REVIEW: Yamaha RH5ma
Oct 1, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #16 of 29
Just to answer a few questions:

Amps and source

I did some testing on my HR-2 and modded CE775. Obviously the sound improves when being driven out of that amp in the ways that you would expect. Better soundstage, deeper bass.. so on, so forth. However, it seems just a little silly to me to be matching up a $50 headphone with a $800 amp and a $550 CD player, right?

Most of the testing was carried out just via my iPod.

Elitism?

Part of the reason why I couldn't get to this review is that I had so much other things I have to write about and going on... I didn't really have time to do this review, and it wasn't as important to me as some other things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geise
Just a thought, why do people with high(er) end phones care about what lies below $100? That always seemed odd to me..

I think Geise's question touches on this aspect perfectly.... For me personally, there's always an interest to see just exactly how much performance I can get out for my dollars. It's interesting exploring the lower-end option... it's sort of like, "How little can I spend and still be happy with the sound?"

The problem though, is that I only have so much time in a day, and I already have several higher end headphones that I spend whatever time I have to listen to music with. So just how much of that time am I willing to sacrifice to listen to something with lower quality? Furthermore, how much of that time would I be willing to spend to write about it?

I mean, there's a definite reason and benefit to the community as a whole to try out more lower-end headphones that's worth the money... but just how much time would one really be willing to sacrifice from their high-end equipment to do that?

Anyway, that all sound a little bit like elitism.. but the truth is, if SilentServices hasn't asked me to do this review for him, I would've never even thought about it.... I would've been spending my time doing... something else?

Oct 1, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #17 of 29
i don't think i will be purchasing this headphone any time soon, however, as always i appreciate your willingness to be such an avid contributor to head-fi and the entire internet-audiophile community.

Oct 1, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
Amps and source
I did some testing on my HR-2 and modded CE775. Obviously the sound improves when being driven out of that amp in the ways that you would expect. Better soundstage, deeper bass.. so on, so forth. However, it seems just a little silly to me to be matching up a $50 headphone with a $800 amp and a $550 CD player, right?

Most of the testing was carried out just via my iPod. ...

Right
wink.gif
Thanks for the answer, lindrone. I was merely curious if the review was done using typical setup to cover more realistic listening senario, say a portable using headphone output. It was a great reading!

Oct 1, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27

Question for Jahn:

Why are you using the Ety P-to-S converter with the KSC35s instead of the 75 ohm adapter from Xin? Just curious...

Actually I probably would have gone with the Xin adapter since i loved his right angle mini adapter, and the 75Ohm adapter is also cable-less.

But when my friend wanted my cigar box that i use to keep my cans in to use as an ACTUAL cigar box, that made more sense to me lol. So since he's going to get the supermono with the resistance switch in it anyhow, i just swapped him my box for his adapter. easy peasy. and it works great - goodbye, bloated bass in the KSC-35!

Oh and a note about in-ear stuff. Another scare this week- my wife was using some cheapo-cotton swab in a hotel in milan when the stupid tip popped off in her ear. then she reached in her ear to get it and mistakenly poked it IN her ear canal. she called her boss over and it took a while to get it out with her eyelash tweezers. when i hear about that kind of thing i shudder.

Oct 2, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Actually I probably would have gone with the Xin adapter since i loved his right angle mini adapter, and the 75Ohm adapter is also cable-less.

But when my friend wanted my cigar box that i use to keep my cans in to use as an ACTUAL cigar box, that made more sense to me lol. So since he's going to get the supermono with the resistance switch in it anyhow, i just swapped him my box for his adapter. easy peasy. and it works great - goodbye, bloated bass in the KSC-35!

Oh and a note about in-ear stuff. Another scare this week- my wife was using some cheapo-cotton swab in a hotel in milan when the stupid tip popped off in her ear. then she reached in her ear to get it and mistakenly poked it IN her ear canal. she called her boss over and it took a while to get it out with her eyelash tweezers. when i hear about that kind of thing i shudder.

I've never seen a box of cotton swabs that didn't specifically say not to use them in your ears, they are dangerous for that application in a number of ways, most commonly by causing ear wax blockages. When I was three years old my sister jammed on in my year and tore my eardrum, I have recovered almost completely from that (I don't notice any hearing problems and on my most recent hearing test [3 years ago, at 22 years old] the only difference was that I hear to 17.5khz in my "good" ear and 16.5khz in the injured one).

All that being said, etys are much safer to put in your ear than a cotton swab, I think it is time for you to jump on the bandwagon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SOUND QUALITY
RH5ma's strength is decidedly the way it renders a rich and smooth midrange. The trebles are a little bit light, lacking a bit in extension, but very pleasant and not sibilant. The bass is unimpressive out of the box, but improves appreciably with about 20 to 40 hours of burn-in.

I agree, but having removed the foam and being properly amped, the treble tames itself very nicely through burn in, it's very clear and unveiled (Cough Sr60) and benefits greatly from amping. Indeed the bass improves through usage, mine have about 200 hours, and the bass is excellent. Present, not close to over imposing, clear and tight.

Quote:

Of course, headphone in this price range is all about trade-off, and RH5ma has its own wealth of it. Although RH5ma's clarity is very good during quiet passages, this clarity dissipates as the music composition becomes more complicated.

I listened through the headphone jack of my 80GB iPod, and yes I can see where you're coming from with this remark. But once properly amped, the seperation improves immensely, and the dynamics are increased.

Quote:

CONCLUSION

I guess what it comes down to.. is would I recommend RH5ma for anyone? This is a very, very hard question. I actually preferred RH5ma's sound signature over both HD280 and V6; even though it does get congested from time to time... I would trade that over the harsh grating highs of either HD280 or V6. Also, RH5ma is a little cheaper than the normal street price for V6 and HD280.

I would reccomend these to a newbie in the headphone world, I prefer them to the SR60, though the SR60s have their merits in other applications (Listening to movies, specific genres) The treble and midrange of the RH5Ma far outclasses the SR60. But the general unavailability is a bad point. These were manufactured in the 90s, and I searched everywhere for a pair until I finally found some on eBay for about $55. (I belive the seller s still selling them..)

Jan 3, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
talk about digging up and reviving an old thread! holy cow!
eek.gif

Thanks for noticing, that was something that definitely needed to be posted.
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by OGTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correction, I prefer the SR60s of the RH5ma besides its treble. If the treble wasn't so distorted it would be better than the RH5ma.

I'm still confused. Do you prefer the SR60 or the RH5MA?

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #27 of 29
Ancient thread! But it concerns thy concern.. - RH5MA bethren. How is the yamaha on the trebles? I'm coming from the KSC

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #28 of 29
Hombres, remember when you could compare all kinds of phones at a headphone "tree"? I compared a sony pair with sennheisers, Koss etc. and picked the Sony's back in '87. The sonys had the best overall tonal balance. These Sony's were particularly good if you listen to less than stellar recordings but could still do justice to better ones (still have that Sony pair, mda something, made in japan btw). Well guess what, these Yamaha RH5ma's are the exact same headphone as the Sony's I bought back then. I bought my Yamaha Rh5ma (with the same exact "made in japan" typeface on inside of headband as the sony's) directly from Yamaha's site about 8 years ago for 50 bucks and free shipping. And I have compared these to Grado Sr 80's and sennheiser HD500's. Tonally they fall smack dab in the middle, Grados are brighter, more detailed and least comfy. Sennheiser HD 500 most bass even a bit muddled, and most comfy. The Yamaha enough bass, treble certainly not lacking, good clarity and reasonably comfy. The major minus is no user replaceable parts as with Sennheiser or Grados. After awhile the pleather wears out. When the ear pads wear out, too bad. Sony or Yamaha don't provide or service the pads. Notwithstanding these things get my vote as the ultimate budget "sleeper" headphone.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #29 of 29
I have 4 pair RH5MA Yamaha headphones in my home studio.  After tying several other options these are my favorites.  They work especially well for live drum recording and provide plenty of isolation and are comfortable during long periods of use.  Also they have proven to be quite durable, even when used for out of studio live projects.  For a budget minded musician these headphones are an excellent choice as are any Yahama products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back