[REVIEW] VSONIC GR07 – Labor of Love
Mar 29, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #121 of 583
Thanks to you Tai... My DBA's are now up for sale!
beerchug.gif

Quote:

I actually waited 3 years for the GR07 to hit the store, and it is totally worth it. Given the other IEM (j-Phonic K2 SP, if you are interested) which shares the same sound signature and actually sounds a bit better than GR07 is almost 2.7x the price, I would think VSONIC has done a superb job on this IEM. I still love my RE262 fed by Stepdance as the ultimate portable rig, but for daily usage, GR07 + C30 is almost my de facto on-the-go choice (that and of course the K2 SP as well), just couldn't get enough of those sub-bass kick!

beerchug.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #122 of 583
I have been contemplating whether to get these ever since Tai reviewed them, and I finally bit the bullet yesterday. I would have to say out of the box they are amazing, and I had to stop myself and wonder if it was psychological due to all the good reviews.

Well, NO. These phones are unbelievable. Though like Tai mentioned they aren't "wow", the sound is just something you can't fault. One problem though, the vocals sound abit harsh at the higher frequencies, so I hope when I reach the 100 hour mark they will get better (am at 14 hours now..)

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #123 of 583
Yep, the treble will sound a bit edgy at first. But once you give it enough burn-in, it will smooth out. I won't say it will become totally smooth. There will still be a little edge left to give the vocal just a hint of crispiness.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #124 of 583
I'd like to congratulate everyone on this thread for making me part with some of my wallet's content to get one of those :)

I've dithered a lot about this, but in the end, the form factor, build quality and promises of non-fatiguing yet detailed sound won me over. Plus the fact that unlike the RE-262, it doesn't look like it needs an amp. 'Twas a hard choice, but that last item clinched it.

I'll give my impressions when they come in (couple of weeks, according to the seller's ETA)

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #125 of 583
For those wondering about how fatiguing they are.. right out of the box yesterday, I wore them for 8 hours STRAIGHT listening to music.. and still didn't want to take them out when I was getting ready to go to sleep.. they're damn comfortable, don't require ultra-deep insertion to get a good seal/sound quality, and practically disappear when they're inserted (and you're using the correct tips).

I have to reiterate how great these things handle ANY genre thrown at them.  That to me is a big deciding factor before purchasing.  When I can go from listening to Mofro's Georgia Warhorse and be blown away by the details & timbre of the vocals & guitar work.. to DJ Krush's "Stepping Stones".. an atmospheric, hypnotic, bass-laced, sonic journey through ethereal sounds and vibes.. and be equally stunned.. I know I've got something very special in the GR07.  I'm listening to Thunderball's 12 Mile High album right now and it's truly ear candy.. it's NEVER sounded so good!  The quality and well rounded nature of the bass is something I marvel at with every track.  Everything sounds like it's in such balance & harmony.. no frequency feels spiked our unnaturally enhanced.. Vsonic truly achieved some kind of Zen-like balance with these phones.

I simply can't rave enough about how awesome these phones present the layers of instruments/sounds in music.  It makes picking out details that much more fun.  The timbre is equally impressive.. especially across the midrange & bass.  Reading that these were leaning on the warmer side of neutral, timbre accuracy was one of my concerns.. the GR07 faithfully dispatched that notion within the first 6 or 7 hours of listening.

While some phones present instrument separation as spatial points, the GR07 take that and add an almost planar dimension to the presentation.. if one imagines the layers of instruments in music like layers of a pie.. the GR07 allows you to observer each layer with such ease.

And, for me.. they're definitely "WOW" worthy.. many of us are so used to hearing colored phones tilting sound one way or another.. that when we sometimes hear a phone which aims to achieve neutrality in a highly refined, articulate manner.. it gets characterized as "boring".  Au contraire, friends!  I'm in ClieOS' camp 100% when he says the true test of a phone is it's ability to handle the rigors of stage use.. neutral, detailed, non-fatiguing.  Pull that off in spades, it makes me say/hear WOW. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #126 of 583

Great review ClieOS and excellent impressions flysweep! 

Has anyone in Canada ordered these yet? How bad were customs charges? Does lendmeurears.com mark it as a gift?

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #127 of 583
I do think he marks it gift. You can email him to confirm and I am sure he won't mind doing so.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #128 of 583
Mmmmm i just received my RE-262's! Damn they sound good aswell! Keeping both the GR07 and 262! The DBA's are going bye bye!

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #130 of 583
Mmmmm i just received my RE-262's! Damn they sound good aswell! Keeping both the GR07 and 262! The DBA's are going bye bye!

Comparisons, please!  I don't think anyone could convince me (or my wallet) to shell out for the 262s after being glued to the 07s for the past two days.. but nevertheless, I'm very curious as to how they sound.. esanthosh PM'ed me a great, detailed back-&-forth (and nailed the 07 on the head too), but more opinions the better.. thanks, Townyj..

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #131 of 583
Both of these are quite similar to a degree, all in all i dont think they arent as clear sounding as the GR07. Personally i dont think it would be worth shelling out another $150+ for these, they arent as comfortable and the cable picks up more microphonics. There seems to be more space between instruments with the GR07 for fast music, where as the 262 struggles more. I think ClieOS summed up his review quite well. Out of all 3 IEMs i definitely prefer the GR07 by quite a margin. Just sounds more natural and spacious!

The GR07 has made my jaw drop and given me shivers more then any other IEM i have ever owned. The 262 has yet to excite me although i do dig the sound they produce. Im not jumping to a conclusion just yet. I shall hopefully do a more indepth comparison soon after more listening time.

Quote:
Comparisons, please!  I don't think anyone could convince me (or my wallet) to shell out for the 262s after being glued to the 07s for the past two days.. but nevertheless, I'm very curious as to how they sound.. esanthosh PM'ed me a great, detailed back-&-forth (and nailed the 07 on the head too), but more opinions the better.. thanks, Townyj..

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #132 of 583

Quote:
Anyone have any idea where I can get the Sony Hybrids in Singapore? Am having some isolation issues with the provided silicone tips that came with the GR07s.

You can try Sony Style. Some time they stock it as replacement parts. Tell them you lost the 'earbuds on your EX700 and like to get replacement parts for it. Not cheap though, the real stuff is more expensive than the clone one on eBay.

Quote:
The GR07 has made my jaw drop and given me shivers more then any other IEM i have ever owned. The 262 has yet to excite me although i do dig the sound they produce. Im not jumping to a conclusion just yet. I shall hopefully do a more indepth comparison soon after more listening time.

The thing about RE262 is that it is more picky on source / amp. If you can get the synergy just right, it sounds great. If it isn't perfect, then GR07 has the upper hand - though neither really sound bad from a decent source.

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #133 of 583

Quote:

I don't have the RE-262 to compare right now. I hate comparing from memory, because I don't have great faith in my auditory memory. But, I'll go ahead and do it anyway --

1. Bass of RE-262 does not extend as much. Both are tight, but GR07 has much more impact and extension. I suspect GR07 also would have a tad more quantity.
  2. Mids of RE-262 are more forward. In comparison, GR07's mids are placed just a tad behind, though not recessed.
  3. Treble of GR07 is more forward than RE-262, but I am not sure by what margin. But, I think GR07 is better in this region.
  4. With Sound stage, RE-262 was a bit more open. RE-262 lacks air in the presentation, which makes music feel a bit congested at times. GR07 has an expansive sound stage as well, but with much more clearly demarcated separation.
  5. Just technically speaking, RE-262's driver tends to be loud and clear (and to me, one of the best I've heard though I am not a technical person normally). Even the faintest sound can be heard clearly, but also with presence of good dynamic range - especially good for Classical music where it starts with the quietest part and crescendos into a complex part. GR07 has good clarity through out, but not as loud.
  6. It's the coloration that makes a great difference. RE-262 is focused on the mids with support role played by bass and cameo played by treble. GR07 does not focus on one thing. If any, it can be accused of having a slight tilt towards bass and mids.
  7. RE-262 tends to smooth and iron out details a bit, which is not the case with GR07. GR07 is well detailed in comparison, though to me, not the most micro-detailed. RE-262 also tends to have a slightly hearty note (though not thick), I can only call GR07's notes more rounded than thick or thin.
  8. Here's how I'd characterize - RE-262 is mid focused and GR07 is more balanced in relation. Both are fatigue-free in their own ways - RE262 more by way of a focused, forward, smooth midrange. GR07 is definitely the better all rounder here.
  9. I can't say for sure which one I'd have picked if I had both. GR07 is tuned more for my liking than RE-262. But, RE-262 had a few specialties. Such things are settled by A/B.

I am not great at using terms (which if wrong will be corrected by others soon
wink.gif
). Hope this helps!

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #135 of 583

Quote:
You can try Sony Style. Some time they stock it as replacement parts. Tell them you lost the 'earbuds on your EX700 and like to get replacement parts for it. Not cheap though, the real stuff is more expensive than the clone one on eBay.

Tai, which do you usually use? The real ones or the ebay ones?

If you do use the ebay ones do you have any recommended links?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back