Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units)
Feb 12, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #391 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think you have to worry about the light emitted from the tubes. Remember that all these tube glow pics are taken with long exposure/high ISO settings etc and that's why the tubes appear so bright. In reality, the tube glow is hardly anything to keep anyone awake, unless you are listening to music
atsmile.gif

To be honest, the tube glow is so warm it puts me to sleep. I have so many CDs where I have only heard the first three tracks
biggrin.gif

Simon

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #392 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long you guys listen to WA6 continuously? On the site, Jack recommend that it should not over 10hrs. Sometimes, I listen to music and fall asleep. So it may be more 10hrs if I do that.

Many times during the burn-in period, I ran the amp for 12-13 hours continously without incident. It did not seem any hotter at the end of 12 hours than 10 hours. Sometimes I would turn it off after 12 hours, let it cool down for an hour or two, and then run it for another 8-10 hours. It has shown no ill effects.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #393 of 508
One more question. I just got WA6SE from other head-fier. When I tried it at first with Sophia and 6EW7 combo, it worked really fine. When I went back home and tried it again, it couldn't work and I found a fuse was dead. I went to Radshack to get the replacement. just turn it on and the Princess flashed inside!
eek.gif
and a fuse is dead again. -_-"

I don't know what's wrong with it. I connect the WA6SE with Signal Cable power cord. I guess that shouldn't be a problem, isn't it?

-------

EDIT: after changing to another combo, the problem is the Sophia which makes the fuse dead. Everytime I put the Sophia in and turn the amp on, it flashed. I guess I need to contact Jack Wu for the clarification.
frown.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #394 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more question. I just got WA6SE from other head-fier. When I tried it at first with Sophia and 6EW7 combo, it worked really fine. When I went back home and tried it again, it couldn't work and I found a fuse was dead. I went to Radshack to get the replacement. just turn it on and the Princess flashed inside!
eek.gif
and a fuse is dead again. -_-"

I don't know what's wrong with it. I connect the WA6SE with Signal Cable power cord. I guess that shouldn't be a problem, isn't it?

-------

EDIT: after changing to another combo, the problem is the Sophia which makes the fuse dead. Everytime I put the Sophia in and turn the amp on, it flashed. I guess I need to contact Jack Wu for the clarification.
frown.gif

Jack made a change in the design of the SE late last summer to make it compatible with the Princess - changed an inductor or resistor value in each circuit. Earlier designs typically caused a flash in the Princess, which may be what's causing your issue. You may need to return it to him, to be updated.

There's an extensive discussion of the change in one of the Woo Audio 6 threads - maybe this one.

It seems to operate fine with other rectifiers - but, the Princess has different requirements.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #396 of 508
Don't worry. Jack is good on this and you will get the PSU back working perfectly with the Sophia.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #397 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry. Jack is good on this and you will get the PSU back working perfectly with the Sophia.

Yeah...

... that's one of the benefits of buying a Woo Audio amp, which may not always be fully appreciated: their elegant design and construction, and the exceptional customer service... unlike... "some other amps / vendors we know."

Confidence and peace-of-mind are worth a lot!

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #398 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah...

... that's one of the benefits of buying a Woo Audio amp, which may not always be fully appreciated: their elegant design and construction, and the exceptional customer service... unlike... "some other amps / vendors we know."

Confidence and peace-of-mind are worth a lot!

X2 on that.

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #399 of 508
Hello
regular_smile .gif

In my WA6-SE the EML 274B is a little loose in the socket . Do you know how to correct this ?

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #400 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello
regular_smile .gif

In my WA6-SE the EML 274B is a little loose in the socket . Do you know how to correct this ?

You ca find how to fix it easily by yourself in this thread in p.56-57, from post #837 that what sclamb was having the similar problem then solved.

Hope this help.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #401 of 508
Yes, close them pins up a bit and it will grip the tube better. I would only bother doing this if the sound is being affected.

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #402 of 508
Thank you for your replies .
normal_smile .gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #403 of 508
I think I'll just spring for a WA6SE with the upgrades and enjoy it for a few years instead of rushing to go balanced. It's way too much money because on top of the amp, I'll have to get all the headphones recabled. I like what I've been hearing about the WA6SE.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #404 of 508
You could always go for the WA5 LE, that was my "compromise."
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll just spring for a WA6SE with the upgrades and enjoy it for a few years instead of rushing to go balanced. It's way too much money because on top of the amp, I'll have to get all the headphones recabled. I like what I've been hearing about the WA6SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back