Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Apr 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #646 of 828
Congratulations to violectric for offer this possibility instead of make a new dac. V800 and V200 are my best audio investissement. The sound is awesome and i'll keep attention of the usb upgrade reviews..

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #647 of 828
Hello everybody.

The new USB 24/192 module for V800 is now in production and can be delivered end of April. 
The USB 24/192 module uses the same input circuitry which can be found on the USB 24/192 module for the headphone amps V100 / V181 and V200.
It is the Tenor TE8022, although this chip is not so high regarded it performs perfect under Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and MAC OS.
Tenor TE8022 also features "asynchronous mode".

This is nice to have but for my opinion not really neccessary as DAC V800 features the superior resampling mode - either way, make up your own mind !

The biggest problem we had to face during construction was the support from the chip company which is really terrible ...

Please note that dedicated drivers are required which can be downloaded here: www.violectric-usa.com 

We have first reports from headphone amp users who claimed glueless installation / operation.

We will offer 2 models of DAC V800 in the future:
DAC V800 with USB 24/96 for approx 925 EUR (excl. VAT)
DAC V800 with USB 24/192 for approx 1000 EUR (excl. VAT)

The new 24/192 module is retrofitable into ALL existing DAC V800 units !

So, if somebody wants to upgrade there are 2 ways to proceed.

- When you are familiar with a screw driver do it on your own. Is nothing but screwing and plugging a cable (Torx T8, T10 and 3mm allen key required)
- When you want to be sure that the new module is installed and checked in a professional way ship it to the factory (Germany) or to your US distributor.

The prices:
USB 24/192 module for DAC V800 = 168 EUR (excl. VAT)
If shipped to the factory the above price includes the installation and check.
Please note that we have to charge shipping costs to your destination (approx 15 EUR for Europe, 30 EUR for the USA, 40 EUR for Asia)

Special offer to those who purchased a DAC V800 from 01.01.2013 until now = 126 EUR (excl. VAT)

If there are any further questions dont hesitate to ask.

Best Regards

Fried Reim, CEO of Lake People and Violectric

Can we use this modules on the amps as well? (Eg v200).

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #649 of 828
Apr 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #650 of 828

I want to know one thing: 3 times when i turn on my V800 (before V200), it locks into position error (red light) instead of lock (blue light). in this case, the USB interface TE7022 is not recognized by the computer and I have to turn off and on several times to unlock. Is this the beginning of an electronic problem or just a random problem which can happen in case of bad start. Anyone known this problem ?

Fried, also, I listen mostly with cd source, usb 24/192 upgrade is useful in this case?

thanks for your response

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #651 of 828
I've gotten the Lock Error a few times over the last year or two. I also get similar lock issues on other DACs, every once in a while. I think it's just a random error. But of course if it increases in frequency, that points to some other issue.

For CD source, the upgrade won't change a thing. CD is all 16/44.1 so it doesn't matter. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #652 of 828
thank you, your message reassures me if it's just a random problem.
I do not worry too much I'm still under warranty for 2 years.
I've never had this kind of problem with my audio-gd DAC.

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #654 of 828
Concerning locking issues.
USB is not a very reliable connection and the last idea the inventors had in mind was to distribute sound files.
So, sometimes it happens that a device (not only sound) is not recognized or that the computer playback volume is set to 50 % or other things.
There are more issues also with other USB devices which can temporarily been solved by reconnecting.

Concerning Opto 24/192 and Coax 24/192 add-ons for Violectric headphone amps:
At first glance it makes little sense to go for the 192k solutions when only a CD player is connected.
But the 192 modules have enhanced DACs on board (PCM 1798 instead of PCM 1973) together with much better analog output circuitry which ends up in better sound.

If its worth to replace the old module is an individual decision
wink_face.gif

@ Fradoca, see you in Munich !!

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #655 of 828

Concerning Opto 24/192 and Coax 24/192 add-ons for Violectric headphone amps:
At first glance it makes little sense to go for the 192k solutions when only a CD player is connected.
But the 192 modules have enhanced DACs on board (PCM 1798 instead of PCM 1973) together with much better analog output circuitry which ends up in better sound.

If its worth to replace the old module is an individual decision
wink_face.gif

Thank you for mentioning that - my advise earlier was incorrect! I guess I didn't think it through well enough before posting. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #656 of 828
Apr 15, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #657 of 828
I was browsing the spec sheets and noticed this:
"The PCM1793 provides balanced voltage outputs, allowing the user to optimize analog performance externally."
"The PCM1798 provides balanced current outputs, allowing the user to optimize analog performance externally."

I wonder how that affects the surrounding circuitry and whether that affects the end result.

Sources:
http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1793
http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1798

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #658 of 828
@ BeyerMonster

you are right I meant PCM 1798 and PCM 1793

DACs with voltage output (PCM 1793), be them balanced or unbalanced, are easier to handle as the designer only needs to add a bit filtering in front of an opamp and the desired voltage gain in the feedback loop - ready !
DACs with current output (PCM 1798) normally own balanced outputs.
The designer first has to make a current -> voltage conversion (here also the gain make-up may take place), afterwards the filtering and than follows most time a differential amp which also buffers the signal for the next stages.
The above describes the minimum efforts. With true balanced designs as can be found inside DAC V800 there is much more circuitry.
The disadvantage with current output DACs is that you need more parts, the advantage is that most times (as you have influence on the components quality) the result is better.
ALL high quality DACs are current output types.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #659 of 828
I really do not know that much about the engineering of sound. ..but a couple of years ago, I did a lot of reading , gulped hard and bought a Violetric V200 & V800 (attached photo I created of my units) and then gulped harder and ordered a set of LCD-2's. I cannot tell you how pleased I am with the sound that comes out of this set-up. Project 86, thanks for explaining about this equipment based on your intelligence and wealth of experience...you made something that could have been overwhelmingly complicated very simple. Now, next time, if you could do this for about 1/3 the price...I would greatly appreciate it! LOL!

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #660 of 828
  The new USB 24/192 module for V800 is now in production and can be delivered end of April. 

Quote:
  But the 192 modules have enhanced DACs on board (PCM 1798 instead of PCM 1973(sic)) together with much better analog output circuitry which ends up in better sound.

Hmm...
This is getting a bit out of my element, but I glanced at the manual and I couldn't find the Tenor chip, but I did find what looks like the connector for a USB daughterboard. It also looks like it has a SMT PCM 1792A (as opposed to the PCM1793 that you mentioned was part of the V200 daughterboard)..

So does that mean the V800 upgrade would not include a DAC chip upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back