Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Mar 8, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #631 of 828
That's what i do. except +6db of pre gain with V200. I' don't like resampling effect, so it's always turn off.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #632 of 828
over xlr 0dB pre gain on the v200 is already on the limit for my taste, -6dB is more balanced perhaps, but usually i keep it at 0dB cos feels the most tight and neutral of all the settings

over rca again 0dB pre gain on the v200 feels like the golden mean, and you get to use the pot past 12 o'clock, feels nice to have more headroom

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #633 of 828
I 'm agree with you.0 pre gain sounding more neutral. But for my taste , i prefer more impact at low volume because i'm listening generally at low or mid volume and don't like use volume button over 12'.
I really enjoy my new violectrics...
L3000.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #634 of 828
Hi Roskodan, i've another question about the violectric combo :

what is the factory adjustment inside the V800? I found the power is not so high. With my audio-gd less powerful than v200 it is impossible to adjust the volume beyound eleven on the pot in low mode !!. (the sound is too loud).
At 0db gain on the v200, I am often beyound 12 o'clock. +6 db on the v200 between 10-12 o'clock on the pot. Is it normally work for you ?
I'm plugg in XLR.may be my v800 gain is too smooth, i'll open it this week end to see inside.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #635 of 828
well, you can check but for records that are not loud that should be normal

here are some instructions for opening the devices:
Originally Posted by roskodan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

first turn off and unplug the power mains cables and all the other cables as well

for the v800 one should first remove the metal cylinder of the volume pot and the nut underneath it, that holds the pot to the case,
than the two hex, upper left and right screws on the front panel
than the four corners hex screws from the back panel
than slide the back panel (the pcb on which it's screwed on comes along) straight out about 5mm
than lift the upper cover starting from the back

for the v200 lift the two hex, upper left and right screws on the front panel
than the four corners hex screws from the back panel
than slide the back panel (the pcb on which it's screwed on comes along) straight out about 5mm (not more cos there's a patch cable holding the pcb to the pot and the front panel)
than lift the upper cover starting from the back

in the v800 there are two separate gain dip switch elements (blue) for the right and left channel, both must be set on the same value, default is, 15dBu, all dip switches set to "OFF" (away from "ON"), in the manual the position of each singular dip switch is represented by the black portion, not the white! 

than for both the v800 and v200 there is the main ground jumper, the one beside the power main plug, which can be set to "GND" or "LIFT", by default it's "LIFT"

and for the v200 there are two jumpers on the pot board (for right and left channel and both must be set on the same setting), for AC or DC operation, default it's "AC"

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #636 of 828
Thanks for precious informations Roskodan.
If it's not anormal to blow up volume pot over 12 o'clock for ordinary listening in stock settings (no pre gain) then, it means that my combo seems to work normally.
I think I must gradually learn to use my new material in comparison with the audio-gd which is much more brutal in its response pot volume. V200 is much more progressive than I thought.

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #637 of 828
Hi all...
I remember that I think someone mentioned a while back that we may be able to send our V800's for refitting the USB upgrade...is that still on the plate???
I would of course like to wait and read a review to see if there is a significant improv ant in the sound quality......
Thanks.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #638 of 828
Hi all...
I remember that I think someone mentioned a while back that we may be able to send our V800's for refitting the USB upgrade...is that still on the plate???
I would of course like to wait and read a review to see if there is a significant improv ant in the sound quality......
Thanks.

I seem to recall talk about it being done by the end user - they send you the new board, you swap it out with a few tools and 15 minutes of your time. But you'd have to email and confirm that.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #639 of 828
Thanks Project86.... I thought I remembered some chatter about retro-fitting...but I was not sure...For the time being I am going to wait and see how this develops...I want to see what people think of the USB upgrade when the new V800 is released...then maybe I will pester Fried. :)

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #640 of 828
  well, you can check but for records that are not loud that should be normal

here are some instructions for opening the devices:

in the v800 there are two separate gain dip switch elements (blue) for the right and left channel, both must be set on the same value, default is, 15dBu, all dip switches set to "OFF" (away from "ON"), in the manual the position of each singular dip switch is represented by the black portion, not the white! 

than for both the v800 and v200 there is the main ground jumper, the one beside the power main plug, which can be set to "GND" or "LIFT", by default it's "LIFT"

and for the v200 there are two jumpers on the pot board (for right and left channel and both must be set on the same setting), for AC or DC operation, default it's "AC"

Finally i've down the v800 at +6db and  let v200 at 0db preamp it's the best way with my headphones. With my W3k it's sounding like an end game for me...what a terrific sound !! i'm in love...thanks for your judicious advice Roskodan and all users here
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #641 of 828

I seem to recall talk about it being done by the end user - they send you the new board, you swap it out with a few tools and 15 minutes of your time. But you'd have to email and confirm that.

So your saying this upgrade will be on a new V800?
I just bought the A28 as you mention to me in another forum the D100mk that it might not be enough to bring out all the A28 capablilities.
I'm looking at buying another DAC and i narrow it down to DA8 or V800.
Have you tried the DA8? if so what are your view on it's performance and how does it compare to the V800.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #642 of 828
  So your saying this upgrade will be on a new V800?
I just bought the A28 as you mention to me in another forum the D100mk that it might not be enough to bring out all the A28 capablilities.
I'm looking at buying another DAC and i narrow it down to DA8 or V800.
Have you tried the DA8? if so what are your view on it's performance and how does it compare to the V800.

I assume all new V800 purchases should come with the upgrade, but you'd need to double check before ordering. There may still be an existing stock which has the 24/96 solution.

And yes, I have experience with the Yulong DA8. My review is in my profile. It's a fantastic device, slightly better than the V800 in some ways - though of course the new USB design may bring V800 back into parity. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #643 of 828
Hello everybody.

The new USB 24/192 module for V800 is now in production and can be delivered end of April. 
The USB 24/192 module uses the same input circuitry which can be found on the USB 24/192 module for the headphone amps V100 / V181 and V200.
It is the Tenor TE8022, although this chip is not so high regarded it performs perfect under Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and MAC OS.
Tenor TE8022 also features "asynchronous mode".
This is nice to have but for my opinion not really neccessary as DAC V800 features the superior resampling mode - either way, make up your own mind !

The biggest problem we had to face during construction was the support from the chip company which is really terrible ...

Please note that dedicated drivers are required which can be downloaded here: www.violectric-usa.com 

We have first reports from headphone amp users who claimed glueless installation / operation.

We will offer 2 models of DAC V800 in the future:
DAC V800 with USB 24/96 for approx 925 EUR (excl. VAT)
DAC V800 with USB 24/192 for approx 1000 EUR (excl. VAT)

The new 24/192 module is retrofitable into ALL existing DAC V800 units !

So, if somebody wants to upgrade there are 2 ways to proceed.

- When you are familiar with a screw driver do it on your own. Is nothing but screwing and plugging a cable (Torx T8, T10 and 3mm allen key required)
- When you want to be sure that the new module is installed and checked in a professional way ship it to the factory (Germany) or to your US distributor.

The prices:
USB 24/192 module for DAC V800 = 168 EUR (excl. VAT)
If shipped to the factory the above price includes the installation and check.
Please note that we have to charge shipping costs to your destination (approx 15 EUR for Europe, 30 EUR for the USA, 40 EUR for Asia)

Special offer to those who purchased a DAC V800 from 01.01.2013 until now = 126 EUR (excl. VAT)

If there are any further questions dont hesitate to ask.

Best Regards

Fried Reim, CEO of Lake People and Violectric

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #644 of 828
Thanks Fried! I don't think I really need the 24/192, but great to know that it's an easy upgrade if I decide I do.

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #645 of 828
  Hello everybody.

The new USB 24/192 module for V800 is now in production and can be delivered end of April. 
The USB 24/192 module uses the same input circuitry which can be found on the USB 24/192 module for the headphone amps V100 / V181 and V200.
It is the Tenor TE8022, although this chip is not so high regarded it performs perfect under Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and MAC OS.
Tenor TE8022 also features "asynchronous mode".
This is nice to have but for my opinion not really neccessary as DAC V800 features the superior resampling mode - either way, make up your own mind !

The biggest problem we had to face during construction was the support from the chip company which is really terrible ...

Please note that dedicated drivers are required which can be downloaded here: www.violectric-usa.com 

We have first reports from headphone amp users who claimed glueless installation / operation.

We will offer 2 models of DAC V800 in the future:
DAC V800 with USB 24/96 for approx 925 EUR (excl. VAT)
DAC V800 with USB 24/192 for approx 1000 EUR (excl. VAT)

The new 24/192 module is retrofitable into ALL existing DAC V800 units !

So, if somebody wants to upgrade there are 2 ways to proceed.

- When you are familiar with a screw driver do it on your own. Is nothing but screwing and plugging a cable (Torx T8, T10 and 3mm allen key required)
- When you want to be sure that the new module is installed and checked in a professional way ship it to the factory (Germany) or to your US distributor.

The prices:
USB 24/192 module for DAC V800 = 168 EUR (excl. VAT)
If shipped to the factory the above price includes the installation and check.
Please note that we have to charge shipping costs to your destination (approx 15 EUR for Europe, 30 EUR for the USA, 40 EUR for Asia)

Special offer to those who purchased a DAC V800 from 01.01.2013 until now = 126 EUR (excl. VAT)

If there are any further questions dont hesitate to ask.

Best Regards

Fried Reim, CEO of Lake People and Violectric

Finally!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back