REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Sep 20, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #286 of 1,613
yep, project86 is definitely one of the few to listen to around here.

i'm trying to source one here in australia, but no go, the thresh hold for import tax is $1000, and i refuse to pay 200 more than i need to
Ouch. Yep, I got mine for 180 shipped from amazon, couldn't say no to that :D

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #287 of 1,613

The mids just could not be any better.. The DA8>A18 has the best midrange Ive heard to date.

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #288 of 1,613
../.. I have a plan to upgrade my Obelisk Si to an Audio-GD combo (Master 1 - SA-300) so I will test the preamp function of the DA8 in the future! 
wink_face.gif

Hello simomat,
I still have one of the first audio-gd FBI-500 ever made, in 2007, it's a very nice integrated amplifier. Actually, there are two reasons about his extinction. One of the owner burnt it (not in the good way) and wanted to be refunded but couldn't. The other reason is that FBI-500 is the most complicated integrated amplifier ever made by Qing Hua, and very expensive to build it. Bad advertising  and high building costs killed it forever.
Nevertheless, bias has to be checked, otherwise it can be very hot (measured at 40W/8 Ohms in class A). The other interest of it is that you can change modules in it. Qing Hua sent to me new design ones for nothing but upgrade...
At last, with audio-gd items, burn-in is very very long to achieve.... Do prefer a symmetric connection to single-ended according to Yulong DA8 conception. 

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #293 of 1,613
Is it possible to use the built-in headphone amplifier while at the same time sending a fixed signal out of the RCA or XLR outputs to another amp?

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #294 of 1,613
Is it possible to use the built-in headphone amplifier while at the same time sending a fixed signal out of the RCA or XLR outputs to another amp?

Nope, if you use the headphones amp the RCA and XLR will be variable. Volume control is the internal one of the DAC chip. It affects all outputs. The only way to get these outputs with fixed signal is switching to pure DAC mode without HP amp.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #295 of 1,613
Nope, if you use the headphones amp the RCA and XLR will be variable. Volume control is the internal one of the DAC chip. It affects all outputs. The only way to get these outputs with fixed signal is switching to pure DAC mode without HP amp.

This. Though I'll add that I'm not quite sure why you'd even need both at the same time. When I use the DA8 in a speaker rig, I disable the pre feature and run full scale to a Parasound Halo amp. Then if I want some headphone action, I plug in, press the volume knob to activate volume control, and I'm all set. I really can't think of a situation where I'd need both at the same time.

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #296 of 1,613

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured but I didn't know for sure.

This. Though I'll add that I'm not quite sure why you'd even need both at the same time. When I use the DA8 in a speaker rig, I disable the pre feature and run full scale to a Parasound Halo amp. Then if I want some headphone action, I plug in, press the volume knob to activate volume control, and I'm all set. I really can't think of a situation where I'd need both at the same time.

So my thinking was that considering the DA8 seems to have a pretty good built-in amp, it might be handy to listen to other cans plugged into my other amps (also connected to the DA8) while at the same time using the built-in amp. I wouldn't need to do that all that often but it might be handy to be able to A/B quickly in that way or for when multiple people are listening. I plan on running my G109 and the Crack simultaneously and just using whichever one works best for the can(s) I'm using. I know you could use all 3 outputs of the DA8 at the same time in variable volume mode but I don't like the idea of having to adjust the other amps for whatever volume level I might need on the DA8. Being able to A/B easily between 3 amps would just be a small plus but the real issue is when I'm listening with a friend or friends. Unless you have multiple identical headphone models, you're going to need a different volume level, and maybe even a different amplifier, for each headphone. The G109 has 2 outputs but I've found that even small differences in impedance and sensitivity, say between the 250 ohm DT880 and the 300 ohm HD 600, are enough to really be a bother when using 2 headphones at once. It would be much nicer to have separate volume control for each person listening and would be even better if you could connect to whichever amplifier might work best with those headphones and be able to listen simultaneously that way. That would still be possible with up to 2 amps, connected to the DA8's 2 outputs, right? Do the RCA and XLR outs work simultaneously at all times or is there a selector for what output(s) are active?

Thanks

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #297 of 1,613

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured but I didn't know for sure.

So my thinking was that considering the DA8 seems to have a pretty good built-in amp, it might be handy to listen to other cans plugged into my other amps (also connected to the DA8) while at the same time using the built-in amp. I wouldn't need to do that all that often but it might be handy to be able to A/B quickly in that way or for when multiple people are listening. I plan on running my G109 and the Crack simultaneously and just using whichever one works best for the can(s) I'm using. I know you could use all 3 outputs of the DA8 at the same time in variable volume mode but I don't like the idea of having to adjust the other amps for whatever volume level I might need on the DA8. Being able to A/B easily between 3 amps would just be a small plus but the real issue is when I'm listening with a friend or friends. Unless you have multiple identical headphone models, you're going to need a different volume level, and maybe even a different amplifier, for each headphone. The G109 has 2 outputs but I've found that even small differences in impedance and sensitivity, say between the 250 ohm DT880 and the 300 ohm HD 600, are enough to really be a bother when using 2 headphones at once. It would be much nicer to have separate volume control for each person listening and would be even better if you could connect to whichever amplifier might work best with those headphones and be able to listen simultaneously that way. That would still be possible with up to 2 amps, connected to the DA8's 2 outputs, right? Do the RCA and XLR outs work simultaneously at all times or is there a selector for what output(s) are active?

Thanks
There is no selector for the choice of balanced or RCA.

Also, not relating to your post, I wanted to add that the DA8>A18>HD800 is ridiculously good. I just cant get over how good it is..

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #299 of 1,613
Cant wait... mine should arrive in 2 weeks... Hopefully this will replace my Concero to Theta Chroma 396 combo. I found the Concero to lack bass and not image as well as the Theta, which is 20 years old btw. But the Concero was more refined up top, yes lacked the dynamics because of the bass. The disadvantage is the Theta top can get unruly and there is no playing hires files. Will try the Concero into the DA8 too.
 This was all on my external speaker setup which is quite good. These: http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/loudspeakers/mmmicroone/
Solid State amp is this: http://www.wellsaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/close2.jpg
Speaker Cables (the bomb!!): http://triodewirelabs.com/american-speaker-cable.html
Plus power cables: http://triodewirelabs.com/audiophile-power-cable-ten-plus.html

Plus my Mac/Hackintosh: http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php
hmm missing anything...
No power conditioners.. though I should have something.. 

Psyched!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back