Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units)
Feb 17, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #406 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always go for the WA5 LE, that was my "compromise."
tongue.gif

What made you back out of the balanced option?

Main thing for me is that I don't feel like getting everything recabled. For Sennheisers, it's easy because they have detachable cables. For some other headphones, it won't be nearly as easy.

I think the Balancing Act has both the balanced and single ended options. What made you go for the WA5 LE over something like the Zana Deux? I know Woo Audio has excellent service. What audio qualities that you read about drew you to the WA5?

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #407 of 508
I am getting a WA6SE with the Sophia Princess upgrade.

I will be using my WA6SE and HD650 for audio 2ch analog playback, of mainly Blu Ray movies.
I will be connecting to the WA6SE to a Nordost Vishnu Power Cord and a PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner, along with my Pioneer BD-09 that has 8 Wolfson Audio DACS.

I have a MK IV SE now. Do you think there will be a nice improvement and will this new setup be a good match for what I will be using it for?

Thanks,

ss

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #408 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will be using my WA6SE and HD650 for audio 2ch analog playback, of mainly Blu Ray movies.
I will be connecting to the WA6SE to a Nordost Vishnu Power Cord and a PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner, along with my Pioneer BD-09 that has 8 Wolfson Audio DACS.

I have a MK IV SE now. Do you think there will be a nice improvement and will this new setup be a good match for what I will be using it for?

Thanks,

ss

Does it make any difference at this point - if you've already ordered it?

I have no idea how it compares to the MK IV SE - but, I can assure you... you will be very impressed with the WA6 SE + SP Princess.

I have no experience with using it with Blue Ray Movies... but... I would think it will sound great - though, I suppose it could be a bit of "over-kill" using it with movies, in contrast with a great vinyl or SACD/CD set up. I just don't know how the SQ of Blue Ray movies compares to these other great sources - whether you'll notice much difference between the WA6 SE and your MK IV SE with them.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #409 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it make any difference at this point - if you've already ordered it?

I have no idea how it compares to the MK IV SE - but, I can assure you... you will be very impressed with the WA6 SE + SP Princess.

I have no experience with using it with Blue Ray Movies... but... I would think it will sound great - though, I suppose it could be a bit of "over-kill" using it with movies, in contrast with a great vinyl or SACD/CD set up. I just don't know how the SQ of Blue Ray movies compares to these other great sources - whether you'll notice much difference between the WA6 SE and your MK IV SE with them.

Sure It does. Jack seems to be a little backed up, so my unit will not be built for two to three weeks. So I could cancel.

As far as what I am using this unit for, this is uncharted water that I have been playing with.
With my first try at this, using a MK IV SE did make a marked improvement. over using a A/V to plug my HD650s into.
Using a BDP-09 for playback of HD audio that comes on Blu Ray and the fact that the BDP-09 has 8 Wolfson Audio DACS, for use with analog out makes for a very interesting sound track.

It seems that there really is not much to go by. Here or over on AVS were I hang out.

ss

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #410 of 508
You really can't go wrong with WA6SE. You'll love it with the HD650. Also, I remember reading a thread a while back where several people thought WA6 (not SE) was a significant improvement over MK IV SE.

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #411 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really can't go wrong with WA6SE. You'll love it with the HD650. Also, I remember reading a thread a while back where several people thought WA6 (not SE) was a significant improvement over MK IV SE.

That's my thinking also. Plus these are made in the USA.

The MK IV SE is a very nice entry level tube amp and I don't really miss using my 7.1 sound system. But I can't turn my film viewing into a house hold event and if you can't crank up the volume then you loose to much audio and affect.

What you loose when you use headphones is the window shaking and the puffs of air from the sub.
However what you gain with a HP amp and good headphones is the clarity, separation, and at times the three D affect.

And using a A/V unit to plug your headphones into just doesn't cut it.
normal_smile .gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #412 of 508
Quote:

Yes, I think it will be a good match and you will like it. Whether is will be enough improvement in your application to justify the money is less certain. I do think you will appreciate the build quality of the WA6SE, and the glow of the Princess is worth something.
biggrin.gif
I can tell you that the first thing people notice when they come into my library is that tube.

You might benefit from having the second set of inputs. I don't know the rest of your setup, but you would have a place to plug in a DAC later should you decide to add music to the system.

Another benefit of the WA6SE is the separate headphone jacks for high and low impedance. Obviously, you would use the HD650 in the high impedance jack. I suggest investing in a pair of low impedance phones to run from the other jack for those occasions where you want to share the movie. It would not have to be an expensive set.

Edit: I think this is the thread that peanuthead was mentioning. The biggest advantage that I see here is the transformer coupled design vs. OTL that would (in theory) perform better with low impedance phones. That doesn't apply to your case, which is why I am not sure you will hear a huge sound difference.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #413 of 508
I'm going to order a standard WA6 next week. I've been in this hobby for 3 1/2 years, but never paid much attention to amping until recently. The HD650 I just got has made me really want to get my first desktop amp and make sure it is a tube. I have only had two amps, both portable, with the Total AirHead being the more expensive of the two, so I expect to be amazed by the WA6. The HD650 is just not properly driven with the AirHead, because the bass extension is very poor, body is lacking, and the treble is quite strong. It does not sound what I've read the HD650 sounds like, but the WA6 will fix that problem. I also look forward to hearing what my other headphones can do, especially the K701.

Quote:

Sure It does. Jack seems to be a little backed up, so my unit will not be built for two to three weeks. So I could cancel.

Darn, that is too bad. I was hoping for being able to get the amp about 2 weeks after I ordered it. I'll still put my order through, though. The extra wait will make me that much more thankful that I finally got a real amp.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #414 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I

Darn, that is too bad. I was hoping for being able to get the amp about 2 weeks after I ordered it. I'll still put my order through, though. The extra wait will make me that much more thankful that I finally got a real amp.

I'm sorry I mislead you a bit. I looked at my confirmation from Jack, and it said 3 to 4 weeks, maybe sooner.

And yes from what you described about your airheads, my entry level headphone amp that I have now is much better than your airheads. So yes you should be in audio heaven when you get your new Woo.
k701smile.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #415 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost all of the 70's stuff and any of the last bit of production in the 80's was all mixed up. You never really knew who was making the tube and quality really bit the dust, even on the last bit of the WE tubes, which were among the best.

I use the Goldpoint attenuator and have no problem.

Hi John,

What's the model of Goldpoint attenuator you are using in your WA6 and can it be used in WA6SE (I ordered one and told that from Jack it will be shipped within this week
atsmile.gif
)? Any differ in SQ compare with stock Alps?

Thanks,
Danny

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #416 of 508
Oh my, 6 weeks. Well I guess Jack is doing well.

Anybody using these cables? Audioquest - Diamondback Interconnect.

Any recommendation for a rca/rca interconnect cables.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #417 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi John,

What's the model of Goldpoint attenuator you are using in your WA6 and can it be used in WA6SE (I ordered one and told that from Jack it will be shipped within this week
atsmile.gif
)? Any differ in SQ compare with stock Alps?

Thanks,
Danny

With the Goldpoint you get a very clean signal in that the resistors are of a very fine quality so the transparency, for me, is increased. It is a refinement of the sound. You might listen to both and not hear a difference but upon extended listening the difference will be more noticeable. Jack doesn't use Goldpoint but uses DACT, which is more expensive and no better. In fact DACT coppied Goldpoint a number of years back. They both use the same switch but implement it a little differently.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #418 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the Goldpoint you get a very clean signal in that the resistors are of a very fine quality so the transparency, for me, is increased. It is a refinement of the sound. You might listen to both and not hear a difference but upon extended listening the difference will be more noticeable. Jack doesn't use Goldpoint but uses DACT, which is more expensive and no better. In fact DACT coppied Goldpoint a number of years back. They both use the same switch but implement it a little differently.

Thanks John, checked with Goldpoint's website, it should be a Stereo Mini V with SMD, very beautiful.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #419 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks John, checked with Goldpoint's website, it should be a Stereo Mini V with SMD, very beautiful.

That is the one I use.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #420 of 508
Yea I got an email from Jack saying my order, along with quite a few others, was delayed due to a bad parts batch, and it would be another 2+ weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back