[REVIEW] VSONIC GR07 – Labor of Love
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #111 of 583

Quote:
btw clieos can the fuze v2 support lod in rockbox?
cant seems to find the info but read somewhere that the v1 seems to support lod now

Officially RB doesn't support LOD on Fuze V2 yet. I only have a Fuze V1 and can confirm that it does support LOD since v3.7.1.

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #113 of 583

Quote:
ic. So is there an unoffical support? lol
somehow i read on the forum that someone has managed to get lineout with volume turned to max
somehow reminds me of the cowon d2

Well the line-out on Fuze is an actually hardware line-out. The 'line-out' on D2 isn't, regardless of what some like to call it. This had been explained on other Fuze's thread and I don't want to repeat it here.

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #114 of 583
ya i know about the hardware line-out. and also about the d-2 just that the need to use max volume reminded me of that hope they can resolve the issue with the v2 line out.
after burning in for around 55hrs, these are starting to sound better.

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #115 of 583
Just got these little babies! The housing is smaller then i suspected, but photos deceive all the time right :) So i put them in my ears and damn, they really are quite well rounded! Ive been going through a few different genres and they seem to do pretty damn well with all of them. No complaints on my end at all! Excellent Price to Performance.

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #116 of 583
Mine too arrived today.. and from the first 10 seconds I put them in, I was THOROUGHLY impressed.  Immediately, what jumped out to me was the layered presentation.  It's really quite something I noticed before anything else.  Next, the texturing superb nature made itself known.  ClieOS nailed what this phone is about in his review, and in my opinion, he was being modest.

A few words about the hardware.. stock tips were perfectly fine for me.. I love the sturdy silver cable, strain reliefs are excellent, chin slider is smooth.  Ear guides track the cable effortlessly.. like a Neandrathal, I accidentally snapped one of them (but wans't planning on using the guides anyways).  No complaints whatsoever from me when it comes to build quality.  I'm a huge fan of the rotatable nozzle too.. I wish more manufacturer's would incorporate this.  Once inserted, the phones are very comfortable too.

I'm just completely mesmerized by the GR07 at the moment.  I literally love everything about it so far.. it reminds me a lot of the famed Fischer Audio 003's I listen to on a nightly basis while borrowing some of my favorite traits from the DBA.  The GR07 shares with the 003 a terrific neutrality, smoothness, detail, and soundstage, and borrows from the DBA hints of its mid-range crispness, detail, and speed.  I was wrestling between this & the 262.. reading all the reviews of the 262 & hearing these.. I'm very content with my decision to go with the VSonic's & I definitely feel like I made the right choice.  These probably handle a wider variety of music better than the 262, do not need an amp to sound great (unamped out of my 3GS, they were excellent), and their end-to-end extension is probably more accurate than the 262

While the 003 might retrieve slightly more detail, the GR07 trumps the 003 in presenting the layered nature of instruments, vocals, and sounds.  It's downright addictive and quite apparent in ANYTHING you listen to.  There's so much I want to say about this phone but don't feel like I can really describe it well.. I just flat out enjoy the HELL out of them.. from a technical standpoint or otherwise.

One thing I disagree w/ ClieOS about.. I find these phones to actually be VERY engaging from their initial listen.  The fact that they aim for neutrality but possess a very musical and engaging signature makes them, to me, one of the most impressive phones I've ever heard.  Phones that can remain neutral while still lively and musical are truly the gems, IMO.  As widely noted, they're amongst the least-fatiguing phones I've ever heard.  While they fall on the slightly warmer side of neutral, the lean never feels too thick to where it muddies up details & timbre in the midrange and there is no midbass hump to be found whatsoever.  In this way, the warmth is "felt" much more than actually heard, if that makes sense.  It's so airy and well controlled that the midrange really puts on a show, IMO.  The treble & bass perfectly buoy the midrange, which is neither forward or recessed, creating a very balanced, easy-on-the-ears sound signature.  But when a track or album calls for detail or crunch, the GR07 seemed up to the task.

Re: genre friendlyness.. there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said.. these tackle everything that's thrown out them with a nuanced effortlessness that's really impressive.  Tool's Parabola sounded arresting.. in a beautiful way.. my favorite hip hop album of this year (and probably favorite album regardless of genre), Oneirology (by the CunninLynguists) sounded majestic with the GR07.. it's about as close to Pink-Floyd inspired hip hop as it gets and it's truly something else w/ the GR07.  Layers upon layers presented with such detail and accuracy that I just hit repeat and want to dissect away.  DnB was so hypnotizing.. soundstage was something else with well recorded material.  Pop, jazz, and funk also sounded excellent with them.  

The GR07 have made me stash my 003's away for sometime cause I find them so awesome.  They sound fantastic with a transparent amp.. run through my Arrow, they're an excellent pair which benefit from a tighter bass response and more definition & depth across the spectrum.

For DBA owners, I'll make it simple : BUY THE GR07.  Very complimentary yet neutral at the same time.  The GR07 certainly has more bass quantity & it's better textured on the GR07, but again.. remains neutral in response.  The DBA is obviously a brighter phone, but the GR07 has just the right amount of sparkle and treble presence for me (and I love the DBA's treble).. it isn't presented the way the DBA presents treble, but I wasn't expecting it to.  As a DBA lover, I can safely say the GR07's treble, when taken into account how it blends with the rest of the frequencies, is quite sufficient for me.

Bottom line, I'm LOVING these phones and the fact they garnered ClieOS' "Sonic Diamond" rating is COMPLETELY APPROPRIATE... these are true titans in their price range as well as a step above.

Thanks for the review, ClieOS, I don't think I would've caught wind of these if it wasn't for you.

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #117 of 583
Just collected from the post office. Pretty damn impressive straight out of the box. While the 262's bass is pretty well presented, it sometimes leave me wanting more. GR07 solved this, bass quantity is slightly more than 262 while not being excessive, just the right amount I want it (bass reminds me of my um3x which i have sold). Highs extend well sounding sweet with nice sparkle however the way it is presented is quite different from re0. Upper mids however is not as smooth as I want it. Hopefully burn in continues to improve the sound.

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #119 of 583
Flysweep i actually have nothing to say after reading your Post!! You nailed everything and i mean EVERYTHING! On the head! I hear exactly the same things as you! The sound is quite unreal straight out of the box and if these things get better i will probably fall face first onto the floor! The sound is very transparent, the mids are to die for. In a way they actually remind me of the DBA a little but in no way as bright/brittle sounding! The bass texturing is definitely a few steps higher then the DBA, but i feel the impact maybe on the same level if not a step lower.

I actually have the 262's on the way, seeing as these were both a steal i thought why the hell not :) I may have some trouble keeping all 3, but i will spend the next month swapping back and forth until i decide! Oh how i love affordable IEM's.

*EDIT*

Oh geeze! Listenen to Phil Collins! Makes me wanna break out and groove around my room!

*2nd EDIT*

Ok totally posting again even though i shouldnt! If these continue to impress me like this then my dba's will be up for sale in the coming days! I changed to some metalcore... Parkway Drive to be exact and the double kick sounds fecking amazing! As does the bass guitar! Wow usually this cd sounds a bit mashed together. But the soundstaging/instrument seperation on these is amazing!

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #120 of 583

Quote:
Thanks for the review, ClieOS, I don't think I would've caught wind of these if it wasn't for you.

I actually waited 3 years for the GR07 to hit the store, and it is totally worth it. Given the other IEM (j-Phonic K2 SP, if you are interested) which shares the same sound signature and actually sounds a bit better than GR07 is almost 2.7x the price, I would think VSONIC has done a superb job on this IEM. I still love my RE262 fed by Stepdance as the ultimate portable rig, but for daily usage, GR07 + C30 is almost my de facto on-the-go choice (that and of course the K2 SP as well), just couldn't get enough of those sub-bass kick!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back