Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Mar 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #391 of 828
Quote:
go easy and cautious, u don't wanna screw up something,

what do u use balanced or rca interconnects

i guess both of your devices are still stock

there is a big difference just between using rca or balanced interconnects at stock

balanced. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #392 of 828
Can anyone please explain what "Lifting grounds" means? Electronic english isn't my native language :)
On a side note, does that even matter if the V800 isn't used with the V200?

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #393 of 828
Sling5s, I am with you ......Volume Pots is not my native language...I appreciate Roskodan's input...but...Rosko..think Volume Pot's for Dummies. LOL!..I have both the V200 and V800 and love them. Photo  that I took of my stack here if anyone is interested:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FybpQdmxxU4/UREHqr6JLAI/AAAAAAAAAYc/LC4CK19W5UE/s949/Violectric+Stack.jpg
(Visual is my native language...not sound or electric! LOL!)
I am running my stack off of a Mac via USB. In real life I run them side-by-side (i.e. UNstack, LOL. They serve as a base for my 2nd graphic monitor, (I apologize Violectric).  I have balanced connectors that I made myself (in visual red!!!), to the perfect sizes for the units being side by side (so I am somewhat capable!).
see here:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XhsRYZyUNPM/UTygBLBFiNI/AAAAAAAAAdw/M6Vx9CgLH_Y/s944/Violectric+Wiring.jpg
I am using Amara (with equalizer set to Audeze) and plugging a set of Audeze LCD-2 into all of this at the V200.....I am very happy with the sound...but we all want MORE! 
So...I am going to pull out my Violectric instruction manual today and read up on this change possiblity and include Rosko's precise instructions into my manual for taking the unit apart....but here is my question...
actually two:
1. Will I be able to truly hear a meaningful change in the sound?...(I know that is a subjective topic)
2. When Violectric ups the rate with the new model..is it truly worth sending my units back for the update as it will make a meaningful change in the sound..( I am guessing I will have to do some changes at my source as well to actually gain the advantage here, too. Right? (I have no idea what the change needed there would be either).
This is all fun and thanks for all of the help and just being here for this discussion everyone!

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #394 of 828
Sorry, what update are we talking about here? I know the V800 had several very minor updates over the years but I'm not sure they are SQ related. Can anyone confirm what "updates" we are talking about? The ground lift is a simple user adjustment and doesn't require shipping back to Violectric.

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #395 of 828
Quote:
1. Will I be able to truly hear a meaningful change in the sound?...(I know that is a subjective topic)
2. When Violectric ups the rate with the new model..is it truly worth sending my units back for the update as it will make a meaningful change in the sound..( I am guessing I will have to do some changes at my source as well to actually gain the advantage here, too. Right? (I have no idea what the change needed there would be either).
This is all fun and thanks for all of the help and just being here for this discussion everyone!

1. i would say that the difference in sound between just connecting your v800 to the v200, both at stock, via rca vs balanced, is clearly perceived, if you don't sense any meaningful change than don't bother, leave everything stock

2. well if they change only the usb chip, pcb, to add 192kHz support, than you are probably better off with just switching your digital connection to your macs optical or coax out

edit: looking at your photos, are your v200 gain dip switches rised to +6dB? because when i say v200 stock i mean all dip switches lowered, 0dB gain, while this may actually not be the stock setting, that how i use it all lowered, that would be 0dB gain

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #396 of 828
Project 86.. Sorry...I may not have been clear (as I have difficulty grasping the hardware and electrical theory here)..my comment is in reference to Fried's discussion of a USB 24/192 solution that is currently in the works at Violectric.

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #397 of 828
Rosko...thanks for that suggestion in 1. above..I never listened to my Violectric stack via having them connected with RCA cables....so I will try doing that and switching back to my balanced connections and see if I am able to perceive a sonic difference...

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #398 of 828
Quote:
Project 86.. Sorry...I may not have been clear (as I have difficulty grasping the hardware and electrical theory here)..my comment is in reference to Fried's discussion of a USB 24/192 solution that is currently in the works at Violectric.

I see, thank you for clarifying. I haven't spoken with Fried about it but I would think he could easily handle the task - there are far more asynchronous USB chipsets capable of 24/192 than there where when V800 was first designed. Back then there was essentially the TAS1020B with licensed Streamlength code from Wavelength Audio. That was the only option (that I'm aware of). Now there is the XMOS, VIA, Cypress, Tenor, and probably some others that I'm forgetting, all available at reasonable prices.   

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #399 of 828
Quote:
I was thinking of picking up a v800 on the secondary market, but a lot of them are located in countries that uses 230-220v power.

Since I am in the USA (120v mains) I was wondering if the V800's power supply is able to handle both voltages.  Looking at pictures on the Violectric and the USA distributor's website seems to indicate that the v800 can support both.  PDF manuals for the v800, however, seem to indicate that there may be 2 different versions depending on mains power.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

In case anyone is wondering; I heard back from Fried here is his response:

Quote:
[size=small]Hello -----,[/size]

[size=x-small]because of sonic reasons our V800 uses a toroidal transformer for 115 or 230 V AC instead of a switchmode supply which can be operated worldwide.[/size]

[size=x-small]So, you should change the AC voltage inside V800.[/size]

[size=x-small]Please note:[/size]
[size=x-small]operating a 230 Volt device in a 115 Volt environment is not[/size] [size=x-small]dangerous at all.[/size]
[size=x-small]In most cases the divice will refuse to work properly.[/size]
[size=x-small]Operating a 115 Volt device in a 230 Volt environment will burn the fuse but there will be no other damages (concerning Violectric grar !!) [/size]

[size=x-small]Finally there are two ways to proceed:[/size]

[size=x-small]First, read the attached instruction to change the mains voltage.[/size]
[size=x-small]It is relatively easy when you are not scared to use a screw driver and a soldering iron.[/size]

[size=x-small]Second, use a step-up converter like this: [/size] [size=x-small]http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource-STU-100-Voltage-Transformer-Converter/dp/B0022TSC5C/ref=sr_1_26?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362989552&sr=1-26&keywords=step-up+transformer[/size]

[size=x-small]I hope I could help,[/size]

[size=x-small]best regards[/size]

[size=x-small]Fried[/size]

He also was kind enough to include a step by step document (including pictures!) of how to change the voltage.  The instructions are listed for v100/v200, but I assume it's the same process for the v800 which I have taken the liberty of attaching. 

GREAT Customer SERVICE!

Fried - If you are reading this and wish for me to remove this info please inform me.  Thanks.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #400 of 828
Quote:
Rosko...thanks for that suggestion in 1. above..I never listened to my Violectric stack via having them connected with RCA cables....so I will try doing that and switching back to my balanced connections and see if I am able to perceive a sonic difference...

i've been playing with the combo, i must say i'm really impressed the way the various combinations of combining settings between the v800 and v200 can change the nature of the sound given

my sweet spots so far are (biggest difference between settings felt with my t1 and se530, a little less with my hd650, expecting lcd2r2 in a couple of days)

1. v200 at 0dB gain (dip switch setting, not pot) paired to v800 balanced out at 12dBu (dip switch setting, not pot, pot always at max), for a sound with more body, depth, warmth, more spectacular

2. v200 at 0dB gain paired to v800 balanced out at 15dBu for a more tight impact, fast, technical, neutral sound

you can go with a higher or lower gain or dBu setting, the lower the warmer, the higher the dryer

however just changing the dBu level out of the v800 leaving the v200 at 0dB gain is best to avoid harsh and bloated sound

Quote:

A huge +1

For me lifting grounds on both the V200/800 and the low pass filter on the V200 volume pot made the most significant improvements sonically....

switched to dc operation and i can say that the bass sub bass region really gets more controlled, higher definition, actually i kind feel the whole specter feels more balanced, the mids and highs more lively sounding

the combo can really adapt to great extent

the change in sound is really consistent, compared at matched levels, i'm really loving it

to all those that have the combo, mess with the settings, you'll be impressed too!

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #401 of 828
Sorry for the shameless plug but thought I'd put it in this thread that I'm trying to sell my V800 DAC.

It is a fantastic DAC which I bought to pair with a V100 and HD650 but have since moved on to an LCD3/BHA-1 and am looking to get another DAC, specifically the BDA-2. The HD800 and LCD2r2 both have excellent synergy with a V800/V100/V200 stack too.

Link to my sale thread here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/648778/violectric-v800-dac-price-dropped-yet-again#post_9233673

:)

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #402 of 828
Do you find the V800 does not synergize with the LCD3/BHA1?

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #403 of 828
Only if I saw your post a month a go.  good luck. 
Quote:
Sorry for the shameless plug but thought I'd put it in this thread that I'm trying to sell my V800 DAC.

It is a fantastic DAC which I bought to pair with a V100 and HD650 but have since moved on to an LCD3/BHA-1 and am looking to get another DAC, specifically the BDA-2. The HD800 and LCD2r2 both have excellent synergy with a V800/V100/V200 stack too.

Link to my sale thread here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/648778/violectric-v800-dac-price-dropped-yet-again#post_9233673

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back