Review: Violectric V800 DAC
Jul 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #482 of 828
Really liking my v200/v800 stack
Thinking about getting upgraded power cords and interconnections, any Recommendations?I know it has been discuss somewhere here but too many pages back
Just fine running at this stage. Thanks in advance.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #483 of 828
Quote:
Thinking about getting upgraded power cords and interconnections, any Recommendations?I know it has been discuss somewhere here but too many pages back

Lake People/Violectric would tell you that you don't need fancy cables. Some here would agree, some wouldn't. Personally I think if you get the itch to upgrade, try cables from a smaller manufacturer who doesn't build marketing costs into every cable they sell. And try to find one with some type of in-home trial period where they can be returned if you dislike them.

I use Cabledyne stuff for AC and interconnects. They satisfy both criteria. But of course there are many options. 

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #485 of 828
Originally Posted by snapple10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Right around when my Vio stack arrived, I got a pair of 6ft "audiophile"-type power cords for it from eBay (they were fairly inexpensive, too: ~$60/each).  There's plenty of Asian sellers on the 'Bay who hawk these.. find one with good feedback & communication and you'll be fine.  My transaction was very smooth.  The cord I received looked identical to what was pictured in the sale and the build was superb.  I'm still using them to this day & couldn't be happier with them.

As far as other cables.. my coax cable (used with my USB-to-SPDIF converter) & balanced cables (to connect the V800 to the V200) are made by Blue Jeans Cables.  Nothing fancy as far as looks.. but the build is professional & robust.  The plug terminations (which is arguably, the most important part of an IC) are very well done.  They use HQ materials (pro quality wires with very low capacitance & excellent shielding).  BJC is very well respected around HeadFi (and elsewhere) cause of their HQ cables at very reasonable costs (much cheaper than the boutique cable dealers).

The total cost for my power cords & ICs (combined) came to ~$200.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #486 of 828
I guess my plan was always to get the cables last
Might not be able hear the difference but like the idea that nothing is lacking - no weak link - from source to my brain:)
Thanks for your inputs
S

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #487 of 828
I'm shopping for a power cord now as mine won't be coming with one. I'll probably spend about £25 on that and stick to unbalanced cables for the time being. I spend a moderate amount on peripherals. Nothing too cheapy but you certainly wouldn't catch me paying £800 for some RCA interconnects.

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #488 of 828
Lake People/Violectric would tell you that you don't need fancy cables. Some here would agree, some wouldn't. Personally I think if you get the itch to upgrade, try cables from a smaller manufacturer who doesn't build marketing costs into every cable they sell. And try to find one with some type of in-home trial period where they can be returned if you dislike them.

I use Cabledyne stuff for AC and interconnects. They satisfy both criteria. But of course there are many options. 

Have you tried this DAC using the USB input?

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #490 of 828
I switched from USB to optical for that little bit of extra placebo benefit.  
smile_phones.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #492 of 828
Since getting into head-fi I've become a great fan of the placebo effect.  It's brought massive improvements in detail, soundstage and tonal balance.  Night and day differences!  
smile_phones.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #493 of 828
ROTFL guys, very witty :D

Having joined head-fi and learned about expectation bias and placebo, I had high hopes it could make my partner look and behave like (insert name of your favorite celebrity/movie/tv actor/actress here ->) ________________.

Sadly, it has not worked out :frowning2:

(I joke of course. My wife is beautiful).

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #494 of 828
Speaking of USB inputs..I'm getting V800 soon :) and will use USB input.

Did anyone try any of tinygreen PC solutions, like FitPC2?

I have a PC but it is very noisy. A fanlsess/silent setup is the best; something that runs windows > Foobar2000 kernel > usb > v800 > v200 > headphones > happy!
Can be easily controlled with android remotely :)

I researched on SB which is discontinued, C.A.P.S which is costly and way more than needed.
Building custom-built is too much hassle, and buyign pre-built silent PCs are expensive. (~1000$+).

FitPC2 seems like a good match given price, can stream music via LAN/WiFi, it is silent and not bad looking.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #495 of 828
Quote:
Speaking of USB inputs..I'm getting V800 soon :) and will use USB input.

Did anyone try any of tinygreen PC solutions, like FitPC2?

I have a PC but it is very noisy. A fanlsess/silent setup is the best; something that runs windows > Foobar2000 kernel > usb > v800 > v200 > headphones > happy!
Can be easily controlled with android remotely :)

I researched on SB which is discontinued, C.A.P.S which is costly and way more than needed.
Building custom-built is too much hassle, and buyign pre-built silent PCs are expensive. (~1000$+).

FitPC2 seems like a good match given price, can stream music via LAN/WiFi, it is silent and not bad looking.

Why don't you use a laptop instead? Or any netbook, ultrabook whichever one has a usb port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back