Review: Violectric V800 DAC
May 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #451 of 828
I am about to receive a V800 and I am going to use it with my V200 in balanced mode.

I have these XLR cables from TAM audio [the same ones Project86 is using] but I have opened up the connectors and noticed that pin1 on both sides is only connected to the cable shield and not the connector body.

In the V800 manual it states :

[size=10.000000pt]In case of balanced cables, it should always been verified if the shield of the cable is connected to the shell of the XLR connector. The shell is ALWAYS connected to earth potential when the connector is inserted !! [/size]

Should I then connect pin 1 on both sides to the connector shell?

May 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #452 of 828
Ok, my bad...I misunderstood the sentence in the manual which states" [size=10pt]In case of balanced cables, it should always been verified if the shield of the cable is connected to the shell of the XLR connector."[/size]

[size=10pt]It also shows on the wiring diagram and states that "the case of the connector should NOT be wired to the shield of the cable"[/size]

[size=10pt]So the cables are fine as they are...[/size]

[size=10pt]Perhaps the manual should be reworded in that first section...it is a little confusing...[/size]

May 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #453 of 828
Quote:
I just joined the V800 owners club. I already have the V200 and sold the V100. It's warming up right now

You know we love it when you 
smiley_thumb.gif
 sling photographs across the pond.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #456 of 828
I just took delivery of my V800 to compliment my V200 and LCD-2.2.Right out of the box it sounds terrific,but I am a burn-in believer,so i am going to let it play for a week and see if things can improve even further.Nice clean looking stack with a small footprint,gotta like that!!!

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #457 of 828
Quote:
I just took delivery of my V800 to compliment my V200 and LCD-2.2.Right out of the box it sounds terrific,but I am a burn-in believer,so i am going to let it play for a week and see if things can improve even further.Nice clean looking stack with a small footprint,gotta like that!!!

It sure will be more opened, revealed, bass will be extended and deeper, so is the soundtage.

I wasn't impressed much when they were out of the box compared to the Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo, but after ~300 hours, they are on the higher league in every aspect. Btw, I get better sq when connecting them with balanced cables, so try them as well. Have fun with your stack! :wink:

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #458 of 828
Thanks......listening to it right now,my ears are happy,and yes I went with balanced cables right from the start.It sounds great right now(20 hours burn),any more improvements would just be a bonus.

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #459 of 828
With most of the hifi audio (amps, phones, DACs, etc.) I've had extended time with.. I haven't heard much improvement (in terms of sound) past fifty to one hundred hours... except for the Violectric stack.  I'm not sure if it's the V800, V200, or both (since I've exclusively used this pair together), but this combo does seem to sound noticeably better after many hours of use.  To my ears, it sounds more tonally accurate, dynamic, controlled, smooth, and refined now (after a solid three months of (non-continuous) use) than it did out of the box, or even a month after I received the combo.  I can't explain it, but the sound quality from this combo sounds so mature and clean now.  Very effortless.

I absolutely love it & have no desire to get another (solid-state) desktop combo.  Plus, I marvel at its beautiful looks & design everyday!

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #460 of 828
Yea,its funny,initially I was quite impressed with the sound, then on day 2 it seemed to sound almost a little harsh???Today is the fourth day of constant use and its sounding cleaner with nice impact,might be in my head not my ears but I do think I am hearing some changes.Think I will let er run for 2 weeks,then stop being so critical of the sound and just start enjoying
happy_face1.gif

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #462 of 828
Just as a follow up,I can confirm that an adapter like the one below can be used in the balanced digital input to give you an extra coax input if needed......

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #463 of 828
Question for you V800 owners... on the violectric page, I found:

Quote:
Variable Output:      adjustable in the digital domain
Analog outputs:      2 x XLR, electronically ballanced
                             2 x Cinch, unbalanced 

Is this implying that the analog outputs are not affected by the volume control?  I'd like to be able to hook it up with balanced cables to my V200, and use the analog outs to drive some powered speakers using the volume control on the V800.. but is that how it works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back