Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Sep 28, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #721 of 828
  Hello.

Most of you know that we have to face some problems concerning our 24/192 USB drivers.
We voted for the “Tenor” Chip-Set for our 24/192 USB solution because we had good experience with the 24/96 USB solution from this manufacturer.

“Tenor” seems to be a chips fab, they got no own web site and the only contact to purchase the
silicon is (was) through a company called “GFEC”.
Well, everybody who has the experience knows that dealing with Asian companies is not so easy.
You need at least 10 times more emails than with companies coming from Europe or the USA to deal with them.
But finally we got the chips and also the drivers.

Out of a sudden by the end of 2014 they discontinued the production of the chips and the software support …  
We, as well as many others, had been left outside standing in the rain.    

The current drivers work with Linux, Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, except 8.1  and with all Mac OS except “Yosemite” .

I am glad to report that there is now a working solution for Mac OS-X “Yosemite” that can be downloaded from the VIOLECTRIC web site.

I am sorry to tell that there is still no solution in sight for Windows 8.1

Best regards,

Fried Reim
CEO of Lake People

So this issue is fixed Fried?

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #727 of 828
Yes, I just heard from Violectric on this. It is meant for those who own and are happy with their V800, but could use a refresh on the USB input. This allows them to bump up to more modern USB capabilities with the excellent XMOS solution, rather than buying a whole new v850. It's not everyday you see a company support their "old" products like this.... Especially when it could theoretically cost them a sale from someone upgrading to V850.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #728 of 828

Yes, it's very cool that Fried is doing this.  I never updated my USB input on my V800 to the V2 board, so now I guess is as good a time as any. I'd really like to upgrade to a V850, but I can't really justify it at all.  My V800 has been wonderful.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #729 of 828
For anyone interested, Massdrop has the V800 (v2 model) for a good price. It's got the Tenor async USB which is fine with Linux and Windows but has issues with Mac, so be aware. Still a great buy for the right situation... and it could be upgraded later with XMOS if the owner wants to pay for that. 

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #730 of 828
Hi, I have the Woo Audio WA7d (connected to Sen HD800) and was wondering if a standalone DAC like the V800 (V2) would benefit the quality of the sound? Is it a worthy upgrade? Thanks. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #731 of 828
What revision (usb) of this dac is best for use with win10? Is second revision alright, with the drivers and everything I mean.

Using Fobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back