REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Sep 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #211 of 1,613

Oh Boy, It's here!! 
biggrin.gif

more later...

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #213 of 1,613
I'm considering Yulong's P18 as well to go with my DA8. Can anyone give me a reason not to or have a reason in which they do not believe its worth going for?

The main concern I have is that it's currently summer, and Californian's are spoiled with the weather here. It's been between 90-100 degrees the past 2 weeks and I noticed every now and then my room light will shut off. This usually happens when everyone in my complex cranks the air condition to near freezing temperatures.
I'm worried that the DA8 will not be provided with good and/or consistent power that may affect its performance.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #214 of 1,613
I'm considering Yulong's P18 as well to go with my DA8. Can anyone give me a reason not to or have a reason in which they do not believe its worth going for?

The main concern I have is that it's currently summer, and Californian's are spoiled with the weather here. It's been between 90-100 degrees the past 2 weeks and I noticed every now and then my room light will shut off. This usually happens when everyone in my complex cranks the air condition to near freezing temperatures.
I'm worried that the DA8 will not be provided with good and/or consistent power that may affect its performance.

In your case, you would need an automatic voltage stabilizer to keep a constant 110v/120v, which will protect and extend the life of your gear. A power conditioner is good if you have noise in your line.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #215 of 1,613
  In your case, you would need an automatic voltage stabilizer to keep a constant 110v/120v, which will protect and extend the life of your gear. A power conditioner is good if you have noise in your line.

This.

Or you could get a combo unit like the APC H15 which was $500 but seems to be on perpetual clearance recently. It's like a junior version of the S15 that I use, and should kick in to prevent voltage sags. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #217 of 1,613
Hello everybody,
after 350 listening hours, I can confirm my feelings about this DAC (Phase +, Filter mode slow, jitter eliminator bypass, Pure DAC Amplifier OFF/ON depending...) with Macbook Pro late 2011, 16Go RAM, Audirvana + 1.5.7, USB output as a digital source. It's better when oversampling by computer before "attacking" DAC to the maximum allowed conversion rate (352.8Khz or 384Khz) when not DSD. It works better as a "Pure DAC" with a very good symmetric preamp over headphone integrated amp/preamp. But the headphone integrated amp is not bad at all, afterall (after the 350 hours of burning). I tried it with a "
super aggressive headphone", the Gold Grado SR-325i and unlike what a reviewer said, who obviously didn't experiment the association, it works perfectly together and the result is not aggressive at all. 
A very efficient DAC as long as oversampling is realized by computer instead of Yulong DA8 himself. Think about it, have a try on your own system before drawing overhasty conclusions...
Best regards.
L3000.gif

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #218 of 1,613
  Hello everybody,
after 350 listening hours, I can confirm my feelings about this DAC (Phase +, Filter mode slow, jitter eliminator bypass, Pure DAC Amplifier OFF/ON depending...) with Macbook Pro late 2011, 16Go RAM, Audirvana + 1.5.7, USB output as a digital source. It's better when oversampling by computer before "attacking" DAC to the maximum allowed conversion rate (352.8Khz or 384Khz) when not DSD. It works better as a "Pure DAC" with a very good symmetric preamp over headphone integrated amp/preamp. But the headphone integrated amp is not bad at all, afterall (after the 350 hours of burning). I tried it with a "
super aggressive headphone", the Gold Grado SR-325i and unlike what a reviewer said, who obviously didn't experiment the association, it works perfectly together and the result is not aggressive at all. 
A very efficient DAC as long as oversampling is realized by computer instead of Yulong DA8 himself. Think about it, have a try on your own system before drawing overhasty conclusions...
Best regards.
L3000.gif

Well that's interesting. I'll have to check that out and see if that works for my system. Atleast it doesn't cost a penny to try :)

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #222 of 1,613
So I've received the DA8, had it setup, and have been listening for about 30mins. For my initial impression the build quality is excellent, sleek, with a minimalistic design which I personally love. The amp is very impressive, I was expecting something to a much smaller degree, it provides a very clean and smooth sound with a nice punch. I think the most impressive aspect of the DA8 is its soundstage, it's just sooo large(in a good way). It sounds as if the music is being bounced off the walls presenting a live like performance, far and bold sound. Yulong does not kid around and I'm all ears.

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #223 of 1,613
So I've received the DA8, had it setup, and have been listening for about 30mins. For my initial impression the build quality is excellent, sleek, with a minimalistic design which I personally love. The amp is very impressive, I was expecting something to a much smaller degree, it provides a very clean and smooth sound with a nice punch. I think the most impressive aspect of the DA8 is its soundstage, it's just sooo large(in a good way). It sounds as if the music is being bounced off the walls presenting a live like performance, far and bold sound. Yulong does not kid around and I'm all ears.

Nice Ken! What a great looking unit, too.

-Daniel

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #224 of 1,613

Nice Ken! What a great looking unit, too.

-Daniel
Thanks Dan, when do you get your Eximus DP-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back