Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Mar 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #376 of 828
Quote:
wait till u get to mess with the ground settings
deadhorse.gif

A huge +1

For me lifting grounds on both the V200/800 and the low pass filter on the V200 volume pot made the most significant improvements sonically....

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #377 of 828
Spkrs01...can you explain this in more detail?...
"For me lifting grounds on both the V200/800 and the low pass filter on the V200 volume pot made the most significant improvements sonically...."

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #378 of 828
Quote:
Spkrs01...can you explain this in more detail?...
"For me lifting grounds on both the V200/800 and the low pass filter on the V200 volume pot made the most significant improvements sonically...."

It takes about 25-30 mins to do for both units....it is all in the instruction manual.

A cleaner, more detailed signal, especially micro dynamics seems to be the result of lifting the grounds, and the low pass filters allow a more textured and deeper bass with better bloom.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #379 of 828
Sorry but I'm really technically stupid but, if it's technically better, why doesn't it already come this way?
Does it have any negative affects or down side?

Quote:

It takes about 25-30 mins to do for both units....it is all in the instruction manual.

A cleaner, more detailed signal, especially micro dynamics seems to be the result of lifting the grounds, and the low pass filters allow a more textured and deeper bass with better bloom.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #380 of 828
Quote:
Sorry but I'm really technically stupid but, if it's technically better, why doesn't it already come this way?
Does it have any negative affects or down side?

If you have the pair, V200/V800 then there's no down side.

My personal position is rather than asking, why it didn't come this way, is to ask, why is this available as an user option?! Like you, I am technically inept and was highly recommended by the Hong Kong distributor. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #381 of 828
I guess I assumed it comes to preference and benefits and cost to the mod.
But if it has no down side.  I should read up.  But kind of scared to touch a $2500 investment.

Quote:

If you have the pair, V200/V800 then there's no down side.

My personal position is rather than asking, why it didn't come this way, is to ask, why is this available as an user option?! Like you, I am technically inept and was highly recommended by the Hong Kong distributor. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #382 of 828
I was thinking of picking up a v800 on the secondary market, but a lot of them are located in countries that uses 230-220v power.

Since I am in the USA (120v mains) I was wondering if the V800's power supply is able to handle both voltages.  Looking at pictures on the Violectric and the USA distributor's website seems to indicate that the v800 can support both.  PDF manuals for the v800, however, seem to indicate that there may be 2 different versions depending on mains power.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #383 of 828
Quote:

A huge +1

For me lifting grounds on both the V200/800 and the low pass filter on the V200 volume pot made the most significant improvements sonically....

actually for me the most significant changes are felt while playing with the gain combinations on both the v800 and v200, balanced and single ended,

Quote:
I was thinking of picking up a v800 on the secondary market, but a lot of them are located in countries that uses 230-220v power.

Since I am in the USA (120v mains) I was wondering if the V800's power supply is able to handle both voltages.  Looking at pictures on the Violectric and the USA distributor's website seems to indicate that the v800 can support both.  PDF manuals for the v800, however, seem to indicate that there may be 2 different versions depending on mains power.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

two different versions, however if u r confident with reterminating the transformer u could convert either

Quote:
I guess I assumed it comes to preference and benefits and cost to the mod.
But if it has no down side.  I should read up.  But kind of scared to touch a $2500 investment.

and there is no in depth instruction on how to open the devices in the manual, i was super careful, and noticed it can be a little tricky for someone who's not accustomed,

first turn off and unplug the power mains cables and all the other cables as well

for the v800 one should first remove the metal cylinder of the volume pot and the nut underneath it, that holds the pot to the case,
than the two hex, upper left and right screws on the front panel
than the four corners hex screws from the back panel
than slide the back panel (the pcb on which it's screwed on comes along) straight out about 5mm
than lift the upper cover starting from the back

for the v200 lift the two hex, upper left and right screws on the front panel
than slide the back panel (the pcb on which it's screwed on comes along) straight out about 5mm (not more cos there's a patch cable holding the pcb to the pot and the front panel)

enjoy messing with all the configurable settings

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #384 of 828
Quote:
actually for me the most significant changes are felt while playing with the gain combinations on both the v800 and v200, balanced and single ended,

two different versions, however if u r confident with reterminating the transformer u could convert either

and there is no instruction on how to open the devices in the manual, i was super careful, and noticed it can be a little tricky for someone who's not accustomed,

first turn off and unplug the power mains cables and all the other cables as well

for the v800 one should first remove the metal cylinder of the volume pot and the nut underneath it, that holds the pot to the case,
than the two hex, upper left and right screws on the front panel
than slide the back panel (the pcb on which it's screwed on comes along) straight out about 5mm

for the v200 lift the two hex, upper left and right screws on the front panel
than slide the back panel (the pcb on which it's screwed on comes along) straight out about 5mm (not more cos there's a patch cable holding the pcb to the pot and the front panel)

enjoy messing with all the configurable settings

To take the covers off, instructions are in the manual, in my ones at least.  However, your instructions are perfect and better than the manuals
size]

Matching gain is pretty straight forward. Have the volume pot on the V200 at between 12-3 o'clock when listening. If you can achieve this without touching the pre gain settings all the better! 

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #385 of 828
Do you mean, you have the gain of the v200 at 3pm and adjust the gain of the v800?

Quote:

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #386 of 828
Quote:

To take the covers off, instructions are in the manual, in my ones at least.  However, your instructions are perfect and better than the manuals
size]

Matching gain is pretty straight forward. Have the volume pot on the V200 at between 12-3 o'clock when listening. If you can achieve this without touching the pre gain settings all the better! 

now that u mention there are some, i was expecting illustrations, missed those two lines of text...

Quote:
Do you mean, you have the gain of the v200 at 3pm and adjust the gain of the v800?

no i was referring to the dip switches inside the v800 to adjust the overall output level

... about the gain, i was more referring to the option to combine different overall output levels of the v800, by the dip switches inside it, with the v200

try setting the v800 at different max dBu output levels, both with balanced or single ended connections, leaving the v200 stock 0bB gain,

want a more mellow round liquid, more separated sound, go with a lower v800 output level

want more dry tight detailed sound, slightly more forgiving highs, go with a higher level

those are just first impressions, but u can really change substantially the overall performance to a great extent

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #387 of 828
When you say, v200 stock 0bB gain, do you mean v200 at max volume.

Quote:
roskodan said:

... about the gain, i was more referring to the option to combine different output levels of the v800 with the v200

try setting the v800 at different output levels, both with balanced or single ended connections, leaving the v200 stock 0bB gain,

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #388 of 828
no i was never referring to the volume pots levels of either the v800 or v200

it's all about the dip switches for output level and gain on the v800 inside and v200 on the back, respectively

read the manual, all shall be clear

v800 pot on max always in my case

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #389 of 828
Quote:
no i was never referring to the volume pots levels of either the v800 or v200

it's all about the dip switches for output level and gain on the v800 inside and v200 on the back, respectively

read the manual, all shall be clear

v800 pot on max always in my case

I see.  Totally technically challenged.  
redface.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #390 of 828
go easy and cautious, u don't wanna screw up something,

what do u use balanced or rca interconnects

i guess both of your devices are still stock

there is a big difference just between using rca or balanced interconnects at stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back