REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC
Aug 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #181 of 1,613
I kind of think they are for different things...I have an Oppo (the 95) in the lounge, the DA8 is for the head fi set up.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #183 of 1,613
Oppo stuff is really well done, all around performers, but I don't think the 105 (I have one) can quite compete with the DA8 as a pure DAC. Also the DA8 seems better as a preamp, thought I'm not exactly sure why that would be - they both use the internal ESS volume control. 

Oh, and the headphone amp in the DA8 is far better too. But again - Oppo is a killer product!

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #185 of 1,613
Quote:
Have you guys seen this one?

I still dont get putting tubes in DACs, most dac chips want to see something close to zero ohms on the output, and no tube has an input impedance even close to that. I've got nothing against tubes for some things, but in this case they make little sense...

I have been looking at getting an Oppo to use for my next Blu Ray player, since my current, 5 year old pioneer is starting to crap out on some discs for me

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #186 of 1,613

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #187 of 1,613
Meh, tubes in a DAC design can be great when done well, or of course bad when not done well. Wavelength does a great job of it, for example. Those Modwright units wouldn't be my first choice but I have heard a few of them and they do sound really good.

Shopping used? That's a different story. Those modded devices don't really hold their value so well, which is bad for the original customer but good for the next owner. Agon currently has the old Sony S9000ES ($1500 when new, 10+ years ago) with the Platinum Signature Truth mods (which cost a few thousand dollars) selling for $800. That's not a bad deal assuming it's in good shape as far as the drive. 

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #188 of 1,613
Pictures for version 2 of the engineering sample of D8, almost twice the cost of DA8 in China, no news on specification or availability yet.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #189 of 1,613
Looks like the digital section is mostly unchanged from DA8 (though the clock is scratched out), but im seeing significant upgrades in terms of power and regulation (including the USB), and higher quality parts in the I/V stage. Very promising indeed.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #190 of 1,613
Wow. This deserves a separate anticipation thread.

The DA8 is already very impressive. It will be interesting to read the reviews for the D8/A8 once they are released. Given the limited production run, not sure how many units will be out there.

Quote:
Pictures for version 2 of the engineering sample of D8, almost twice the cost of DA8 in China, no news on specification or availability yet.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #191 of 1,613
Quote:
Looks like the digital section is mostly unchanged from DA8 (though the clock is scratched out), but im seeing significant upgrades in terms of power and regulation (including the USB), and higher quality parts in the I/V stage. Very promising indeed.

Yulong gave some information which are very close to your observations:
  1. 2 x 50W toroidal transformer, 1 for digital section and 1 for analog section (DA8 has 1 x 30W only). A few extra regulators.
  2. Some surface mount type components are replaced with through hole ones, to allow use of better components for sound tuning.

Also, D8 will NOT be limited quantity model, but will be made to order in batches by hand, so delivery will take longer time (first batch is already sold out, second batch will be at least year end - it reminds me of HeadAmp.) BTW, A8 will continue to be limited quantity model, as the particular JFET used is end of sales and can't be sourced anymore.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #192 of 1,613
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but there must be more to it than that.

If it's twice the cost hopefully it will include more than an extra torroidal (Plitron?) and more/better regulators. Torroidals and even the best regulators aren't THAT expensive.

Discrete output, output transformers, Femto clocks , exotic film caps, connectors, etc or a really innovative design could justify a 2x price increase.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #193 of 1,613
Quote:

If it's twice the cost hopefully it will include more than an extra torroidal (Plitron?) and more/better regulators. Torroidals and even the best regulators aren't THAT expensive.

Discrete output, output transformers, Femto clocks , exotic film caps, connectors, etc or a really innovative design could justify a 2x price increase.

I'm pretty sure that it will not come with those features as you expected, especially femto clocks, it would be another different design from scratch. I was curious as you, and was seeking for more info about D8 by googling with some keywords in erji.net and Mr YuLong confirmed that (by google translate) D8 will have pretty much the same sonic wise, and performance as the DA8. The differences were involved using luxury materials inside like exotic caps, regulators, extra torroidal trans

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #194 of 1,613
Quote:

Such is the nature of this hobby. Manufacturers can set prices and we'll pay through our nose if there is enough hype built around it. Cost of parts has nothing to do with it, they charge as much as they think they can get away with. Actually, setting a high price is a large part of building up hype, it's a self-perpetuating cycle.

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #195 of 1,613
Not sure about how the pricing will work out, but one look at that enclosure tells me it ain't cheap. The D8 was originally a beefed up version of the D18, and it seemed like a reasonable upgrade in price compared to what was involved. Now it's taken a different direction - double (or nearly double) the DA8 price is significantly more than double the D18 price. I hope it ends up being worth it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back