Review: Woo Audio WA6 vs. WA6SE (stock units)
Feb 7, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #376 of 508
I made my headphone stand out of plumbing parts
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #377 of 508
nothing wrong with plumbing parts... they're easy to find and very
cheap... and may in fact act as RF shield for the internal wires.

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #378 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nothing wrong with plumbing parts... they're easy to find and very
cheap... and may in fact act as RF shield for the internal wires.

My father owned a hardware store from the late 50's till the end of the 80's. You wouldn't believe all the stock I have in all sorts of plumbing supplies
smily_headphones1.gif
My garage is like a mini hardware store.

Feb 8, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #380 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want the PRAT and dynamics of the 6DE7s, and the soundstage, air and detail of the 6EW7s - try the Raytheon 6EW7s. They have it all when mated with the Sovtek 5U4G ST Rectifier, or the Tung Sol 5U4G for that matter. Or... the RCA 6FD7s have a very similar sound, with a bit more gain.

Great with both the HD650s and D5000s.

And... perhaps... even better yet... are the Mullard 6CY7s - similar to the Raytheon 6EW7s - but with maybe a bit more of everything. Great with Senns, or Denons... but... especially the Senns.

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #381 of 508
I am looking for a great amp to power my ath-w1000. I just tried the trafomatic head one, as an amp a couple of people recomended as being good for these phones.

But it gave hum - lots of it. I still think it must be broken, but the dealer says it is like that.

So my question is will the wa 6se hum or his with low impedance phones.

It sounds like the tonality will answer my quest for musical warm sound with no fatique, but a complete black background is a must before I pay this kind of money!

Thanks for any adwise!
smile.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #382 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a great amp to power my ath-w1000. I just tried the trafomatic head one, as an amp a couple of people recomended as being good for these phones.

But it gave hum - lots of it. I still think it must be broken, but the dealer says it is like that.

It sounds like the tonality will answer my quest for musical warm sound with no fatique, but a complete black background is a must before I pay this kind of money!

Thanks for any adwise!
smile.gif

Mine did not with my ESW10s.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #383 of 508
The WA6 is dead quiet with my low impedance headphones (ATH AD2000, D5000 and HD595)

Quote:

Thanks for any adwise!
smile.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #384 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
filing without taking the screws out may cause more of a mess than
you'd want... if possible, take the screws out one at a time, if
you don't want things falling apart on you, and cut the ends with
a cutting plier and screw it back on... continuing until you've gone
thru all four screws. if you don't want to go thru the hassle, just
use a diagonal cutting plier and go snip the protuding ends from
the top side. the cut piece may jump into the chassis, so take
care to remove it once done. good luck.

Done...

I used a Dremel Tool to grind them down a bit... to allow a better fit with fat bottle tubes.

But... I was very careful to place dual sided tape over the tube sockets, and some tape to block the edges of the opening to prevent filings from getting into the sockets, or on other connections. I also, vacuumed and spray dusted the top and the internal circuits to make sure no fillings remained.

It works fine... with a better fit for fat bottle tubes.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #385 of 508
I am trying to decide between the woo wa6se and the rudistor rpx-33 leaning mostly towards the woo. Bit worried though that the princess might light up the room to much. I listen in the bedroom while my whife and daughter sleeps and don't want to disturbe them too much.

My only prior experience with tubes is the trafomatic and it's tubes are small, but what about the princess?
Would you say it lights up more ore less than a candle?

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #386 of 508
It is not enough light to cause a shadow, so maybe even less than a candle. It is a lot less than a night light.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #387 of 508
Quote:

I am trying to decide between the woo wa6se and the rudistor rpx-33 leaning mostly towards the woo. Bit worried though that the princess might light up the room to much. I listen in the bedroom while my whife and daughter sleeps and don't want to disturbe them too much.

Forgive me, but I personally think the last (and probably weirdest) thing you should be factoring in as a make-or-break criterion in choosing an amp, is whether the tube lights up the room too much!

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #388 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive me, but I personally think the last (and probably weirdest) thing you should be factoring in as a make-or-break criterion in choosing an amp, is whether the tube lights up the room too much!

This guy is being considerate of others, I don't think it's weird at all.

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #389 of 508
I dont think you have to worry about the light emitted from the tubes. Remember that all these tube glow pics are taken with long exposure/high ISO settings etc and that's why the tubes appear so bright. In reality, the tube glow is hardly anything to keep anyone awake, unless you are listening to music
atsmile.gif

Quote:

I am trying to decide between the woo wa6se
and the rudistor rpx-33 leaning mostly towards the woo. Bit worried though that the princess might light up the room to much. I listen in the bedroom while my whife and daughter sleeps and don't want to disturbe them too much.

My only prior experience with tubes is the trafomatic and it's tubes are small, but what about the princess?
Would you say it lights up more ore less than a candle?

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #390 of 508
How long you guys listen to WA6 continuously? On the site, Jack recommend that it should not over 10hrs. Sometimes, I listen to music and fall asleep. So it may be more 10hrs if I do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back