals are meaty and soft, bass extended and controlled. 

Glad to read that all of you agree that HD800 sounds very nice driven by the DA8, because It will be my next purchase, hopefully :rolleyes:
I'm planning to use the front jack first before planning to add a dedicated amp.
The transition from HD650 to HD800 is inevitable. If you bought the DA8, Im sure youll end up with a HD800 at some point. :wink:

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #242 of 1,613
I've been trying to work out the Jriver issue, I should ask here as well.

I was using Jriver prior to the DA8. However, with MC19, I can't seem to get DSD to play, I've tried all sorts of things but failed in succeeding. In the DA8 manual, it states that wasapi EVENT should be used, but EVENT mode isn't there. Apparently if exclusive mode is selected, that would mean that event mode is being used. But I still cannot play a DSD file. Maybe someone can shed some light?

Alternatively, out of frustration--I went back to foobar and followed the instruction for ASIO. DSD plays perfectly, the DA8 screen shows "input USB DSD". Not only does DSD work, but I'm getting excellent sound quality with DSD as well as all the formats.

I had no problems with MC19 (and MC18) playing DSD. WASAPI Event Style is default but can be disabled on the "Device Settings".
I got DSD working with WASAPI (event style not disabled) or Kernel Streaming and Bitstreaming/Custom/DSD over PCM (DoP) and DSP Studio Output Format disabled.
I also got it working with ASIO and Bitstreaming/Custom/DSD but this way JRiver will not play any PCM source unless you set Output Encoding to 2xDSD on Studio Output Format that upsamples any PCM file to 2xDSD.
A third way to get MC19 playing DSD is selecting foo_dsd_asio as the output device. The foo_dsd_asio must be set to encode DSD as DoP. Bitstreaming can be either DSD or DoP.

As I told before, my MC19 (and MC18) does not play PCM files if the output device is set to DA8 ASIO, however foobar2000 plays. Does any one else have the same problem? 

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #244 of 1,613
A lot of comparisons between the DA8 and the Matrix X-Sabre. Tough decision to make as they seem to be more similar than different.

Based on some of the comments I suspect most of the sound related differences could be evened out with some op amp rolling.

For having done my share of rolling with the EE Minimax I know that OPAXXX, LMXXX, ADXXX op amps all have their sonic attributes.

Unfortunately based on pics of both DACs these appear to be SOIC type instead of the socketed DIP.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #245 of 1,613
I've been trying to work out the Jriver issue, I should ask here as well.

I was using Jriver prior to the DA8. However, with MC19, I can't seem to get DSD to play, I've tried all sorts of things but failed in succeeding. In the DA8 manual, it states that wasapi EVENT should be used, but EVENT mode isn't there. Apparently if exclusive mode is selected, that would mean that event mode is being used. But I still cannot play a DSD file. Maybe someone can shed some light?

Alternatively, out of frustration--I went back to foobar and followed the instruction for ASIO. DSD plays perfectly, the DA8 screen shows "input USB DSD". Not only does DSD work, but I'm getting excellent sound quality with DSD as well as all the formats.

I had no problems with MC19 (and MC18) playing DSD. WASAPI Event Style is default but can be disabled on the "Device Settings".
I got DSD working with WASAPI (event style not disabled) or Kernel Streaming and Bitstreaming/Custom/DSD over PCM (DoP) and DSP Studio Output Format disabled.
I also got it working with ASIO and Bitstreaming/Custom/DSD but this way JRiver will not play any PCM source unless you set Output Encoding to 2xDSD on Studio Output Format that upsamples any PCM file to 2xDSD.
A third way to get MC19 playing DSD is selecting foo_dsd_asio as the output device. The foo_dsd_asio must be set to encode DSD as DoP. Bitstreaming can be either DSD or DoP.

As I told before, my MC19 (and MC18) does not play PCM files if the output device is set to DA8 ASIO, however foobar2000 plays. Does any one else have the same problem? 
Thank you kindly! I owe you big time. I've now got MC19 to play DSD using foo_dsd_asio. "USB DSD" is displayed when DSD file is played in MC19.

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #246 of 1,613
I've got the itch to upgrade  now..
How would you say this compares to the Rega DAC?

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #250 of 1,613
I've got the itch to upgrade  now..
How would you say this compares to the Rega DAC?
I've never heard the rega, but I can say that the DA8 is the best dac I've heard to date. I don't see how anyone would be unimpressed by the DA8 unless that person is actually seeking a particular sound. I felt that the D18 had exceptional midrange, but the DA8 presents mids on another level of exceptional.

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #251 of 1,613
I borrowed a Rega DAC for a weekend. It has a nice rich sound but lacks a bit in the PRaT department.

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #252 of 1,613
  I borrowed a Rega DAC for a weekend. It has a nice rich sound but lacks a bit in the PRaT department.

Bolded the part I agree with. It's fun, like a NOS DAC or something, but not very high resolution and lacking in overall refinement. A good sounding DAC for sure, but not a great one. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #253 of 1,613

Bolded the part I agree with. It's fun, like a NOS DAC or something, but not very high resolution and lacking in overall refinement. A good sounding DAC for sure, but not a great one. 

Exactly what I was going to write (but held back). Reminded me a bit of my Mhdt Paradisea.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #255 of 1,613
Has anyone had a chance to compare the DA8 to the new Meridian Director? I think it was briefly mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm only thinking about sound as the feature spec is completely different. The DA8 looks to be a very attractive package but in the UK it's an expensive choice at approximately twice the price of the Director.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back